220 rise in 1 hr two nites in a row?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

Has anyone had their kitty go up so rapidly? Two nites in a row he's been really low and then risen approx 220 points in just one hour - the same rise two nites in a row. I've given him lactulose on both evenings. Last nite he was 4.8 so fed him and he went up to 16.8 an hour later. Tonight he was 2.6 and went up to 13 an hour later. I gave different food on each nite - can't even remember what I gave him last nite but it wasn't tinned food. Tonight I gave tinned food. I'm thinking the lactulose is the problem. Mmmm....

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Some cats are extremely carb sensitive, for example, Spitzer can have a food spike of 200 in 1 hour.

This is one reason some will feed several small amounts, rather than putting down all the food at once. By spacing the eating, the food spike is attenuated and the longer acting insulin isn't overwhelmed.

Also, this why human diabetics may take a small bolus of R insulin at meal times.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Lactulose is made up of sugar molecules....so yes, in my opinion, it's the Lactulose....

I just love your avatar pic - SO strikingly beautiful....

HUGS

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you need to do the lactulose, maybe dividing the dose into smaller amounts more frequently would make it less 'spikey'.

Other info and resources on feline constipation.

5. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Lactulose, although a sugar, is non-digestable sugar. It works in the large intestine to draw water into the large intestine preventing or helping with contipation issues. So, theoretically, it should have no effect on blood sugars.

Try to keep track of what you feed and when in relation to the blood sugar checks. If you look at Zoe's SS, you will see in Sept. 2011 I was doing that with every feeding to see what would or wouldn't spike her bg.

6. Anyname

Anyname Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think we can say ECID and go a little further that every low reading is different. LB was very low in mid november and no matter what I fed him his number didn't move up much at all for hours after. I don't think this latest problem is related to food. I think it's related to the lactoluse. I feel that I'm on the trail of LBs high numbers - I think constipation is in the equations somewhere. I posted a separate thread about lactulose and one kind poster gave me the chemical name of miralax - so I will follow up on that. I have felineonstipation.org waiting to read. I've read it before and was sending it to a Aussie FDMB poster because it's literally taken me many months to get my head around the implication of constipation on numbers.

The thing is that two nights ago I decided that the 4.8 number was an error in the machine after he jumped to 16.8 in one hour. then when it happened again last nite .... I realised something weird happening. It's lways good to be able to run it by a group of dedicated cat carers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.