?3/21/19 Groucho AMPS 85 NO SHOOT, 6+364 12+309 PMPS 309 U4

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Donna & Groucho, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Donna & Groucho

Donna & Groucho New Member

Groucho 14yr, Dx Nov., Lantus; just now started seeing some good low #'s. So low that I'm not shooting. My question is, when is to low to shoot can I delay the shot? And if so, by how many hours, and should i reduse the dose, and by how much? What i've experienced , and you can see on my chart, if it's too low in the a.m. and i don't shoot, then she goes half the day with #'s 300. Appreciate anybody's experience with this scenario. Donna https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._IzvwLRgHSHSDJDLk26UybdHp-4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Attached Files:

2. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome :cool:

We have a couple ‘roadmaps’ to help you get your kitty safely on the right track. SLGS and TR. please read about them here and consider which might best suit you.

Hang in there and hang in here. Plenty of experienced folks to guide you.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Donna!!

I really think that you may be giving too much insulin. Too much insulin can look like too little because the body will release stored sugars and hormones to compensate for too much insulin and you end up with high numbers!

You were on 10U of Humulin before you switched to Lantus?

What were you feeding at that time?

When we get Pre-shot numbers that are too low to shoot followed by highs, it's usually a sign that the dose is too high.

4. Donna & Groucho

Chris, Thank you for responding!!! Since dx in Nov. she's been on FF pate & now on Friskies Pate. She's been on Lantus 5U for a while now though. With high 300+ #'s. Again today woke up bg 169 I shot 4U and 3+ she was 85 bg. Good right, but again that's not nadir or however you say it. So @ 10+ I test her & she's 35!!!!! But i didn't panic, cause she was laying down, got up to get her snack so I can test, she was totally acting fine! I gave her FF gravy and dry cat food from the other kitty. Now @ 12+ she's 87. So should I just drastically reduce like to 2U? I'm so confused!!

Attached Files:

5. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Looking at your spreadsheet, Groucho has earned a couple of reductions. Lantus needs to be dosed consistently, so you need to find a safe dose that doesn’t leave you skipping shots. Given your recent experience, I would probably want to go as low as 2 units, and see what happens. If that’s not getting his nadirs below 200, then you can start increasing sloooooowly until you get to an appropriate dose.

Please take the time to read and reread the stickies to learn about Tight Regulation and Start Low, Go Slow. Then you can decide which one is going to be the best fit for you.

6. Donna & Groucho

Thanks for your input. I ended up doing 1.5 and am up and testing!

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think I'd drop back to 2.5U and see how it goes while you re-learn how Groucho responds (if she's above 150 at Pre-shot) Until we have more data on her on a lower dose, if you get a PS less than 150, I'd suggest stalling, don't feed and post for help. Retest in 20-30 minutes to see if the number comes up without the influence of food. If it does, it's usually OK to shoot.

If you drop back too much, you end up wasting a lot of time working your way back up, but I really think 4U may be too much (especially with that 39 today!)

I think that Groucho is looking like an over-dosed cat.....dropping so low that her body responds by dumping stored sugars and hormones to bring her back up.

I'm glad you didn't give more tonight.....It may be a long night for you. I'd be sure to get a +1 and +2 tonight so if you need to intervene, you can do it early