3/10 cc vs 1/2 cc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa and Tres, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Tres

Teresa and Tres New Member

Just wanted to double check with other U 40 syringe users that 1 unit of a 3/10 cc syringe is the same as 1 unit of a 1/2 cc syringe. Hope that makes sense. We've always used 1/2 cc syringes, but this last time we got 3/10 cc syringes from the vet. They said that the amount is the same, it just looks different. Would love to hear that confirmed with others who have used them.

Many thanks!

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yes, they are the same. The 3/10cc vs. 1/2cc refers to the total capacity of the syringe and not the unit of measurement (u40 - u50 - u100), so a 1/2cc syringe will have the unit markings closer together than a 3/10cc syringe will. The advantage of going with the 3/10cc syringe is that it is easier to eyeball half unit doses. Either type will work just the same though!

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as they are U40 syringes, yes. I have 3/10cc syringes, but they are U100s. If you have those, then you need to use the conversion chart. (I didn't know U40s came in 3/10cc?). You can tell I think by the cap cover too - U40s are red I think? If the cap color is the same, then the units should be the same regardless of how big the syringe is.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yup U40s come in 3/10cc. My local vet has them in both 3/10cc and 1/2cc.

5. Teresa and Tres

Teresa and Tres New Member

6. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I think the 3/10 hold 12 units, and the 1/2 hold 20 units. I had to switch to the bigger ones when our dose got over 12 units (acromegaly cat)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.