2018-04-05 Emmett - First GREEN morning! - AMPS (4.7/85) - PMPS (5.8/104) +2 (3.0/54) +3 (2.8/50)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Previous (April 4)

Emmett had 4.7/85 for his AMPS. I dosed him without waiting this morning :)

As we see by the title, +1 was 5.9/106.

Someone is actually home today, hoping they have the skills to do a +3. When Emmett is in Catland (ie. normal BG range), he's pretty relaxed (well as relaxed as Emmett can be) so hopefully we can get a +3.

@Wendy&Neko
    @Stacy & Asia
    @Bobbie And Bubba
    @carfurby
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)
    @Tracey&Jones

PS. You don't all have to reply all the time, I just ping you because you've helped me in the past and are semi familiar with my fur-child.

Rob

Bellasmom likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start to the day! Hope it continues.

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Great numbers today............

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How exciting to see that green AMPS. Good job shooting. I hope Emmett comes back down soon.

5. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

he's actually having a good day today. his numbers seem to be mid-low blues.

6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Nice green! The 3.75 seems to be a good dose for him right now.

It looks like he's bouncing...and maybe not from that 85. Now that you are seeing greens, you'll have to pay extra attention to lows so that you can keep Emmett safe. It looks like he was breaking a bounce last night and dropped pretty dramatically in the early half of the cycle (not uncommon for bounce breaking cycles), that gives you a tip to what might happen next.

He could have kept dropping the whole cycle and the 85 was his lowest, or he dropped until whatever point and then rose back up near the end of the cycle to that 85. Bounce breaking cycles can be particularly tricky. If you look at Asia's 4/1 pm cycle, you can get an idea of what I'm talking about and how things may have played out for Emmett.

For this particular type of cycle, I probably would have set an alarm for a +8 to see what was going on. As he starts to spend more time in greens and blues, you'll need to attempt to figure out where his nadir is (lowest point in the cycle), as that will give you a rough idea of where the low and rise should be. Nadirs aren't always at the same place, but usually an appreciable pattern will develop. They can change their nadir over time too, just to keep things interesting. :p

I'm excited to see Emmett's progress and looking forward to more blues and greens! :cat:

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

He really did "snap" the other day and started working it.:cat: It's so exciting to see.

8. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Stacy, I know exactly what you’re saying. He potentially could have been lower, but I wasn’t expecting it due to his PM numbers. I’ll have to set alarms in the future.

I looked at your spreadsheet ...wow! I thought I tested a lot! Haha. It’s good to know their ears can take all those punctures! I see you give the Karo quite frequently and at 0.5ml increments, do you use a syringe or something?

If/when Emmett gets to those lows, should I be giving Karo or reduce dose? I thought Karo was emergency kinda thing? I mean I see your 40 numbers so the Karo is right, just asking. And could I use honey or is the Karo required? (Karo == corn syrup?)

R

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Agree with Stacy that it looks like he is going to bounce back up a little bit.

10. Stacy & Asia

I know you weren’t expecting it, and nobody would have expected you to. ;) It will take time, but you’ll start to see this stuff on your own. A lot of cats like to go lower at night, it’s pretty impossible to decipher if Emmett is one of those cats yet, with all the bouncing, but it should manifest soon enough as you approach regulation.

Asia is very patient and sweet, as long as you don’t try to go in her mouth! She’s not bothered with the ear pricks and her ears are much better now, with more testing, than when I first started and bruised them up a bit before I figured out a good technique.

I do give Asia decent amounts of Karo/corn syrup rather frequently for lows and to prevent lows, and yes, I use an oral syringe to measure the amount. Some people rarely or never give Karo and one drop will send their cat to the moon. Asia isn’t one of those cats. :rolleyes: If she has anything looking something like regulation, it’s because we are working very hard over here. She’s not a set it and forget it kind of cat. She is very old and has concurrent issues with her kidneys, heart, pancreas and GI tract, more than one of those things interfere with how she metabolizes and responds to insulin (and Karo too for that matter). Thus all the testing.

You can use corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, simple syrup, high carb gravy (from cat food) to raise BGs fast from a low. You can experiment with different sugars, I started with honey but it didn’t do much for her. Some cats will come up from a lower number with a little low carb snack, some need medium or high carb food or gravy. If you’re in the lime greens for the first time, that’s not the place to experiment, you want to go for the high carb gravy or sugar. Always record what you gave for lows and how much, in time you will see how he responds and know if something is overkill. If under 50, you reduce the next dose by .25 and stick with that.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Congrats on shooting the green. Awesome day for Emmett! Love how fast he's breaking the bounces.:cool:
    I am on the west coast. Other than if I'm up rowing, I am sound asleep for your AMPS. ;)

12. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Emmett is at 54 at his +2

So, I’m obviously gonna monitor him, but like you said above if he goes below 50, tomorrows dose should be 3.5 iu?

I’m not ready to give any syrup yet. I gave him some more food at +2. Will check again in a bit, if he’s any lower I’ll give him some gravy food. Thoughts?

R
    @Stacy & Asia

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  13. Stacy & Asia

He's clearing a bounce so he may have a bit more momentum. Reductions happen, but this dose is working so far, so you don't want a reduction if you can help it. I would test him in 20-30 after you gave that food and see where he is at.

14. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

+3, 2.8/50.

Hmm. He seems fine. Like quite content. Normal relaxed cat. Should I wait to give the gravy?

@Stacy & Asia

15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at your SS, I'm multi-tasking ( cooking dinner :)). Those two readings (54 and 50) are basically the same, it looks like he's slowed down, but me, I'd feed about a teaspoon or two of low carb food and keep him surfing. I'd also check again in about 1/2 hour. It's still mid-cycle.

16. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

I gave him about quarter can of his regular low carb wellness wet food at the +2, perhaps that’s why he’s slowed a bit.

17. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

+4, 3.4/61

Well, if he can keep this up...I'd say it's pretty good! I'm going to test at +5 before I go to bed and perhaps try and get up to test at +7 or +8 -- but, I'm a pretty good sleeper, so not sure I'll be able to do that, haha.

R

18. Christie & Maverick

If you haven't been feeding anything but that LC since +2, you can certainly get a +5 before bed, but it looks like he's on the rise, I think you can skip +7 or +8 and get some sleep.

19. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

+5, 3.8

Sleep time.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  20. Christie & Maverick

Looks like a nice little safe surf for Emmett :D glad you can get some sleep.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.