2018.06.21 | Emmett • Dose advice?? | AMPS • 97 | +1 • 115 | +10.3 • 41

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rob W. & Emmett, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Previous: June 20

Hey, Emmett has been doing well. Just got a +10.3 • 41 reading.

2 hrs to go until shot time. He seems to be perfectly happy though. Am I reducing shot to 6.5 or 6.75 units?

Is Emmett still considered a "newly diagnosed diabetic"?

Plus, he hasn't actually dropped below 40 (that I've seen, although it's very possible that he did during the day...)

Rob

@Wendy&Neko @Stacy & Asia @Bobbie And Bubba @carfurby @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Tracey&Jones @Christie & Maverick @Mandy & Rex @Red & Rover (GA) @Gill & George

2. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi........usually with a new DX cat if you hit under 50 then it's an immediate reduction and looking at Emmett's numbers I would drop .50 as he's been in the green and just earned the reduction with the 41. He's going to feel really good with those numbers and others should post soon..........

Looking good!

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I would go with 6.75 units as you went up from 6.5 when he wasn't getting any greens and at 7 units he earned a reduction. Maybe 6.75u will be his ideal dose?

Not sure how long is classed as newly dx'd but at a year you become a long-term FD I believe.

4. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Okay, say he’s at 41 or lower at PMPS ...do I still dose when he’s this low...sorry, I’ve probably asked this before but it’s been a while since Emmett’s been here.

I guess at which number would I still do the full dose...?

R

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Rob, just popped by and saw Emmett is having a bit of fun with you!. Have you checked since that 41? I understand that would be 2 hours before insulin, but me personally, I don't like Mav hanging out under 50 for safety reasons, I would have fed a bit of carbs to get him above 50, and rechecked the 41 after about 1/2 hour or so. I appreciate it's late in the cycle, but as I said, under 50 always meant take action to me. As for your preshot number, don't shoot anything under 50, if it's still very close to 50, I'd stall 20 Minutes, and don't feed, and see if he's coming up on his own. Post for help...at your preshot...depending on the number. I'm not experienced with higher doses, but I would expect the reducie you take is .5u, but I tend to be a bit more conservative.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Just had a chance to peek at the SS, I see you reduced .25u, from what I've seen, normally with doses above 5u the increases and decreases are in .5u increments. You shot a 61, that's your lowest preshot yet, it might be a good idea to get a +1 and go from there. Emmett may bounce, hard to say what he was doing mid-cycle, but he's still got a good amount of depot, you may also have a busy night. Even if his +1 is coming up, if it were me, at the least I'd get one test before bed, just to be sure he's safe, and feed some extra carbs if you need...he surprised you this am cycle with a little bump up at +1, but then came on down to tease the sharkies ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Hey, thanks for the replies. Ya, I dosed him at 61. I gave him a few chicken hearts around the 41 ...I know they’re not carbs but honestly...he seemed really okay at 41. Like completely normal. His sister (we’re talking blood sister) hovers around 56-62 ...I’ve only tested her a couple of times — just for interest.

My +4.3 is 115, it’s going down a little bit but I think he’ll be fine...I may check if I wake up later.

R

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Please don't risk it.....as long as you're giving insulin, when they get low, go ahead and give a little high carb food.....as long as it's canned, it won't stay in the bloodstream long and it's better to be safe than sorry.

The first sign you might see that he's NOT "completely normal" is a hypoglycemic seizure....and then it might be too late

While it can be totally normal for a non-diabetic to have BG's as low as the 30's and 40's, since you are giving insulin, it's not the same.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  9. Rob W. & Emmett

Rob W. & Emmett Member

Ah. Makes sense. In the past I've usually just give him his wet food and it bumps up enough to get him back to the 55-60 range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.