? 3/16 - DAVIDSON STARTING INSULIN AGAIN

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

I bought all the insulin and syringes for Davidson as I still see he's high and don't want to risk waiting.

WHAT DOSAGE SHOULD I START HIM ON??

Perhaps .5 units twice a day and see what he does? He's up and down and don't want too much as I see mid day he drops to almost being normal..........

I'd appreciate knowing ASAP as I am starting tomorrow............

Rgds
    Shawna

2. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Shawna, I see that Davidson is coming down fairly nicely on his own, I think .5u might be too much to start.

Here is a link to your last post, http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-16-need-to-know-dosage.192639/

In your last post, Wendy suggested starting with .1u, which makes sense, you can see how he does, and can always increase if the dose is too small. Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

There is a pic in the stickies for drawing small doses...

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

4. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Okay. I will start him tomorrow morning at .1u...........haha, that's a lot of insulin to go thru with that small dose. I only wondered if it was too low due to the higher numbers early morning, but I guess we test for the lowest numbers and go from there.

I did draw small doses just before he went OTJ, and how often do you suggest testing his BG so I can see the nadir and also any changes? He is still on ab's until Monday........

I haven't given a needle of any kind in 4 yrs and a bit out of sync, but I recall pulling up a bit, making a tent and then inserting the needle and squeezing.......never reshoot if you think you miss........and I will feed him at 6am and test at 8 and shoot at 8

** On the first day should I test every 2 hrs or is it okay to test every 4............ Tomorrow is a semi holiday and I'm out in the afternoon for about 4 hrs, so if he needs close monitoring I will start sunday

THANKS!!

Shawna

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Read yesterday’s and what Jill wrote. I think I’d go with the .25 she suggests.

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Yes, just saw it and will start at .25 and go from there..........

7. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Will Davidson's cycle patters (time of nadir, how he goes up or down) be the same as when he was last on insulin 4 yrs ago? Or will his body process it differently now? I have all his records of the patterns he had and don't want to assume anything.

Shawna

8. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I think you can safely assume...nothing. :joyful:

@Bobbie And Bubba has done this a few times and Bubba was a late nadir cat on one of the adventures back on insulin and not the others.

I hope it’s a short stint on the juice and back to OTJ for Davidson.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, there's no way to predict if patterns will remain the same. Best advice I can give you is not to make assumptions. Let your meter be your guide.

We have observed that more often than not (but not always) kitty's highest dose the second time around will surpass the highest dose when kitty was on insulin the first time.

Protocol suggests testing every 3 hours the first couple of days. You could start tomorrow and simply bump him up with carbs if you need to before you leave or wait til Sunday. It's up to you. This isn't your first rodeo. You know what to do if numbers are dropping, but again... do whatever you're more comfortable with.

Tons of tips 'n tricks to refresh your memory:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

You got this. Stay in touch. Don't disappear.
    Good luck!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

LOL.......reading all the pages and pages of docs on here to refresh my old brain. I also took very detailed notes I'm reading so it's all coming back..........cancelled plans as Davidson is much more precious then going out with the girlfriends. More is better when it comes to testing and since I bought 400 test strips I may as well use them, haha. I'm hoping not to use the 5 pens of insulin - that would be the best rodeo Davidson can ride.

Thanks everyone, and I'll be updating the SS and posts to keep you all informed. Hoping all of YOU are doing well too, and keep fighting and working hard for our loved kitties.

Shawna

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yep, Bubba was a late nadir cat the first rodeo. The second one he mixed it up, the third one was mostly mid cycle and this time he vacillates from an early nadir to a mid cycle nadir. :rolleyes: Like Jill said, you can assume nothing with these sugar kitties. :eek:

I think starting as soon as possible is best. When Bubba was OTJ back in August I had a preventive cleaning done and the stress of that and company for 4 days and a GI upset took him out of remission and as per the vet I waited to see if he would come back down after the company had been gone for a few days and he only got higher and this time around has been the toughest to regulate him.

I hope Davidson will be back OTJ again real soon.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  12. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Davidson's diarrhea is getting better. Good luck with the insulin. Hopefully he won't need it very long. This time around on insulin for Furball her nadir has been earlier and she is more bouncy. Assuming nothing is a good idea.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.