? 3/16 We have our first Blue. 1st day on Lantus ?? for testing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Betchadeb, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Happy Dance :0) We did it, our first blue number on Lantus. My question is, How often should I test tomorrow? I will set my alarm to test Skylar at 1am as it seems her lowest number is 6 hours after injection.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's your previous post

Congratulations on your first blue!! :cool::cool::cool:

Skylar is responding well, especially this early!!....If it's possible, I'd grab a +2 tomorrow...we've seen that the +2 can act a lot like a crystal ball (some cats do better with a +3)

If the +2 is about the same as the Pre-shot, it's usually going to be a pretty normal cycle...gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up

If the +2 is higher than the PS, it could be the beginning of a bounce and those cycles you can usually take a break in testing as much.

If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "early warning" that it's important that you get more tests in later in the cycle.

Other than that, just grabbing tests at different points in the cycle is the best thing you can do...maybe do +2, +5, +8 one day, +3, +6, +9 the next.....just sprinkle them throughout your spreadsheet.

Housekeeping note....it will help if you'll put a "line" into your spreadsheet that shows a definite break from when you changed insulins instead of putting it over in the remarks.

You can add a line and color it something totally different and then put L A N T U S into the cells so it's really clear that you switched. (you can see an example of this kind of line on China's spreadsheet, line 17)

3. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Chris, I did the house keeping, actually my hubby helped as I would probably would have not figured out how to do that, but now I know. I did a plus 2 today and will test at different times through out the day. Skylar is such good girl :0) I cant thank this group enough for all the help. I have 3 full and 1 partial box of u-40 ,3/10 cc, 29 g x 1/2" half unit marking syringes that I want to give to someone "in need", but I want to wait until I am sure that the Lantus is the best insulin for my girl. I'm pleased so far but I think I should wait for a month to be sure? Any advice you can share is truly appreciated.
    Debbie

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job on the "housekeeping"!!

Looks like Skylar is doing well today.....I'd plan on getting a +5 tonight if you can.

You won't know how this dose is really doing for a few more days (when the depot is full) but it's looking good so far!

It takes 5-7 days for the "depot" to fill (Lantus is a depot insulin...it's like timed-release)....until then, the amount that's being released from the depot won't be at the full dose

5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Congrats on hitting a blue all ready! Very cool. :cool: Some kitties have such a nice response right away with the switch to Lantus. To give a insulin a fair shake, 6 months is a good amount of time to know it's working for her.. I switched from Prozinc to Lantus after 6 months and I am so glad I did. I like having a protocol to follow .

6. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Thank you Bobbie and Chris. I did a + 6.5 (I was whooped last night), tonight I will do a +5. I see that a lot of Cats respond very well to Lantus and unfortunately it so expensive in the states, which isn't right as the makers of Lantus and other insulin's are bringing in a huge profit, but that's another discussion. I hope to get Skyler on a pretty even flow before I head in for my CT scan & other tests on the 9th. I cant Thank you all enough for the help. Since its a Depot insulin, do you think I will see lower numbers after 5-7 days?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: made a mistake in putting down the numbers.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Congrats on the blues. If you can, getting Lantus from Canada is the most affordable way.

Betchadeb likes this.
  8. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

I see that Marks is the place to get it from.

9. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Woohoo for blue!

Betchadeb likes this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

11. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

Skylar seems to be staying right around the 200 mark, give or take a few digits. I know it is going to take 5-7 days. I will test at the +3,6,9 tomorrow.

12. Betchadeb

Betchadeb Member

How often should I be testing her now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.