2018.06.18 | Emmett • Need dose advice... | AMPS • 319 | PMPS • 205 | +2 • 155 | +4 • 79 | +5.5 • 65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Previous: June 15

So I went through the weekend. And it was rather flat. Some low yellow numbers but that's about it. Friday numbers seemed relatively good.

This is my 9th cycle @ 6.5 units. Friday as I said, lowest reading was a 117 PMPS on June 15. June 12 had a 88 @ 6 units.

I see these erratic numbers and like we discussed perhaps there's something else causing the high numbers. I still wonder if 6.5 units is way too high and when he was at 4 units he had the best day this whole time I've been doing the insulin.

>>> That all said, I'm seeing Emmett's front legs twitch a bit and he doesn't look to be completely on his toes on the front feet...kind of leaning back. Diabetic neuropathy? Oddly enough in my googling it is usually back legs but he's still moving around well and jumping and everything so I'm kinda confused. But he doesn't have the same stance as his sister and when he sits his front joint above his paw kinda twitches sometimes...not all the time though.

Can I try a dose of 4 units? Is that advisable? I'm not sure what to do here. I did order some Zobaline B12 from the site, because I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing things (trying to find problems)...if it turns out he doesn't have it ...I just wasted some money, but I wanted to order just in case.

I'm kinda hesitant to go to 7 units as I'm not seeing any improvement in his BG levels...it just keeps going to higher flatter numbers ever since I moved passed 4 units...kinda don't know which direction I should be going here...

@Wendy&Neko @Stacy & Asia @Bobbie And Bubba @carfurby @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Tracey&Jones @Christie & Maverick @Mandy & Rex @Red & Rover (GA) @Gill & George @julie & punkin (ga)

R

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cats need as much insulin as they need. You have been increasing according the protocol and have arrived at the current dose safely. Time to go to 7.0 units. And get tested for high dose conditions. Going back will only cause high numbers. The nature of IAA and acromegaly is that they both can make it look like you have a good dose, then either the tumour pulses or the antibodies get to work, and that dose is no longer a good one.

The numbers you should focus on are the blood sugar numbers, not the dose size. It is what it is. Been there, agonized over the dose size myself.

Has Emmett ever been checked out for arthritis?

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with what Wendy has said. Even at low doses....one works then it doesn't and you go up and then you go down again.

The B12 is not wasted in the sense if it is needed great and if not...he will just pee out the excess.

Jones get those along his back....it is like his muscles are jumping.

4. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Okay, I just needed to check as 7 units seems so high from where he was. I will do 7 units tonight and monitor.

Emmett has never been checked for that as I’ve never had a reason too. He’s very active and even this weekend was jumping 4’ spans (from sofa back to a shelf). Other than appearance of his front “ankles” and the occasional slip on a slippery table he seems fine and comfortable.

Good to know about the B12...I did read that they pee out the excess somewhere. But you make a valid point. I can administer it regardless and it won’t hurt.

I will report back tonight.

R

5. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Wendy, you’re a bit of a legend in these forums lol. I see your posts and people recommending your advice everywhere!

6. Wendy&Neko

Aw shucks. :oops::oops: There are still plenty of seasoned members that post here that I listen too as well. My Neko taught me a lot, especially about high dose conditions,

7. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Okay all, as you can see by the title. Emmett for some catball reason is having a good night. I'm assuming the 7 units is a co-incidence.

I have a odd question. Everyone always is saying how food raises blood sugar, ie. if BG readings are low, give your cat some food to raise the numbers. Now Emmett is a wee bit on the heavy side: he's been 12.8 lbs his whole life and around September 2017 he weighed in at 15.4 lbs. I have since brought him down to 14.2-14.4 lbs. Still, I'd like him to be at around 12.8 (that's his happy, energetic state).

Anyway, my point is, I was feeding him around 200-250 calories a day and I'm thinking that was too little so I just recently (read last couple of days) started feeding 1 1/2 5.5 oz cans (which translates too ~285-300 calories per day) ...roughly 24 calories per pound. I read 30 calories per pound is what a maintenance caloric intake should be.

Could it be that Emmett is getting all stressed out because he wasn't getting enough food or something chemical in his blood because he wasn't getting enough food? The answer is probably no, but I thought I'd ask.

R

8. Wendy&Neko

The formulas for food intake should also factor in age and activity level. My Neko was around 14 lbs and maintained her weight at around 200 calories per day. Use your scale to determine whether the diet is working.

And yes, Emmett could be a bit stressed about food, but not enough to impact his dose. Especially if all he is getting islow carb food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.