25/12 Checkers AMPS 169 +2.5 52, +3 49, +4 52, +7 68, +10 86

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

Not the best night once again as i coudlnt get him to eat much of anything. Not sure if he is still having bowel issues or not but he did eat some this morning at least. Back down to the surfing zone it appears. No idea how he keeps the same damn levels no matter how much insulin he gets. everyday the depot should be getting a little smaller as he gets further away from his over 1 unit doses but still he manages to surf the greens no matter what I do. A dream for some but it can be frustrating.

Merry christmas to everyone. I hope everyone gets some good readings today and don't have to worry about their furry friends.

previous post

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new post. Looks like he bounced and came right back down. I still think that the too high original dose coupled with the change in diet (eliminating dry food) is what you are seeing. He might still need another reduction. That 52 so early means he means business. He's going to keep you busy.

MollynSkooter likes this.
  3. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise.....Checkers wants some Q-T time with you today! I would probably get another test in around +3 to +3.5 to see what he has in mind.....

Is he eating anything at this point?

4. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

he ate when i gave him his shot, i gave him a tablespoon or so of fancyfeast with extra gravy when he gave me the low number. i went out to the only store open to see if they had some pumpkin but no luck, only a can of pumpking pie mix.

I'm hoping the early 52 was just him still getting a boost from finally eating. Fingers crossed. I'll be gone a few hours for christmas dinner but other then that i'll keep my eye on him. he seems ok right now so i dont think hes too low but i'll do a test in a few.

5. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

spoke to soon, his reading was 49 but he did just eat and just got some more fancy feast as desert, he really loves the gravy in that stuff, wonder what it is about it that cats love.

Form the way he's been going the fancy feast normally buys me around 2 hours but its so early in the cycle that it makes sense it only last 1 hour. He should start surfing above the line pretty soon from the way hes been the last few days anyway.

I keep waiting for the shoe to drop and his depot to run so low that he starts running in the blues instead of greens but he is reacting incredibly well to insulin or atleast his BG level is. his happiness isnt always inline with it sadly.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I could be wrong so if I am please someone correct me. Has Checkers earned another reduction for tonight?

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The larger depot could still be in play, but sir safety, I think I would reduce to 0.5 units. You must be exhausted Luke. An option for tonight is to skip, drain the depot some, and start fresh at .5 u tomorrow.

An alternative to pumpkin canned, is a real squash or pumpkin. My Halloween Jack O Lantern got baked into a good long supply of pumpkin.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  8. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I think we will need to see where his BG is at end of day and see how much food he's eaten also. I don't like the idea of changing the dose again, i have been changing it so often, he just refuses to let me stay on a dose. at this point i'm wondering if he will ever be stable enough for a glucose curve lol.

i've resisted skipping a dose since he got put on insulin, i would be interested to see what happens

I was thinking this morning if maybe I should be looking for wet food that is slightly higher in carbs, he does eat when he gets low but i dont think the food i use has enough carbs for it to have much effect. If it had abit more carbs maybe he could help himself more by eating when his numbers start to get low.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You can absolutely give him some food that has a little more carbs in it. Some cats actually do better with carbs in the 6-10% range and that might help a bit now. Sometimes when the dry food goes or when the liver has decided it likes normal numbers again, the trip down the dosing scale can be a bit grueling. Hang in there.

Merry Christmas, Luke.

10. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

checkers has been surfing all day as normal. I'm thinking maybe I should do another reduction. he is still dropping too low. its possible hes still constipated badly i'm not sure. hes seemed better today but i just can't tell.

people have mentioned possibly lowering the dose based on his under 50 numbers. Let me know what you think.

11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Yes, as @Wendy&Neko mentioned you should reduce to .5 units. If you don't skip tonight just remember the depot could still effect a few cycles.

MollynSkooter and tiffmaxee like this.
  12. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

i would like to skip the night, i would like the night off but i don't want to lose the insane progress i've made. I'm worried if i skip his numbes will go back to 500 by his next dose and it will take me days to get him back down. If anyone has any experience with skipped doses I would like to know what i can expect as repercussions from it.

Thanks for everyones help especially today.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

He will get back on track if you skip. I have given Neko a half dose to drain the depot when she is zooming down the dosing scale, but a cycle with a half dose can still be busy due to the depot. He will recover if you just skip one cycle. You have to be healthy enough to take care of Checkers.

14. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

i tried the partial dose several times giving him less then half and it got me little to no effect. I've always tried to avoid no dose at all as i felt his body would freak out but he seems to be producing or reacting to insulin alot more now then he was a few weeks ago so i guess if i skipped a dose he would be ok. maybe i will give it a try. i will be doing his +11 test soon, maybe that will help with my decision.

15. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Hey Luke Merry Christmas!
    I think you should give yourself a nice present and skip tonight, too. You deserve some rest and the others are right, Checkers will recover from it just fine. He obvioiusly has a nice depot working that will probably help him to stay low(er) even if you skip one shot.

I think a lot of the reason you were seeing those super high numbers was from insulin overdose.

16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree skip it.

17. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Skip. This cat is on a mission right now. The skip won't set him back all that much and it might help reset things.

Marilyn and Polly

18. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

skipped it is

19. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

@Lukewithcats so glad you skipped. ..like Wendy said, you have to take care of you as well....

Also keep in mind we get valuable information even when we skip a dose. One thing most people know about Skooter is a skipped shot doesn't really phase him. It is nice to know that if I can't work my schedule out, or I simply need a break (which I have done on occasion), a missed shot isn't gonna do anything. Other cats are more effected....I would just make a note on your spreadsheet that tonight was a skip.....all data helps us to learn to "know thy cat" better.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.