29/08 - Gremlin - I just don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura and Gremlin (GA), Sep 29, 2018.

1. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Laura and Gremlin (GA) Well-Known Member

IMAG3740.jpg Grem's blood glucose is not at all stable anymore. It doesn't help when the last two nights he hasn't been coming inside for food until really late, even though he's usually back every two hours, which means giving insulin is tougher. Tonight he didn't really want his dinner at all. That is happening more frequently. And he's already too skinny. Sometimes he's absolutely starving, though that is becoming less frequent now. He just seems to be getting worse and worse. But not behaving sick, just really annoying behaviours. If I try to keep him inside all day, he will drive me up the wall! But he needs his insulin as his BGL keeps rising. Other times it drops really low for seemingly no apparent reason. Do I take him to the vet for more blood work? Could it be the CKD? It's early stage and I really don't know what to expect. Or could it be something else? Or is he just being a pain in the ass? That's entirely possible. Perhaps I'm just too stressed.

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you are going through this, I can’t give advice on this but I can send some prayers and hugs :bighug::bighug:

3. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thank you!
    Sometimes just knowing someone is listening helps. No one else understands what it's like except you all here.

Bellasmom likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, Gremlin's numbers aren't awful. They aren't all that different than when you weren't shooting. You've had Grem on the 0.25u dose for a long time. Had you given any thought to maybe fattening the dose if you're looking to get his numbers more in the green.

When what the last time you had a thyroid panel run? If his levels have changed, it may affect his appetite.

Do you know what the carb count is on the Wellness chicken cubes? Is it higher than the other foods you were typically feeding Gremlin?

Has Gremlin had a dental or could he be in need of one? If there's something going on with his teeth, he may avoid eating.

I would talk to your vet. CKD can advance quickly so it may not be a bad idea to get labs to check kidney values and thyroid. I'd also suggest getting blood pressure checked since that can be related to kidney disease.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Not that long ago he dropped to under 50 on 0.25u so I'm reluctant to increase the dose even though he's up in the yellow now. It goes up and then crashes down and then up, etc.

What do you mean by when I wasn't shooting? His numbers were all fantastic when he was off insulin. Then all of a sudden it all went crazy. He went from stable to all over. All over for him. I hadn't seen yellow or pink since the first few months after diagnosis three years ago. He also lost weight, was starving all the time and a few other things. This was when he was fully stable on his hyperthyroid medication. I know because we tested.

He was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism late April. Has had two tests since then, one a month later and the next 19th of July. That's when they discovered early stage kidney disease. His thyroid function was good. He hasn't been re-tested since then. Not quite two months ago.

It's not the food. We tried one tin and the changes have been going on for longer than that. And it's only marginally higher than other foods. Raw chicken seems to raise his BGL more than high carb food!

He had a dental two years ago and I've checked his teeth, he doesn't need another one. That's not why he's not eating. He did go back for more food but not his usual amount. His appetite swings but it is getting lower. I'm hoping someone else isn't feeding him and that's why he's coming in late with high BGL and not as hungry.

I'll research kidney disease more and talk to my vet. I still have a huge bill to pay off

6. Bellasmom

You are right there, most friends and family all think I’m nuts but you guys don’t

7. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Gremlin just power spewed all over the floor. No wonder he didn't want to eat. Upset belly for some reason. And diarrhoea too.

Edit: Semi-soft stool, not full runny. Bit of blood in it. Not unusual for Grem in the past. A vet said colon issues and never followed up. I suspected IBD. No clue for sure.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  8. Bellasmom

Maybe call vet, sending :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thanks. I can't afford an out of hours visit though. It's 11.30pm here on a Saturday night I'll monitor him and see how he goes.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sorry about the pukas and the diarrhea. Something is going on with his GI tract making him feel uncomfortable. When you can a vet visit would be in order to get some testing down.

I am confused by your SS, it seems to end on August 31 2018 and then 2017 starts.

