3/20 Rusty AMPS 224, +5.5 29, PMPS 200; reducie tonight; +4.5 82

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Good First day of Spring, everyone,

It was -5 degrees F. here this morning, but we're celebrating Spring anyway. 3 months ago, when our mountain club chapter was making out it's spring schedule, we optimistically (and also somewhat jokingly) scheduled a paddle for today (the "Icebreaker"). But it would be impossible to get to the water over the snow drifts, even if the water was open. Once or twice we have paddled in March, but not this year!

Rusty had a bad night last night. He woke us around 4 A.M. with terrible honking, raspy noises. I think they were coming from his throat. I wonder if his breathing congestion has settled in his throat. I made a vetty appt. for tomorrow afternoon for a B-12 shot and for her to check him. He only ate a little of his nighttime food, and this morning only about half of his breakfast. After seeing the 29 I put a drop of Karo into his lunch and he ate some. Hopefully he'll want to eat the rest later (Rusty is a grazer). He gets a reducie tonight to a skinny 0.25U (0.15mm on digital calipers, Monoject syringe; down from 0.20mm)

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope they can figure out that congestion for Rusty's sake!

Congrats on the reducie!

3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

My civvie Frankie was "honking" last week, too. She's got bad sinus damage from an infection she had as a teeny kitten. When I looked online about various cat cough issues, I saw that a "reverse sneeze" is what tends to produce that honking cough, so in a way it is still coming from the sinuses. Vetty put her on an AB and she seems much better now, but not perfect. Like Rusty, she does have a chronic situation. I wasn't ready to try a steroid just yet, but maybe a shot for Rusty?? I know you answered me about it once before, but I can't remember how often he can get the depo that seemed to help him so much.

Vetty an appy vines for Rusty.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending healing and appetite vines to Rusty.

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

29 Rusty!? :confused:

Vetty vines for Rusty, I’m sorry he had a rough night, hope the b12 plus whatever else the vet can do will alleviate some of his symptoms for awhile. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks, Amy. I'll discuss this with the vet tomorrow. Rusty did have a steroid shot in January (Depo Medrol 20mg). It was supposed to be effective for 4 or 5 weeks, but only lasted 2 days. Vet said he couldn't have another one (at least not then, but perhaps now it would be ok. I'll ask tomorrow.).

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I was thinking it helped him for longer, since his breathing and appy have been better for the most part?? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

His breathing gradually improved from the worst of the sinus infection (sneezing blood), but it never completely improved to the old "status quo" (which is chronic congestion). His appy goes up and down.

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  9. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Good thing you have calipers, I've been thinking about trying that to get the doses more consistent, I can't imagine trying to draw such a small dose as you have to do for Rusty. Lots of vetty vines, I've heard those reverse sneezes with one of my droolers, they sound horrible.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Poor Rusty honking! Good vetty vines coming your way for tomorrow. My dog, Ricky, does the reverse sneeze. Use to do it a lot and now it is rarely.

And congrats on the reducie.

11. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Rusty is sick, shooting good healing to him from Canada.............what are calipers that you speak of? It might be something for me to get for the .25 and lower dose while I'm away...that way pet sitter can feel comfortable knowing she got the right amt. of insulin. If you can send me a link I would appreciate it.

12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Awww, poor Rusty, so sorry he's feeling under the weather. Hope the vet cn get it all sorted out and put him on the road to a rapid recovery. Congrats on the reducie.

LagoonMeistr Rusty, you just takz it easy, LagoonMeisterin China and allz us dep'teez will beez extra diligent and takz care of t'ings til' you iz feelin' better.
    ~Dep'ty SquallieBear

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the vet can help Rusty tomorrow. Sending prayers.

14. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

he's gotta get thru tonite.... so here's a bunch of good breathing vines.... and some appy vines too.

You'd think there would be some ab that they could inject in a cat besides convenia.

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thanks for additional confirmation of the possibility of a "reverse sneeze." I'm definitely discussing it with Rusty's vet tomorrow. Edward says that his uncle used to do the same reverse sneeze!

Rusty had a better afternoon. He finished his lunch (with the drop of Karo in it) shortly before PMPS, so of course we have a nice bounce. Took the reduction to a skinny 0.25U. He's eaten about a third of his dinner so far, waiting for me to come down to hold the bowl.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Here's the link to Marje's presentation on Dosing with Calipers
    The calipers she mentions and that many of us use are 4-inch digital calipers sold online by Harbor Freight.

Thanks, Christie, for your additional information on reverse sneezes!

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  17. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you're feeline better than last night, Rusty. I don't know about that 29--you're my mentor in the Kitchen, but it might be better if you're not my mentor in the Lagoon. Be careful out there!
    Vines from me and my momma,
    Felix

18. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

My vet said that it is believed to be caused by allergies.

20. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on calipers............too funny as I have a set since I used them when I was racing and needed micro fine adjustments on my suspension. Now to have them and use them on Davidson is really funny, at least to me and my racing friends. I've been pretty good at the low doses, at least 4 yrs ago I was.........I'll dig them out just in case I need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.