2018 and Fleas. Cheristin or Brevecto for sugar babies?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Dunno how Simba caught them but he has fleas. I have bathed the big blonde love bug twice in Dawn dishwashing liquid with no success plus combed him multiple times a day. He has not been outside for months unless he got them at the Vet! LOL..... Could happen.. Anyway, what do you use when the cat has diabetes and fleas? Both of these are touted by the Vet Techs and VERY expensive at the vet. Amazon has Cheristin - 3 doses for $33 plus $7 to ship. Local stores have Advantage and Frontline - which I understand is no longer working for most folks.. Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Our vet sells Advantage Multi, which works very well -- and needs an Rx. The pet stores here sell Advantage II, which has different active ingredients. I personally won't do OTC, period. The formulas have never proved to be as effective so it ended up costing more in the long run. Then, I have seen horror stories about OTC like Hartz and Sergeants causing neurological damage. I just stay away from them all.

You may get a different opinion, but after we used Advantage Multi for two months, we started giving half-doses and have not had a flea infestation since we started using it several years ago. We switched to Revolution about two years ago because it covers more and doesn't smell as bad. Advantage smells like a peed in diaper to me, but that may just be me.

Darwin H. likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used Brevecto when I used Advantage and Frontline and those did not kill the fleas. Downside is the cost even though it lasts for 3 months

Darwin H. likes this.
  4. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Hope the Cheristin works I just ordered.

5. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

I use a topical called "Revolution". It is a monthly treatment. I use it all year long. I hate fleas and my cat gets very sick when she gets them. It is Rx only, but you can get it from Chewy for cheaper. Your vet just needs to verify some info.
    When my cat had fleas I had to flea bomb m house a couple of times--about 6 weeks apart.

6. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

My main concern is ticks. A while back I got Lyme infections three years out of four. I, too, felt that Frontline and like had stopped working very well. My vet likes Bravecto but I waited until the product for cats had been out a good eighteen months. It was first released in the middle of 2016. We've been using it since the beginning of this year. Seems to work well. And I really like the longer period between applications, as do the cats. I feel that having to apply it less often pretty much balances out the higher price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.