3/13 Vet Update DAVIDSON

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, Davidson is doing well and just ate a bit as he is like me and fasting 12 hrs doesn't work well - he's starving. I'm giving him a bit at a time...............

4 teeth were extracted, 1 canine and 3 premolars (or something like that), plus had a fulls scale and polish. The canine was infected up in the gum.

I'm to continue using the AB Antirobe for another 5 days (so from initial dose it's total 10 days) and now instead of Metacam I am to give him Tramadol twice daily for 7 days. I'm giving him Lysine as well for the slight upper respiratory issue as this will speed up the recovery for that.

Vet agrees if in 3 days BG levels don't drop to start on insulin with 1.5 units. and go from there.

Hopefully he can fight the infection now that everything is clean and if he has to get the shots, then fingers crossed for only a short time.

PLEASE have a look at his SS for 2018 and if you think I should start the insulin earlier then let me know, as well if 1.5u isn't enough I'd appreciate your comments. As well I will test every 3 hrs to make sure I can see where he is at, and update his SS.

Oh, not sure if it matters, but the test strips I was testing with had an expiry date of July 2016, however the BG test the vet did was similar to mine.........I'm buying new ones in the next couple of days.

Thanks for all your well wishes and concerns,
    Shawna

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Oh wow! I bet those teeth were causing the BG issues! Wishing you and Davidson well! My cat had dental and went from 6 units down to .5!

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I would give it a few days before starting to give insulin just for Davidson to recover a bit.

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Yes, thanks Tracey I’m goign to wait until Sat. Morning and see what happens. TY

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Tracey -- Davidson needs a few days to settle after the dental and for you to see if the infection is clearing out and his numbers come down.

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Wow.........happy to say Davidson is doing GREAT..........just tested and updated SS and he posted the 3rd lowest test (out of 39 test) from Mar 6th. I'm optimistic but cautious and will test later tonight. Totally awake, hasn't slept yet since bringing him home, at a full can of FF in 1/4 can every 30 min to get his stomach used to food after fasting. Purring like a freight train and jumped onto the desk to get tested - now he expects a treat but can't have it for a couple of days while the incisions heal. I'm glad his BG level dropped significantly even though still high, it's a huge change right away.

I know it's because many of you sent well wishes and vines his way and WE ALL appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Shawna, Harley & Davidson

7. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

Glad to hear Davidson’s dental went well. For BKs first (12/2008 ) dental it wasn’t until he finished the 10 days of antibiotics that the reductions started. Following his 2nd dental ( 05/2009) he was not prescribed antibiotics; about 5 days after the reductions resumed.

BK got tramadol for the second dental but it made him very spacey...I switched to bupe instead.

Sending vines for speedy recovery
    :cool:

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad Davidson is doing well. Sending prayers for a quick recovery. Hopefully he won't need to go back on insulin.

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Tnx Sandy, gave Davidson the first dose of tramadol this morning after he ate half a can FF and not good at all, he started drooling all over, spitting out saliva and had gobs of drool over 5” long hanging from his mouth almost looked like he was foaming. He didn’t eat or drink and went to lay down. His pupils were fully dilated and he did not feel well. After about an hour he’s back to normal and jumped up onto my lap and purred away....when he’s not well he won’t jump at all. Going back to the vet and taking that stuff back.......this is a pain reliever and he doesn’t seem to be in pain so will just stick to the ab’s and see if he drops.......he ate all his food and then some and now Happy watching the birds. Phew.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he is doing well after that dental! Be interesting to see those numbers after a couple days of recuperation.

11. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Crazy to see the numbers but just tested at +6 and he's now at 105...............AMPS is 06:00 and he was 307. I took him totally off the pain med since he's crunching his no carb 100% dried chicken treats like a kid in a candy store. Jumping, and all appears normal, but don't want to jump to conclusions..........got the Lysine this morning and gave him the first 1/4 tsp and it's thick and gooey but at least he takes it off my finger. That should help too and will finish the AB's by Sunday........Thanks!

12. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I gave Tramadol to Quintus once, an attempt to do better than Onsior, and I ended up with a crazy cat drooling all over the flat.
    What dose of Tramadol are you giving? You might want to check this study: https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/10.2460/javma.252.5.565

(I might try Tramadol again but on the lowish dose mentioned in the study)

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Woohoo on that 105! Go Davidson. :cool:

14. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Almost decision making time.........seems like Davidson is really high in the early mornings, then drops considerably as you can see on his SS. Today is the 2nd day post surgery and perhaps as many have said it's better not to allow him to get used to the high numbers...........I'm giving him tons of water with his FF and he's peeing a bit more.

How much longer should I wait until it's suggested to give him insulin?? The 10th day from when we started ab's are Monday, and I only have enough ab until tomorrow. Should I get more, or not bother as he's have been on them for 8 days total.

I don't have any after 4 yrs OTJ, and have to go get it.........along with needles which I am familiar with.

Thanks everyone who offers advise.

Shawna

15. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Maybe give it a couple more days? You can look at my ss and see that Rufus had dental on 2.14 and saw progress on that saturday, and then went up and then started coming down.

16. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Sean, my concern is Davidson is not on insulin and if he has to go back on due to the infections that started after Jan 19th, when do I make the call to start up again............I'll wait until I see how tomorrow pans out late afternoon as that will be 3 days after surgery. Have a great day and happy to see Rufus's numbers drop to the greens.......

Sean & Rufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.