2 tests are at 558

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by allen, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allen

allen New Member

Hi, I just started Tiger on 2 units twice a day and I am having a hard time getting blood from his ear. I was able to get 2 test at 558 and 559, 6 hours and 12 hours after injection, which seams like the humulin n insulin isn't working. I started with the lancet needle size 33g and 30g, which wasn't to successful at drawing blood, so I am going to try 28g. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mystery

Mystery Member

Hi Allen and welcome to FDMB.

I'm not an expert on dosing or the effects of the humulin insulin, but I've read here on multiple occassions that humulin is not a very good insulin for cats because it is very fast acting, and wears of quite quickly. That could explain >500 #s at +6. I hope others more familiar with humulin and its effectiveness will see your post soon and offer some advice. It might be helpful if you edit your post title to include the question mark icon and refer to using the humulin.

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Humulin is a lousy insulin for cats, it hits hard and wears off far too quickly leaving the cat on a roller coaster ride of going very high then dropping very low very fast again. It is a fine insulin for humans and dogs but cats metabolize insulin twice as fast as either a human or a dog. At max Humulin N lasts about 4-5 hours in a cat.

Is there anyway you could get your vet to change insulins to one of the big three, Lantus, Levermir or PZI any one of the three would be a much better choice for cats. I only have limited experience with Humulin N and I know some cats have done okay on it but they are few and far between. If you can get your vet to switch insulins I think you will see much better results.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The larger gauge lancet should help. Are you warming the ear also?

We have had cats regulated on Humulin but it is a hard insulin to work with.

What food are you feeding? We feed wet LO carb. (www.catinfo.org)

5. allen

allen New Member

Thank you all for your replies and your advice,This website is comforting. The 26 gauge worked great and tigers +5 was 403 so I can take more test now.
    I will be seeing the vet this weekend and mentioning the other 3 insulins you mention thanks. Can anyone mention a plan to regulate?

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, the candle scared me. We use it to indicate a cat has died...Glad it is not the case for you. :smile:

Here is a primer on Humulin: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=303

Regulation. One of the problems is that very few people have used it; I don't think we have anyone presently using it. So it is hard to get advice on dosing when you need it. I have helped a few people with it but have no direct experience. You can go over to the Humulin forum and check out some of the old threads with spreadsheets to see how others were working with it. None of the posts are active: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=19 The reason that regulation is so hard with it is that Humulin tends to be a harsh insulin in most cats, taking their levels down within 3-4 hours of onset instead of 6, and it doesn't last the 12 hours. So instead of a gentle curve with a low spot at +6 and a gentle curve back up at +12, it tends to dive down and go rapidly back up. Some cats do not have this pattern and do have a gentler curve. They are the ones that may be regulated.

The initial numbers you have tend to support a harsh pattern, unless you are feeding dry high carb. That can make a huge difference in the high numbers. If you are feeding wet lo carb, and this is the pattern he is going to have, regulation will be very hard.

If you can get any of the other milder, longer lasting insulins, it would be easiest for you and your kitty.

7. allen

allen New Member

Oh no, didn't know about the candle. Tiger is hanging in there, where there is life there is hope. Thank you Sue and Oliver for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.