.25 dose increases... impossible!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pevsfreedom, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

How do people measure .25 dose increases? I have 1/2 unit syringes and there is no way I could ever dose .25 accurately between those hash marks.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

They eyeball them (magnifiers help) or use calipers.

3. pevsfreedom

Perhaps this is an ignorant question but is the difference between .25 and .50 crucial, especially when the hash marks are (from what I've heard) different from syringe to syringe?

What's better/easier, the magnifier or caliper?

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I used magnified reading glasses to eyeball does of a quarter unit or even less.

It depends on the cat. Some cats are more sensitive to insulin than others.
    In my experience with Alex, a 0.1u dose reduction *could* make the difference between a reduction holding or failing. OTOH, increases of 0.25u were the norm for her.

5. pevsfreedom

That's amazing such a small amount can affect things.

6. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Yeah, that amazes me, too. Bat-Bat has hit hypo zone twice this month on <0.15 unit ProZinc. I'm using 100U syringes (w/conversion table) marked on the 1/2 unit, too. So I feel your pain (...as I slowly go blind from micro-dosing. :rolleyes:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Forgot to mention something important...

Don't get hung up on the exact measurement of a specific dose being universally the same. Let's use 0.25u as an example. My 0.25u dose and your 0.25u dose may not look exactly the same... and that's ok. All each of us wants to do is to strive for consistency when dosing off the line.

I pre-date the use of calipers on the FDMB so I've always eye-balled the amount of insulin. It took some patience, practice, and sometimes even "counting" drops, but after awhile I got good at it. You will, too!

8. pevsfreedom

ProZinc is fast acting right? Luckily (I guess?) Luna is on higher dose #'s so it's not too worrisome yet. Still trying to get her under 200!

I just wish there was an easier 'micro dosing' type of syringe or something. I mean to be honest it's not like the meter's themselves are even super accurate, so like you said you gotta do the best you can... Sucks for OCD type people like myself! Lol.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I have terrible close vision (and vision in general really), and there is no easy way for me to get consistent 0.25U increases. I know this would be better if I could, but both me and the hubby both give the insulin, and when I give, "somewhere between the lines" is the closest I'm able. I know I could probably be more exacting, but we've done ok with 0.5U. I did get some half unit syringes, and for me, that seemed -harder- cause there are more lines for my eyes to mix up and get crossed. I had an easier time seeing the syringes without the half marks. I wish they made 1/10ml syringes, it would make everything easier.

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Trust me, you're not the first and I guarantee you won't be the last to feel that way, but it is what it is. We do the best we can. And it can be done. Alex went OTJ twice and I was able to keep her tightly regulated except for when she was very sick (she had multiple medical problems as she aged). She successfully lived with diabetes for many years before cancer took her. There are many, many stories like Alex to be found on the FDMB...

11. Robin&BB

Totally relate to the OCD thing, and here's the good news: Because you are, it's more likely you'll get Luna running under 200 darned soon.;)

Critter Mom and Jan Radar (GA) like this.
  12. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Where can a person buy a caliper?? Drugstore?

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Try Amazon
    There's a video in the Lantus/Levemir forum on how to use them.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

15. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

And make sure you get those, with the locking dial, I guess is what you would call it. DH got me some, but their is no way to lock the arms once you get the measurement that you want. Also, the ones he got don't do 100ths, only 10ths.

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Suggestion - fill syringe with water and practice twisting the plunger to make drops come out the needle. For me, 3 'medium' drops or 4 small drops is a half unit. When I'm giving a quarter dose, I fill to the next half unit then express 1 medium drop and 2 small drops. By using water and practicing for a bit, you'll figure out what size drops you can make for each unit. If my syringes are really off, I still check it with calipers.

You'll get it with a bit more practice whatever method you use!

17. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Amazingly good information and suggestions. I have a lot to learn about dosing in microscopic units. We were playing with water and learning a bit with an old used syringe today and were amazed at how small a drop actually is... Rolling on the floor laughing as we squirted each other with tiny droplets of water. Good material for a comedy act perhaps. LOL

Critter Mom and Robin&BB like this.
  18. Robin&BB

Cool! A micro water-fight!

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  19. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

First, Yes both of mine were/are sensitive to a change of drops even less than a quarter unit...just to drive me crazy(er).

Second, it's usually the beginning of the 'zero' line that differs rather than the space between each hash mark. Those remain the same during the imprint process but where the barrel is in the machine can make it off by up to .25 units at times.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. pevsfreedom

While making myself go above 200 in the process!

Critter Mom likes this.
  21. Robin&BB

:D:D:D:D:D:D (Good one!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.