2018.06.01 | Emmett • Dose advice/insight? | AMPS • 356 |

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Previous post: April 26

Hey all,

Been a while, but Emmett has just been floating along, having some blue numbers but nothing very low. I have been increasing by 0.25 units (sometimes too late...i.e. should have done it sooner -- but only by a few cycles too late). I have been away for the last week or so and had my brother take care of the cat so I didn't want to do any increases at that point.

I have just put Emmett up to 5.25 units as of last night.

Now, the question is, his last super good run of days was around April 26 @ 4.00 units (with almost a week of blue numbers in the morning), now I'm at 5.25 units and I'm not seeing any results anywhere near as good as I did at 4.00 units. Should I still be increasing this or does anyone think perhaps his dose is too high? This is also new insulin batch so it's not like it's expired or anything.

@Wendy&Neko @Stacy & Asia @Bobbie And Bubba @carfurby @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Tracey&Jones @Christie & Maverick @Mandy & Rex @Red & Rover (GA) @Gill & George

Rob

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You are right, you have held some doses too long. That can allow glucose toxicity to set in, meaning you need yet more insulin to overcome it. If you are following TR, which you are other than holding doses too long, you have arrived at Emmett's current dose safely. What's past is past. A cat's insulin needs can change over time. Neko started a 1 unit, got up to 8.75 units, went back down to 0.75, then back up to 7 units, then back to 0.25 over the years she was on Lantus then Levemir. And yes, I also questioned if Neko was on too much insulin at one point. She wasn't, I needed to increase. When looking at dosing, it's only really the last couple of weeks that are relevant, not a month ago.

Just follow the protocol, keep increasing when you should. One slight change I would make, now that he is over 5 units, dose increases should be by 0.5 units at a time, unless he is seeing good greens at that dose. Think of the dose increase as a percent of the total dose. Over 5 units, a 0.25 unit change is very small.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

How is Emmett doing otherwise?

4. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

He seems fine. Coat is looking and feeling good. He was outside (at the cottage) last night, even caught a mouse and wanted to bring it inside -- it was still squeaking and alive, moving around in his mouth.

He does want food, but that's no doubt related to his BG's being high.

Should I give him 5.5 tonight then instead of the 5.25?

Rob

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For doe tonight, it's your call. Either raise to 5.5 and hold for six cycles (assuming no green), or wait another 4 cycles at this dose and raise to 5.75. I preferred dosing on the lines.

Life of the cottage cat. :)

6. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

totally. i much prefer dosing on the lines as well. thanks, i'll do 5.5

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Rob, yes, it is looking like Emmett needs more juice. If you follow the protocol for raising, you'll be helping him to get into better numbers faster. I do understand that while you were away you didn't want to increase. What a nice brother to help you out with Emmett!

8. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Whoops. Totally had the wrong thread title. Its not April 26th anymore is it...lol

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with everything Wendy said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.