28 Cycles!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tina and Boozle, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

We made it the 28 cycles. He had some diarrhea and vomiting yesterday in the AM hours, but he was okay after noon. We still have some rancid smelling gas, so he's going to the vet this afternoon. We got him some B-12 to start this evening. We've had it for a few days, but he was supposed to get it with fluids, in the fluid sack. He is fighting too hard and we can't manage to get fluids in him, so we need to ask the vet about alternative dosing.

Overall, he is still doing really well. He is bright and active and just as snuggly as always. He seems to be putting on weight still, too. Like they say, they get sick like we do, so maybe he got some bad food or something. We will see!

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Good luck Tina. I hope he is feeling better soon. Keep us posted on the vet visit!

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That's great news! I'm so happy for you and Boozle to have reached this milestone! Hopefully the last of the GI issues will clear up soon. Did the vet give you syringes for the B12? Is it the red liquid kind? I just inject it like the insulin for Sam, although with terrifyingly large syringes with gigantic needles. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all, but they scare me! ;)

4. Don & Tigger

Don & Tigger New Member

Glad to hear you made 28 cycles!!! My cat has been OTJ for 22 cycles and has also been experiencing GI issues, severe diarrhea, small appetite. He's on med for the diarrhea, which is slowly getting better, Cerenia to boost his appetite. Maybe this is a side effect of remission?

5. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

No. We are going to get those this afternoon. I'm not sure what color it is. It's in a big brown vial and we haven't drawn any out yet. Do you have to give a lot?

Yeah. I have no clue. He just started this yesterday. Seems to be worse in the morning. His diarrhea smells so bad I almost added a pile of vomit on top of it. I had to take the litter box out and keep the door open to air out the room. And he has bad gas too. Rancid, I tell ya. It doesn't seem to be affecting his appetite too much, but I haven't eaten today! And I am not just being weird or picky. It's so bad I literally can't breath around it without feeling like I am going to throw up. And I was a medic, once upon a time. It's difficult to make me hork.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I have never seen it as a side effect of remission. However a lot of diabetic kitties also have IBD or other intestinal issues, so that is more likely the source of the coincidence.

In the big syringes, it's not a lot. I have a couple of times used the u100's to shoot the b12 (when I've run out of the big syringes) and in that case it's almost a full syringe, so then it does feel like a lot! Mine is in a big brown vial too, so I'll bet it's the same thing. One time I shot the B12 in one side of the tent and out the other without realizing it until there was red liquid all over Sam and the counter. Looked like a murder scene! :eek::eek::eek::D

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ask the vet of songs probiotics might help. Congratulations

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd look into probiotics if the diarrhea doesn't clear up. Nothing else has changed? Food the same?

9. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

There have been a few changes. We worked him off all of his meds and the antibiotic shot has worn off. He doesn't get fluids as often because we have to take him into the vet to get them to do it. He fights us so bad, we can't get the job done. He is still eating the same food, though.

The vet is convinced he is having a pancreas flare. We put him on flagyl for a bit and it seems to be helping. He hasn't blown up the house in a few days. We started him back on the appetite stimulant too, and he is eating a little better. Hopefully it is a passing issue.

Kris & Teasel likes this.