? 3/21 Davidson AMPS 230, +2-178, +4-160, +5-182

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shawna & Davidson (GA), Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I had hope Davidson would drop and give at least one test in the greens, but I guess not. In fact, his numbers seem to be higher with this dose as he's had two tests in the pinks at 301........do you think he's building his depot or just getting used to the insulin?

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you see some green soon. I wonder if you're seeing some NDW from the dosecrease?

3. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

NDW is New Dose Wonkiness. Sometimes when you increase the dose the BG can go higher briefly any time in the first couple if cycles before it comes down.

5. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

haha, thanks.........I looked in the glossary part but couldn't find it.................he's just dropped at +2 to 178, so I'll do a +4 and see how far he drops

6. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

One thing I should add when testing at +2 is that he usually eats a bit before that, he grazes once he eats after the shot, and I don't remove the food..........that could effect his numbers, but overall I think he is doing well for a small dose and for only his 3rd day day on insulin.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Shawna. With the +2 being lower than the preshot, looks like you might see an active cycle today.

8. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Bobbie......I’ve been doing a lot of testing so giving his ears a rest and will do a +4 as that should still be lower then a +3.....he’s feeling good as no diarrhea and certainly likes to eat once the AB wears off a bit.....

I can’t recall how to enter half hour tests, for example do a test at +5.5 or +10.5.....I know you can add it and thought just put a “+” in front of the the number on the SS and add the BG
    Example +5.5@156......or do I have it backwards? Sometimes at late evenings I can test if I wake up and don’t want to wait for the full hour to pass.

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

What's that song...........Take the Long Way Home...........yup, that's Davidson! But he is going lower.

10. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Well, I guess it's waiting time for tonight, as going up already.........if you look at his SS, do you think the dose is enough? Or is it that he's reacting to the insulin and should hold this dose a few more days and see what he does after tomorrow. Since I'm home, it's not a problem increasing a bit more and he always has my full and undivided attention, so there is no risk from my side?

Suggestions or comments from those more experienced............it's 4 1/2 days since starting and he had some lower numbers without the insulin and his BG seems higher now with larger dose then the first couple of days. Perhaps his body was shocked and reacted and brought lower numbers...........maybe that's the way it works. I'm not well versed on the technical aspect of how insulin works, but I am very comfortable testing and shooting at all numbers and understanding that part. Probably better not to know, or I'd have to go for my PhD LOL...........

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Shawna. I understand where you're coming from, but I'd try to let this dose play out for at least another cycle or two. Look at Alex's 2009 ss. Numbers went up before they went down. I don't know why, but it's not uncommon.

Davidson's doing well. I don't want to suggest pushing too hard because I don't want to get him bouncing. Perhaps re-evaluate after holding the current dose for 5 cycles?

Just my thoughts...

Note to anyone following: Shawna is an experienced caregiver. She's available/willing to monitor closely both day and night when necessary. Achieving regulation/OTJ status a second time requires being as aggressive as one can while keeping kitty safe. Please don't copy this dosing method. If you have questions about your cat, please ask in your thread. In the interest of safety, different circumstances require different approaches.

12. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Thanks Jill, yes I agree on keeping him here while he not only builds his depot, but gets used to being on insulin. We all have to understand that ECID as is each owner and not many are able to be at home 24/7 like myself.

As well, Davidson also just came off meds today, and surgery less the a week ago, and we don’t need to be a doctor to know that the infections in his mouth are still in his system and will play a part in how the insulin reacts to him fighting off the infections, recovering from surgery and then the onset of insulin again. Like us human types when we have a cold, virus is in us long before we have symtoms and it leaves us and still have our ammune system not 100%.

I know we all want to rush things, including me - but with patience, understanding and a lot of testing we all see the results. I’m fully aware the Davidson may never go OTJ, and although it’s life changing - I’d still change my lifestyle for his schedule. I can golf, travel and do lots of things later......so at this time he has my undivided attention and he loves it!

In fact at 6am today, after feeding the first half can with the last of the AB, he gets a bit dozy and goes to bed for a bit and then eats again. With having to remove his food the 2hrs before shooting, I thought I’d take his food to MY bed where he was sleeping and encourage him to eat a bit more to absorb the AB. Well, if MR D didn’t enjoy that offer, the guy never even got up and simply lifted his head and ate the entire other half can while lazily lounging fully stretched out.

So, who exactly is the boss and getting the royal treatment? Certainly not me!! Haha, they train us very well don’t they.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hahaha! Now that made me literally laugh out loud!!!
    Davidson has you wrapped around his little paw. Don't they all?!?!
    What we willingly do for these little guys!

14. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Actually, his Brother Harley is worse, but this was the first time I took food to him in my bed - now I only wonder who is going to bring me breakfast in bed?? That's okay, the unconditional love our little guys & girls give us is worth all the work.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.