2 Years in and ready for a more control...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by baxtermama, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baxtermama

baxtermama New Member

I first want to thank this community for all it's help and insight over the past year to helping me become a better kitty mama to my diabetic boy Baxter. It's been almost 2 years since he was diagnosed and he's doing well!

Baxter had his last crisis Sept 2015. His crisis was so bad we thought we were going to have to put him to sleep. He turned around in 24 hours, finally ate and had a bowel movement and the Dr. let us take him home after a week of 24-hour care at Access.

From the moment he came home we've been pretty active in learning as much as we could about diabetic cats. We test him every AM/PM, 2.5-3 units of Lantus every AM/PM, gets 1 can of Fancy Feast Classics every AM/PM and gets a scoop of raw kibble (Freshpet Vital) for lunch. He's ALWAYS hungry! His weight is great and very kitten-like.

We originally had him on the prescription dry kibble and canned food but it got really expensive. We have a total of 3 cats and had to find a cost efficient alternative to feed all of them the same thing. Baxter gets FF Classics and the girls get any type of FF.

Now, I have two main questions:

1. Fancy Feast diet = Unfancy Breath. We need an alternative that's cost efficient, low-carb for Baxter and that all three cats can eat. I take them all to teeth cleanings every 6-12 months but when they open their mouths, I flinch. I recently read that it might be all the crap that FF has and the way it affects their insides.
    2. Baxter is usually around 250-300 every AM/PM. I want to get him closer to 125-200 but giving him a higher dosage just drops him under 100 every next AM/PM reading. What am I missing, what can I be doing to get that number in a lower range? I'm having a hard time finding the balance.
    Thank you all!!!

BaxterMama

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I ffed mainly Friskies with one can of FF Chunky in the morning but that can is split three ways.
    Regarding BG values. The dose is the highest dose the results in the BG not going below about 70 at its lowest point. When that is depends upon the insulin and to some degree the individual cat. YO may not be able to achieve a preshot BG that you desire especially if you use an insulin like ProZinc, N or Vetsulin/Caninsulin. Thus, you also have to take BG between shots periodically
    I suggest that yo add your insulin to you signature.
    Most of use here record our BGs and other information ins a spreadsheet that can be accessed by other in the forum. Here is how to setup that SS
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It is also possible that you may need to lower his dose. Your current dose may be higher than his optimal dose. There is a condition called Somogyi effect that causes the BG to be high when the dose is too high. To protect itself from becoming hypoglycemic the body produces extra glucose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.