+21 is 585 but barely eaten since last night. Reduced dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mnyc, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Leo didn't eat more than a few bites overnight and isn't touching his breakfast. His amps is 67. Obviously no shot is happening but do I need to be worried about anything else right now?

I have never seen a pre-shot this low since he was diagnosed.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 5/29, amps 67, didn't eat last night!

It's probably low because he didn't eat. Instead of AMPS, it should have AMBG in your subject line so we know you didn't shoot if he wasn't eating.

I'd just try to get some food in him. Is he acting nauseous? lethargic? What is his behavior? Have you checked ketones lately?

I wouldn't let him go long without eating. You might want to put a call into your vet.

3. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: 5/29, amps 67, didn't eat last night!

I have plastic on the litter now for a ketone check.

He is acting perfectly normal but I am going to give to vet a call. He used to skip meals all the time but this is the first time he has done so since being diagnosed so I'm obviously not pleased.

Thank you for the response.

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night!

Hi guys .. I don't think I've been to your condo before so welcome from us! I'm glad to hear that leo is acting normal, other then the appy that is off .. maybe a vet visit would not be a bad idea, to make sure all is well with him?

5. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Just spoke with the vet who suggested I try and get some food in him today and call him later if the situation has not improved.

He also suggested some karo syrup on the gums to try and get the BG up a bit and maybe spur his hunger. Does that sound logical?

Updated: he just ate a little bit (no karo used) so I'm going to wait and re-test in 20 minutes or so.

6. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Sending happy appy vines to Leo. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

7. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night

Thank you. He took a few small bites of food and his +12.5 is 121. The number makes me feel better but I am still concerned about the not eating. Fingers crossed that he brings up a hairball this afternoon and gets his appetite back (that's usually why he would skip a meal in the past but also why it took me two days to realize something was seriously wrong when all this started, so I'm not going to take chances).

At what point can I leave him alone? I really need to get to work for a while today. If his BG is up again in 30 mins or so can I assume he is out of any imminent danger for a few hours and feel ok leaving him for a bit?

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you didn't give him insulin this morning, Leo will be fine for the day. Good idea to test before you go to see how he is doing.

9. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night! +13.5 is 121.

Thank you. Hoping he is just having a cat day and not anything more serious.

Will get the ketone test as soon as he goes.

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night! +13.5 is 121.

I wouldn't put karo on his gums, his numbers are fine, as Wendy said :D Vets think you are giving them a number on a animal glucometer so a 67 to him would seem really low. It's a normal number for a cat on a human glucometer.

11. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night! +12.5 is 121

Gotcha re: the karo. I told the vet I was on a human meter but maybe he didn't understand or he just has a different thought-process about it. He was most curious about such a low number after days of not getting below 200.

I skipped the karo because I thought 40 was the relevant number. He still hasn't eaten but the numbers are rising as last night's shot wears off. (I was wrong on the math so the 121 was at 12.5 and I corrected the post, his 13.5 is 150).

I'm going out for a bit so fingers crossed that he eats while I'm gone (which he sometimes prefers).

12. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: 5/29, ambg 67, didn't eat last night! +12.5 is 121

+17.5 is 280. He has barely eaten anything all day, nor has he had much water. He hasn't used the litter pan so I can get a ketone reading.

How worried do I need to be about the lack of food given his history of DKA?

Update: just spoke with the vet who ok'd me to give him one of the appetite stimulant pills he came home from the hospital with. If there is no improvement by the morning we will be at the doctor's office bright and early.

Update 2: finally got a ketone test and the result was trace (same as always). So for the moment I am breathing easier about that.

13. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Re: +17.5 = 280. Barely eaten all day. Worry?

Did the appetite stimulant help with the appetite and get him to eat a bit more?

14. Mnyc

Mnyc Member

Re: +17.5 = 280. Barely eaten all day. Worry?

He ate a little, but not nearly a normal amount.

Not sure if this should be a new thread but the +21 is 565.

Can I shoot now (and reset the schedule) and if so, do I do a reduced dose (.1 instead of .25) because he has barely eaten?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.