24-hour curve - time to increase dose a little?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by FurBabiesMama, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I did a 24-hour curve on Mia. (#s on US and World tabs, and there is a separate curve tab.) Her new vet will be looking at the results and telling me what she wants me to do with the dosing. I think we should bump up the dose just a hair. She is currently getting 2 units, so maybe a fat 2 or so (as close to 2.25 as I can get with U-40 syringes). Anyone agree/disagree?

If the vet tells me to go to 3, I am not going to do it. If she tells me to go with 2.5, should I? I am not going to change anything until I hear from her, but I am preparing for the discussion. She is a new vet for us, and I want to try to work with her, so I want to be ready to reason with her on why I do not agree rather than just ignoring what she says. A perfect situation would be if she recommends the same thing I am thinking, but how often does that kind of thing happen?! :)

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looking at your curve, I think you could do a 2.5u dose and be okay, as long as you monitor and understand that there might be a bit of bouncing before she settles into the dose.

Vets usually increase by 1u per manufacturer's instructions. u-40 syringes are typically whole unit syringes. So if they are using the Prozinc kits from the manufacturer, it's the only increment that can be professionally recommended because anything else will be inaccurate. Half unit syringes do exist for u-40, but some vets don't know that. If your vet is uncomfortable with half unit or quarter unit increases, it might help her to know about them: Link to half unit u-40 syringes

Hopefully she'll be open to hearing about the care you've taken to learn about FD and the positive impact of home monitoring on your ability to keep Mia safe. My vets have grown a lot in the past couple of years in their understanding of all of this, in part because of seeing the success Sam has had using this approach.

3. FurBabiesMama

@Djamila I ordered some of the U-40 syringes with half unit markings. Hopefully, even if she does not initially recommend just a .50 jump, she will be okay with it with those syringes. Thanks.

This vet is already a fan of home testing. That is one of the reasons I switched to her (last vet recommended against it).

Rachel, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

And eventually you might try your hand at eyeballing 0.25 u fractions on the new syringes. ;)

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

After reviewing the curve and other SS results, vet recommended change to 2.5. She even asked if I could 'eye' the .5. So, yay for the vet! Maybe I have a good one now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.