Bubba is an indoor outdoor cat too and I had to keep him inside until I got him more regulated. Just this July he was allowed to go back outside again. I was concerned about neighbors feeding him and went to the surrounding ones to make sure that they would not explain he was diabetic and had to eat LC food and to also make sure no one was leaving out any dry food to feed stray cats.

A dental issue, bad tooth or even red gums ( inflammation) can cause the numbers to rise too. You might want to consider getting the mouth checked too as that is one of the number 1 reasons a cat get taken out of remission. Just ask Bubba........

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is just a stomach bug or something and Grem will feel better soon. You may need to take him to the vet when you are able to if he doesn't feel better. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

How about worms? If he eating anything out side he could have worms. He might be quite annoying when kept inside but eventually they settle down and accept it. I have 3 currently who were formal strays living outside. Once they showed up here outside living stopped. It took a few weeks for them to settle down. They all run away from the door now. But they love to sit in the screened window. Maybe an outdoor kennel would be to gremlins liking, he can be outside but can't get into other food sources.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If Gremlin is outdoors a good bit, there's no way to know if he's scrounging for food -- high carb included.

If you suspect IBD, there are a few things to consider. If he's GI system is upset,, probiotics will help. If diarrhea is more than a one day issue, S. boulardii is the probiotic you'll want to track down. I've found it in the US one Amazon. I'd also add a regular probiotic to his diet. If he's got inflammation, he's killing off the good bacteria in his gut.

You'll also want to consider switching him to novel proteins or a raw, novel protein diet. The Raw Feeding for IBD Cats site has a great deal of information on raw diets as well as supplements and how to manage the condition. I thought I was doing the right thing by feeding both Gabby and Gizmo a poultry-based diet. It turns out that chicken and turkey are common allergens for cats. Gizmo has IBD and he gets a raw diet of either pork or lamb plus some ZiwiPeak venison.

14. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I can't offer any advice but just want to send you and Gremlin prayers and vines for him to get feeling better :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Oh my gosh, how do I answer all this!

I can start by saying this morning his BGL is at a better level (again) and he was feeling fine. Gobbled up all his food, no worries. It's up and down with him. He comes home all through the day but this afternoon when he comes back mid afternoon, I'll be keeping him inside to ensure he's in for his PM shot.

Sorry about my SS, it's a copy of lasts years and I just haven't changed the 7 to an 8.

Grem wears a tag saying he's diabetic and not to feed. My neighbours already know and there are actually no cats in my area, only dogs.

As I said above, he had a dental two years ago and I've checked his teeth and gums. They're fine.

He has been wormed recently as one of my civvies had a bloody stool. They all got wormed. It's regular.

I can't afford to build an outside run and I live in a rental.

When Grem is kept inside, he literally tears up the carpet, wrecks doors, and destroys everything in his path to get out. I rent. I can't afford to replace carpet and doors, etc.

I've considered probiotics for some time now. I live in Australia so not idea where to start.

As he has CKD, I can't feed a high protein raw diet. He's such a fussy eater anyway, I struggle with anything but his regular food so changing to a low phosphorus diet is/has been such a struggle!

I think I covered everything.

Thanks everyone!

16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Grem is feeling better this morning and eating for you. :bighug::bighug:

17. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you play with him when he’s indoors to try to get the energy out? Jackson galaxy recommends 15 minutes of play before the morning and evening meal. Hunt, eat, sleep. That may help get some of his energy out so he doesn’t tear up the house. Just a thought...

18. Laura and Gremlin (GA)

Thanks Carla. For now he's good. He'll decline again as he always does but for now, yay!
    He doesn't play anymore. When my alpha cat died seven years ago, Gremlin all of a sudden got very responsible (new alpha) and stopped playing. The only time he has played since was just before his hyperthyroid diagnosis, as soon as the medication kicked in he stopped playing again. He's not much of a hunter. He goes outside to his favourite spot and sleeps most of the day! Maybe I should be a tracker thing. If they're not too expensive. I also need a feeder that will only open for him as my civvie keeps trying to take Grem's food and Buster is ridiculously fat. Not helping anything!