2 unit increase -nervous

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Nancy and Cody, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

see my last post ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5967 ), about my vet consult re acromegaly.

Gradual increases from 2-7u haven't changed his curves so she wants us to jump 2.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

With Norton, we did increases 1 unit at a time and held for one week when we were not home testing but going to the vet every week.

After we started home testing, we held doses for 3 days (6 shots) before changing

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I don't like that. Has she discussed using R to help? The PZI girls can help you with a starting R scale if you're interested. I used and still use it when Leo is running high and flat, but I use Levemir so I doubt my data would help you at all. As far as that increase, 2u seems far too steep. I don't have hands-on experience with PZI-R but I have read their study and release notes about it and it seems to be a longer duration insulin than PZI-Vet or BCP PZI so I would say that could be very hazardous. With the longer duration insulins, if you make a jump like that, the results are really hard to read. With acro's we really want to be careful, more careful than with a standard diabetic, of hypo. Acro's have functioning pancreases.. so if the liver or tumor were to falter, you could have an hours long hypo event.

I just saw you got your results back, I'm sorry I haven't been on HD recently and missed it. How do you feel about them? I am glad you got a diagnosis. It's so much easier once you know what you're working with, I was really relieved Leo came back positive oddly.

(((hugs))) to you and scritches to your boy!!

4. Nancy and Cody

Well so far, no fireworks.
    Check out his ss.
    Come on Carolyn, I thought you would be the brave one. No wonder every one else is silent

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Have you read the recent article about Acromegaly in Barnbuddy's thread?

It references a study that found 26% of diabetic cats met the clinical criteria for dx of acromegaly (in a "retrospective North American study").

6. Nancy and Cody

Phoebe, Are you talking about the link from the Sciencedigest.... link in my post "what should I ask my vet?" I referenced it in Barnbuddies post, told her to print it and give it to her vet. Heather told me about it, I found it, and I burned it onto a disc for my vet yesterday. The author was Neissen or something like that... It's an excellent and current article I thought. (Hope my vet reads it)

I would really love to know the percentage of high dose kitties here that turn out positive for acro.

Thanks for posting- HD was a lonely forum today! ;-)

7. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were lonely! I would have posted, but I was out of town.

Boo was on Lantus; I don't know how the insulins compare. However, I don't think I ever did more than a 1u increase and I held doses for 3 days. However, as Carolyn mentioned, I also used R to combat the ugly numbers while we were on the way up. R is Humulin R - you can actually get it w/o a prescription in the US (go figure....it's also one of the most powerful/dangerous insulins!). It's safer to work the combination because R is a short-acting insulin.

How did you find the full text of the article? My vet told me about it, and I read it in her office, but I've been waiting and waiting for her to scan me a PDF. Do you have to have a subscription to that site? Thank you so much for posting that link!

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I just registered free at the site, the clicked on the PDF at the top of the Abstract and got the full 8 pages or whatever the amount is.
    You can sign up as well and have yourself a copy.

Isn't an increase of 2u an awful lot? I was worried about going up a 0.5u to 8u; I am pretty sure I would tell my vet to fly a kite if she suggested going up 2u. Then again Shadoe's on Lantus so maybe that's a difference situation.

9. Nancy and Cody

:lol: :lol: if you ask my DH, he would say that I've become more than a bit obsessed with my new laptop, and with all this new info and a diagnosis, and a possibility of actually bringing Cody's numbers under control for the first time in 2 1/2 years... well yes I've been obsessed. I don't have a subscription, I just did a google search for Feline Journal (which is what you said) and acromegaly, and tried recent issues, and there it was. Luck I guess and persistance. I would download it to your computer before the link disappears. THANK YOU for mentioning the article!

What do you think of Cody's ss? hopeful I think. have to admit that I was a bit nervous going out for 2 hrs just now, but he was ok.

nancy

10. Nancy and Cody

It is a bit radical, but Cody has never had a hypo in over 2.5 years of being a sugarcat, and he has never been regulated.
    If you look at our ss, everytime I increase , he just absorbs it like nothing happens. If you notice he barely responded to the increase yesterday, but maybe its starting to take hold today. You can be sure i'm going to be close by watching him.

When she suggested it, I was like WOW,
    but then I thought, I'm in control, I have a cat that would eat a whole loaf of bread at once given half a chance, and I can test to my hearts content, his ears bleed and heal well and he doesn't get mad about it, and I have never seen a double digit number ever, ever, (unless I am testing my civie). As for the health of his pancreas, if high sugar damages the cells, then its been fried for probably 3 years. And I have plenty of strips, so bring it on, and PLEASE WORK. nailbite_smile nailbite_smile @-) confused_cat

11. Nancy and Cody

and yes I think lantus is a lot longer acting. My first bottle of Prozinc seemed to last longer and I almost thought I could go QD, but lately he's been bouncing back up into 300's about +10-11 hours .

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

At any rate, even if unconventional, let's hope it works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.