2 meters, same drop of blood, major difference

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather and Raja (GA), Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather and Raja (GA)

Heather and Raja (GA) Member

I decided to do a little experiment with the meters.

I have a relion meter which I just bought tonight and a trutrack meter that I bought about 3 weeks ago

The relion meter shows Raja's BG is 63 while the trutrack shows 98.

Same drop of blood.

So which one do I believe? I have 4 more trutrack test strips so I can try the 'experiment' 4 more times but I have a feeling the results are going to be just as far apart as they are right now

Also which reading do I use for my chart, or should I make a note of both of them?

2. Each meter has a +/- 20% margin of error
    63 +20% = 75
    98 -20% = 78
    So they can technically both be right. I'd use 75 or 80 on my chart.
    Bright side - both numbers are in the "normal" range!

Carl

3. Heather and Raja (GA)

Ok thanks, I used 75 on my chart.

Just seems odd that there is such a big difference in them

4. Heather,
    There were times I tested Bob twice using the same meter both times within 2 minutes and got numbers that were 30-40 apart. One of your meters may be more accurate than the other, but I think it's the FDA that allows for meters to have that sort of range of variance.

Carl

5. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Different meters are often consistently at different places in the 20% range. I have used the Advocate Redi-Code, which tests on the high end of the 20% while I've found the Relion tests on the lower end.

I do know that the True meters are known for being less than accurate in reviews... probably good that you are switching! FYI, the Arkray Glucocard 01 is the generic version of the Relion Confirm meter. You can get strips for them much cheaper than Walmart's prices at ADW.

6. Heather and Raja (GA)

Thanks! I didn't know that, it was 19 and some change for 50 test strips at walmart but I need to buy other supplies so I'll buy it all online

7. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

In my unscientific study of watching the results of cats on this board, it seems to me that the Relion does run lower than other meters. It should not matter because we are looking at trends and want to stick to one meter when we test.

A 20-30 point difference shouldn't make a difference on most of our decisions other than on the low end when we watch a little closer if we are getting into hypo territory and watching our cats closely isn't a bad thing.

We use the Accu-check and went into OTJ trial while in the 80s right along the ReliOn meter users in the 50-60s, it didn't make a difference in our decisions. I am glad we didn't use the ReliOn, I had enough heart stopping moments!

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

There's the whole thing too that supposedly some meters are deliberately set to run 30 points low at the low end to prevent people from getting complacent and hypoing themselves. I don't know if that's true or which meters do that (maybe all of them do, I'm not sure), but given the difference btwn the 2 readings you got, it makes me curious if the one does that, and then other doesn't. Just speculating though.

When I had two meters I did some simultaneous testing for a while just out of curiousity. The results were interesting, but inconsistent enough to still leave a lot of questions. You might try that just for fun and see if you find a pattern between the two meters.

The key point I think is what others have said - pick the meter you like and use that one or you'll drive yourself crazy. After using the two meters I did and seeing the differences, I have a lot less faith in any one number being "correct", I look at them as more useful for point to a trend, and for a general sense of the range. You have to take into account behaviour, symptoms, overall picture, as well as the numbers.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Joanna stated:
    "There's the whole thing too that supposedly some meters are deliberately set to run 30 points low at the low end to prevent people from getting complacent and hypoing themselves. I don't know if that's true or which meters do that (maybe all of them do, I'm not sure), but given the difference btwn the 2 readings you got, it makes me curious if the one does that, and then other doesn't. Just speculating though."

Years ago a member contacted two meter manufactures, both said it would be in violation FDA rules to have a meter deliberately read low.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

If you look at the beginning of Maui's chart, you will see that I too used the tru track meter and one touch. The numbers never made any sense with the tru track and I returned the meter.

The advice I was given, was to stick with one meter brand and get rid of the other. I've used several one touches and never had bizarre readings like with the tru track.

My advice - return the tru track and just use relion.

11. I know that I've read here to stay away from any meter with "true" in the meter name.
    Carl

12. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I started out w/ a "true" meter. I got close reading in the low ranges, but increasingly greater differences as the numbers rose, over 100 points difference. I got rid of mine.

13. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I started out with a True Track and it was horrible - lots of errors and wasted test strips and it required a lot of blood. garbage can was the best place for it.

I love my Maxima meter from Hocks

14. Heather and Raja (GA)

I like how little blood the relion needs. So much easier and I noticed I have yet to waste a test strip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.