3/17 Aria

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Hope and Aria, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I can truly say, she baffles me.

The lowest she's gotten in the last few days (that I've seen) is the low 200's. She had a big black this morning and I gave her the full 1.6. Seemed to be going down slowly at +5 (273) Just got her at +10 and she's already on the rise at 354. Going to give her until she hits at least +10 and take another test (usually she's fairly solid right here.) Plan is to stick with 1.6 for tonight.

I increased back from 1.4 to 1.5 (eyed) because she wasn't getting out of the 200's after a few days of the reduced dose and her normal PS's were slowly creeping up and rising through the 400's. I'm thinking I should have given her a full 2 u for the black number, but I want her body to get used to a standard dose, so I wet to the full 1.6 (which is barely discernable to the 1.5 that I eyeball)

I think this week is just one of those weeks. Today (I'm guessing because she was running high) she definitely wanted to find a hidey hole and not be bothered. When her bg was it's lowest, she came out to sit with me for a bit. Luckily, she's still eating well. We're coming up on the 45 day period in the next week or so, so I'm expecting some miraculous settling down of numbers, I think. One can hope, right?!

(Edited because there is a HUGE difference between me seeing her in the low 100's and the low 200's and having issue. I'd love the low 100's. I'm lobbying for them.)

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Hi Hope, Looking back at the last few days - it looks like Aria is in the same boat as Prudence. Seems that the ProZinc is only lasting about 8 hours and not 12. I was advised to either go to TID or see if I could get on a longer insulin, but I wanted to try the TID first. I was doing great until I screwed up with the FF w/gravy. I wish I could help you, but I don't know what else to tell you except that you're doing a great job!

I will tell you this. Going to TID has been one heck of a challenge! With Prudence...It's all about timing, not so much amount of insulin. Going to TID I have to really be there b/c with her hanging low due to getting frequent pushes of insulin from the last dose. Yes, this part freaks me out nailbite_smile but if I wait a full 12 hours, she'll be back up on the rollercoaster.

I hope you and Aria have a good day today!!!

3. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Hey Michelle. I swear I thought we were on the right track with the 1.6. If I hadn't tested in the middle, her AM and PM PS's were really close. I almost think I should have just tried the 1.6 one more time and gotten my kit ready just in case. Her numbers looked so good except for that darn 40!! Heck, when they first had her on Prozinc, they upped her dose to 2u BID and she was on that for a few days before I realized something might be wrong (before I starting testing midshot readings)

Ari's duration is lasting right around 10 hours for us. She spikes like nobodies business after that, though. Some days we only get 8, but then I wonder if I hit muscle during the shot (it's hard to tell with a scrawny, but fluffy cat.)

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

My vet suggested I shave a little area on Buddha so that the petsitter would have an easier time shooting the insulin.

I've also read a similiar technique where a small, 2x2 inch area is shaved, and then to shoot each dose in a circle. As if the shaved area were a clock face, shoot 1 o'clock the 1st shot, then 2 o'clock for the next, then 3, etc. until 12 and then start over. That way all the shots don't go in the exact same spot and cause callouses or whatever.

I thought it was an interesting idea, but haven't tried it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.