2 hour test!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Clemptor, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Feed him high carb food now.

3. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

I have karo syrup??

4. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

re-tested just in case, at 37 :(

5. mimi4neeyah and Loki

mimi4neeyah and Loki Member

Has he eaten anything since the 39 reading?

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

yes, go with karo.... test every 15min I would think.... karo wears off quickly so just give small amounts....if you see a rising number, hold the karo but still keep testing every 15min, OK?

7. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

A little wet food, I just put a bit of karo syrup on his gums, he's not acting any different than usual.

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

As a precaution I would rub some Karo on his gums now and I hope you have plenty of test strips.

9. mimi4neeyah and Loki

Ok I am a nervous newbie myself just ask Sue LOL, but that should be fine I think I would retest him in 20 minutes. And do not forget to take deeps breaths. I hope Sue sees this and says I did ok? Let us know.

10. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

God, this poor cats ears. :sad: It was a blood bath earlier, I feel like a sadist.

11. mimi4neeyah and Loki

Do you have the antibiotic cream to put on his ears? it's over the counter and there is one with something that helps for pain.

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

how's he acting? odd or like nothing's wrong.
    You have enough test strips? Also, you know the nearest vet ER by you, just in case you have trouble bringing his numbers up or he starts acting oddly?

13. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

I'll salve him when he's leveled out.

14. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

uuuh, the closest vet wanted me to buy an alpha trak, I'm not sure if there's one around here I trust.

15. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

He's curled up next to me, acting normal, occasionally chirping at me.

16. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

Okay, back to 40. Whew.

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

doesn't matter....a vet should be able to handle a hypo cat; that's something that you can't do at home if too low, ok? if the vet you know is nearby and open, it should be good enough.... that's if you need to go.
    I am glad he is acting normal.... one of my civies normally tests around 42, but a diabetic getting insulin..... "Feed the 40s" and 39 is definitely a feed.

If you are feeding a food, give only tiny amounts as you don't want him to be full and refusing to eat.
    Also, lots of cats get sick and vomit from too much karo after their numbers are back up, so don't be surprised if he's nauseous later.

Just keep testing every 15min and you want the numbers to rise, and stay up. You'll likely see a bounce later, so don't worry about that.

And 40 is up but not really a movement from the 39 and 37.... you want to see something above 50 and staying there, no drops or wobbles.

18. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

If this test is only +2 from the time you shot him on a 191, he dropped like a rock and you have a long way to go before his may peak. Test every 15 minutes and I hope he will eat for you. Some cats can go into the 20's, some only 50's.....ECID. Some cats may show nothing is going on till they start seizing. Mishka can go into the 20's but from MC's former owner she started having a seizure in the low 50's. I spent one night with her, sleeting and freezing rain, rubbing her gums with Karo max every 10 minutes. She wouldn't eat, didn't want ice cream, and she kept going down. No one to go with me to ER to continue giving Karo so we managed it at home.

If need be, keep rubbing Karo on the gums....he may go up a little and then down again so it is a roller coaster ride till that insulin wears out. Do not syringe Karo.

19. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

He ate a couple of soft treats and the rest of his wet food from this morning, so his appetite is alright at the moment. Problem here is this is the first time I've tried to do his curve, maybe he's BEEN dropping?

20. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Nope, no whew! Karo and some food nudged him a litle but that insulin is still working and will bring him down again.

21. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Mishka ate 3 cans of FF in gravy and high carb treats one Christmas day......insulin was still winning and it was IDEXX PZI. MC and Mishka are both on BCP PZI. Both insulins are U40.

22. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

On the upside of this...he has earned himself a reduction in dose... :D Trying to find the positives. Gotta run myself as mine just decided to drop from 197 to 30 must be the day for hypo watch.

You're in good hands with the ladies here, they will stay with you until he is back in safe stable numbers again, just remember IF he is high enough to shoot tonight to reduce the dose.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

23. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

Christ, what a mess, I barely gave him any insulin, .25 on the high end, I didn't even feel the plunger depress...

24. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I think you are right.... he's likely been going low other times - you said he's acting perfectly normal - well, most cats show no outward signs of hypo, and that's why the testing is so very very important.
    Good catch on your part!
    Keep testing every 15min and get the numbers over 50 and staying there. Until there are up, careful on the food as you don't want him full, then the numbers drop, and he refuses to eat because he's full.

Now after this is all over, go and try practicing your measuring of a 0.1u dose!

25. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

I need better syringes. Anyone need a years worth of U40's? :roll:

26. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

37 again, does this cat even NEED insulin??

27. Not a mess at all, actually. What you're seeing is the effect of removing dry food from Floyd's diet. Now it looks like he might need a drop or two of insulin, perhaps for a short period of time, and he might be well on the way to becoming a "diet controlled diabetic" kitty.

Nice job catching the low number, and very happy you were able to get lots of great help immediately.

Do you have any food that is not-low-carb, that isn't dry? I would rub a little karo. Or you can mix a few drops of karo into his food if he'll eat it that way. Like Blue said, you want to give small portions at a time, and test every 20-30 minutes until he gets up higher.

Carl

28. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Have any higher carb treats? Rub some more Karo on the gums and test every 15 minutes. If he will eat, mix some Karo into the food also.

29. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

He just ate half a can of FF, poor dude was starving, he hasn't eaten like that in a long time. Stupid, stupid dry food. :evil:

30. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Is there something in the air today, Mel? Gobbles dropped to 40 earlier today and so did Sabrina!!!

31. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

If someone says anything about the moon being in retrograde I'm going to have to :roll:

32. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

53...lookin' better.

33. That does look better. But another spoon of food and another test in 30 would be a great idea. You've seen how he's gone "up and down" and that could continue for a while.

Carl

34. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Don't relax or stop testing yet. Food spiked him up a little, he may go back down. Not enough info yet on his nadir time.....too new.

35. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

No plans to stop testing, he's napping now, should I continue to shove food in his face or leave him be for a bit?

36. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

Well, he's eating again, check again in 30.

37. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh wow. He is giving you an interesting afternoon.

If he stays in that 40 range, I would give him a little of the higher wet carb if you have any. If he drops below, then a little of the syrup on his gums. As others have said, he has a way to go before he is likely to start back up. So move around on the edge of the ear so you are poking in different places and put a tiny smear of the neosporin on. You do need to test every 20 minutes.

38. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

Who can tell with him, Sue. He may have been doing this the entire time, you would never know by his behavior! Sleep, purr, chirp, repeat. His appetite is definitely increasing toward the wet food, so at least there's no problem with transitioning him.

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It's good he is feeling good. We would not want to see any odd behavior - howling or acting like he is confused. But you do need to stay on top of the numbers and make sure he stays above that 40 mark.

You are doing great! The first time you see low numbers is a little scary but we will look out for you.

40. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

55, now.
    Thanks! This definitely requires some hand-holding and you definitely aren't going to get that from a vet clinic.

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We want to see three tests that are rising before you can relax and give his ears a break. It is possible that he may rise and fall for a while yet. How long ago was the shot (In hours)?

42. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

4 1/2 hours since the injection, I've been updating his spreadsheet.

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So you still need to be monitoring for another 1.5 at least and get those 3 rising numbers.

44. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

63!
    37 @ 1:50
    53 @ 2:30
    55 @ 3:00
    63 @ 3:30

45. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looking good! You still want to get past that +6.

46. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

I'll keep feeding him periodically and let his ears rest for awhile, maybe test him around 5:30, 6 pm.

47. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, good job catching that low +2 and staying on top of it.

You get the award for initiation by fire.

Hang in there.

48. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

86 at the +6 mark

49. mimi4neeyah and Loki

flip_cat Looks good, great job today

50. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Four days after joining and you're already getting baptized by fire! Great job of sticking with it and getting those numbers back up! :thumbup And, Mr. Floyd, next time try to not be so melodramatic if you wanna go otj_icon, okay?

Now that'd just be silly because the Moon can't be in retrograde. :lol: ;-) Mercury and Saturn are in retrograde, however.... :razz:

51. Clemptor

Clemptor Member

12+ in and he's at 142, not ideal but better than 300, he didn't eat much after either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.