3/1 Checkers went to hospital AMBG 158, +10.5 45

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lukewithcats, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

This morning i woke up to the sound of vomiting. when i got up i found checkers straining in the litter box. I tried to get him to eat and he wouldnt, he was going to the litter box about once a minute straining for ages, howling a bit and then leaving not happy. He kept vomiting i believe due to the straining or the pain.

he's now at the vet hospital, his bladder was not that full and his colon felt ok so they are holding him for a few hours just until they can get him to naturally urinate. His BG this morning was ofcourse not great but not the worst either at 158. I didnt put his BG in the title since the number is just so wonky and i didnt want people thinking it was a diabetes issues. Hopefully he will urinate soon but if he has a uretha plug or something hes in the right place and his bladder is not at the point where it will caus any damage yet.

Stressfull morning so send checkers your vines please. I will post update as soon as I hear from them. From the sounds of it they think urinary tract infection more then plug but we will see. As with the diabetes i seem to have caught whatever is happening soon enough to preent major damage so there is atleast that.

yesterday

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Ah poor Checkers! Feeling-better vines coming his way!

Lukewithcats likes this.
  3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Healing and feel better vines for Checkers!

Lukewithcats likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It does sound like you got this early and I hope so. Max blocked once and his bladder was pierced most likely at the vet's. I noticed he didn't go at night and by the next afternoon he was in major distress and rushed to the vet that likely did the major damage so it doesn't take much time. There is also the chance it happened on its own but a vet friend said highly unlikely. He had surgery and I nearly lost him. So it's good Checkers is being watched and where they can express the urine if necessary. I hope Checkers urinates soon.

Lukewithcats likes this.
  5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Sending tons of prayers and vines for Checkers....please keep us posted as you can!

Lukewithcats likes this.
  6. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

Sending vines in hopes of a speedy recovery!

7. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

Aw, poor Checkers, sending healing vines his way. Hope he feels better soon and it is nothing serious.

8. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

Healing vines and prayers for Checkers

9. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines for Checkers!

10. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Prayers and vines for Checkers...and You!

11. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of vines and prayers going to Checkers this morning. I'm glad you caught this early.
    :bighug::bighug:

Ella & Rusty

12. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

Poor bubba and poor hoomin!!

Sending lots of get better vines

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending lots of healing vines to Checkers! Please keep us updated.

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hope Checkers is feeling better soon:bighug:

15. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Ohhh sweet checkers sending loads of healing vines and warm loving comfort globes

16. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines and poo vines to Checkers.

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sending vines. Please update when you can.

18. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Just check g in to see how Checkers is doing. :bighug: Vines. Prayers.

19. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, paws crossed for Checkers and you that it's sorted quickly.

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug:

21. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Loads of vines coming your way. Good that you caught it early, he's in the right place.

22. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vines for Checkers speedy recovery.

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending Checkers many get better vines.

24. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

i just picked checkers up. He didnt urinate the whole time he was there and they didnt want to do a needle extraction because they would have to call in a vet tech. i was given the option of leaving him overnight or picking him up so ofcourse hes back home because i felt he deserved out of jail early lol. I was sent home with the nonabsorbant kitty litter and told to lock him in a room with it but he just spent 5 horus locked in a cage with only this litter so i doubted he would use it.

Good news is after following him around the house for 20 minutes and nearly freaking out when he started drinking a ton of water he decieded to go pee and i got a awesome sample. I don't have the foggiest idea what could have caused this but maybe getting the sample tested tomorrow will let me know. There is the chance he wasnt trying to pee and was trying to poop instead but we will see. i havent tested his BG yet but i can't imagine its good after spending 5 hours in the clink, hes never spent any real time in cages and they wouldnt even give him anything to lay on because they wanted to collect the urine even if he doesnt use the litter box.

so he's home, and peed so thats awesome, hopefully he dosesnt start going crazy again like this morning which would probably mean it wasnt his urinary tract but his bowels instead.

iwill update when i get a test in and he settles down.

25. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Sending lots of healing vines to Checkers and you both. I sure hope he will be back to right very soon.

26. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Healing snowflakes of the cat variety for Checkers and hugs for you. :bighug:

snowflake cats.png

jayla-n-Drevon and Gill & George like this.
  27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tons of vines for Checkers.

28. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Oh my. What a day. Lots and lots of feelbettersoon vines for your Checkers. And some breathe easy vines for you.

Marilyn and Polly

29. Lukewithcats

Lukewithcats Member

I just did a blood test, its about 1.5 hours early for his pmbg but i wanted to see how he was looking and its 45, he just ate right after the test as i had food put away for pmbg but after the random test i quickly put food back down and actually used some higher carb food i accidentally bought which is 4.7% carbs, does that counts as medium carb?

Checkers is going ok since returning from the vet. Not sure if it was some freak episode or he has a bladder infection or what. he went pretty easily when he got home which was odd. could still be a bowel issue isntead I suppose but so far no problems. i guess that drop today from going to the vets is a good sign his pancrease is working hard. Not sure if i should be freaking out over his low bg or if it's not as big a deal since hes off insulin?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  30. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Jersey regularly gave me 30s and 40s after she went OTJ. She still does occasionally. Some cats just run that low naturally. Since Checkers isn't on insulin, there's no need to feed high-carb food.

Continuing to send feel better vines for Checkers!
    Shelly

31. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Feel better Checkers. We know you pee now so let's have poop.

32. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

Sending lots of get better vines....hopefully they can figure out his problem in the morning!

33. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Sending lots of feeling-better and pooping vines to Checkers!

34. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Generally under 8 to 10 percent carbs would be the regular food. I have 13 to 15 pct around for MC and into the low 20s for high. I'll be curious to see what others say is the official range. :)

HOWEVER, since Checkers is not on insulin, no MC or HC is necessary ordinarily. I hope he feels better soon.

35. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Good report and hope what ever it was doesn't return. Feel good little Checkers.

36. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

We often see kitties off insulin in the 40's, but 50 is the point at which we take action and feed high carb for cats on insulin, because it doesn't give much margin for error.

I'm glad to hear Checkers is feeling better and that it's not a urinary blockage. My civie always used to get those on Sundays when the regular vet was closed. :rolleyes:

37. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that this morning was just an anomaly and he's back on track now!

38. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Oh no!!! many thoughts and prayers for Checkers!! He will be up and running in no time :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.