? 29 Jan Cocoa AMPS 423, +2.5 344, +4.5 279, +6.5 305

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cocoa12, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/cocoa-diberic-new-here.189993/#post-2120957

Hi all I started a new thread.

So I went to the vet yesterday and she recommend I up Cocoas does to 1.5 2 times per day. She told me I could give him 2 in the AM and 1 in the PM. This caused my internal alarm to go off since this would form what I have read here throw him out of wack. Cocoa has been on insulin since 1/18 so we are just starting and I think he need some more time to adapt to the insulin.

If any of the experts here would mind looking at his spreadsheet for the past two days I would really appreciate it.

I am doing a curve today, so I am taking readings ever 2 hours. I hope this will provide a better picture of what is going on with his blood glucose.

Thanks,
    Jeremiah

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Jeremiah,

I have asked some other veterans to take a look at your spreadsheet. I do think than an increase to 1.5 is warranted, based on the numbers. Have you decided if you will follow Start Low Go Slow or Tight Regulation? When you decide, add that to your signature so people will know.

3. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Thanks for asking and looking. Right now I just want to get his numbers stable. Once they are stable I am leaning towards the Start Low Go Slow method. I am open to right regulation though idleally I would like to see if he would go into remission.

I am open to any suggestions though the veterans here have much more knowledge and experience. I am still very new to this.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We hold the initial dose 5-7 days before increasing, the build the depot. I'm not sure whether you gave insulin, or what dose on the AM cycles of the 19-21st, as the spreadsheet is blank there. Were you dosing twice a day or once? Your previous thread said twice, but I wanted to double check. If it was twice, then you've been at this dose long enough to know he needs an increase. That sweet little yellow today tells you the increase is by 0.25 units to a dose twice a day of 1.25 units.

I'm also not sure why you have some numbers on the row for the 29th. I understand you are in LA and not Australia/New Zealand where it is the 29th? ;) Today's AM dose amount is also blank. We are rather data focussed here, you may have noticed. :)

5. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

From the 18th-22nd I was following my vets instructions. 1 dose if he ate a full can 0.5 if he ate half a can etc. On the 23rd after finding the message board I went to 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM he was also eating better at this point. I have been dosing him twice daily since the start the does just varied. Now the does is constant for AM and PM.

My syringes only half 0.5 marks they do not have 0.25 marks can you recommend some that do?

6. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Ok so I have finished the cure and here are the results.

AMPS 423, 344 @+2.5, 279@+4.5, 305 @+3.5, 367 @+8.5, 363 @+10.5, 358 PMPS

I am a little confused as to what is going on with the last three readings. 367, 363, and 358. Any reason to worry here? Why is his blood sugar dropping prior to the PM shot?

7. Wendy&Neko

We eyeball the 0.25 unit changes. There are some pictures on the Sticky Note on fine dosing that show 0.25 amounts. It's not so important that you are accurate to the picture, but rather are consistent from dose to dose.

8. Wendy&Neko

Just posted at the same time as you and missed the last question. Lantus (and Levemir) kitties sometimes do what we call a "second dip". That's where they go down a little bit at the end of the cycle, but not as low as the main nadir. It's perfectly normal.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Those last few tests don't look like a double dip to me. Rather, the values are very similar from +8 to PMPS. Actually the curve is pretty flat from +6 on It helps to try and remember that there's plus or minus 20% on any test value due to meter variance.

10. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Awe ok makes sense I found the post.

11. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

He is on Lantus.

12. Wendy&Neko

I see that, but the double dip can also be seen on Levemir. That comment was more for other readers. But I agree with Sienne, that the readings weren't significantly different.

13. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Very good point that makes me feel better. I forgot to take into account the meters tolerance range.

14. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Well that is good news thanks for the info it makes me feel better.

15. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Hi Jeremiah,

Nice work getting that curve done. The good news is that we saw a yellow. The bad news is that there was only one and it was a high yellow. Based on that, an argument could be made for increasing the dose by .5 as opposed to .25. The determining factor might be your availability to monitor. What is your schedule like for the next few days? If you will be gone all day, I would go with the .25 increase. If you can monitor and would like to try it, you could probably safely go with the .5

One trick that some people find helpful with these tiny doses, is to take a syringe and fill it up to the point where you think .25 is with colored liquid. Then you use that syringe to measure your dose against in future shots. That enables you to retain some consistency. Another option is to purchase a set of digital calipers. They're relatively inexpensive and can be found at places like Harbor Freight. If you would like to go that route, we will share a post with you that explains how to do it.

16. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

Thank you very much. I don't think that cat is to happy with me lol.

I work 8 house a day M-F so I am not able to monitor him while I am gone. He seems to be stabilizing some what. I am going to give him one more day at 1 AM and 1 PM and see how he is. After that I will try the 1.25 AM and PM. Does that sound good?

17. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

I have a caliper at work I can bring it home tomorrow. If you share that post I would be ever so grateful!!!

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  18. Wendy&Neko

19. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Depending, of course, on what Cocoa has to say about it, I'd say it's a good plan.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  21. Cocoa12

Cocoa12 Member

He always has something to say about it lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.