3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133, PMPS=95, +1=106, +2=67, +4=52, +5=56

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dawn & Nova, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

yesterday's condo

Nova's doing fine.. she volunteered for testing (for the extra treats she gets if she volunteers).. and then went totally rotten on me for her shot as usual.. we've been having this standoff for 2 or 3 weeks now.. both of us are incredibly stubborn :). But she's pretty good about testing.. and since that happens a lot more then twice a day, I'll happily take it :)... and I'd still rather shoot her than pill her.. she's a pilling nightmare.

She disappeared after breakfast.. which is a little odd for her.. she usually comes by and says hi before she goes off for her morning nap..

She snuck away from the greens on me again.. do I give a slight fat 1U a try tonight?

2. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133

Would that be a drop more to current dose? Loved the skinny-fat 1 unit.... not sure what the heck it is, but I got a laugh out of it.
    Seriously, I do know that a drop does make a difference. If you can measure it, then give it a try. Nova is doing very well and might even come down on her own on this current dose if you want to wait it out instead. You know how she responds better than I do.. and it is a teeny tiny adjustment.

Good luck!

3. Dawn & Nova

Hmm I don't know.. maybe how I do it is wrong..

if the needle is vertical.. with the needle part at the bottom.. I was taught that 1U is with the bottom of the plunger at the bottom of the 1U line.. fat 1U is the bottom of the plunger at the top of the 1U line.. and so slightly fat is with the bottom of the plunger in the middle of the line. So I go to a fat 1U..and then smiiiidgin the thing a tiny bit..and an itty bitty bit of insulin comes out the needle and I wipe it away with a paper towel.

I dunno.. I have pretty good vision (20/15).. and am pretty ridiculously OCD about bubbles and lining up doses.. It's one of the few freaking things I seem to have any control over in this stupid dance.. and I'm a control freak ;).. pretty sure I've hypo'd my sink a million times over with the amount of insulin I give it..

Until the f1U adventure.. I would have insisted that there is no way I.. being human.. could be consistent enough that a f1U would make any difference at all.. and now I'm not so sure :)

Kind of curious to try a sf1U.. see if there's any changes.. because if there is.. I'm probably SUPER HUMAN :).

I don't actually know how much "a drop" is.. a drop big enough it falls off the needle by itself? a tiny itty bitty bubble that sits on the needle but won't fall off.. I can come up with 3 different sizes of those.. so I don't know how much that would be either.

4. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

These are all the thoughts I've had as I look at ss of kitties who are getting doses other than nice simple whole units or .5's, .75's I can even see a.25 but I'm not sure I can tell the difference any smaller than those. I guess this is a good arguement for finally going in for an eye exam though since I've been noticing some vision changes and now I'm *really* noticing it since I'm reading tiny labels and syringes and getting drops of blood from a black ear in a dark room. Old age, I haz it already. :shock:

5. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I like this shot Greg did.
    [​IMG]

6. Marvie and Tugger

Re: 3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133, +3=97

I just totally stole that image and saved it to my hard drive in the FD folder... just in case.

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Nova is looking good today! :) Happy Fursday.

8. Dawn & Nova

oooh that is a pretty picture!

Does anyone know which drop is the difference between the top of the line and the bottom of the same line on the syringe? Also, which of those 3 is "1 drop"?

Edit: the full unit lines.. 1U, 2U etc.. not the 1/2.. those lil buggers are thinner for probably some important reason. Don't think I'd ever be able to get in the middle of a .5 line..

Edit AGAIN: I just went back and looked at the pictures in the new to the group sticky.. the 1U/2U etc lines on those are WAY bigger then the 1U lines on the needles I have.. so maybe all the needles are different and how "much" is in 1 line worth depends from brand to brand..

Anyways.. as long as I'm consistent with what I do with Nova and whatever label I put on it.. it doesn't matter i guess..

9. CD and BigMac

Alert! Beans with OCD... this condo is full of them. Run......!!!

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Too late CD. Should have put that warning at the top.
    But I will say that my headache got bigger reading.
    I too have no clue Dawn, sorry for the lack of help.
    I measure at the line for my .5 or at least I think I do.
    I don'y know how I will measure less and what that less is called.

Nova is looking very nice today!!!

11. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133, +3=97, +5=81

Non-Nova update because I'm SO excited!!!

Jerry ate 1/4 can of FF today with hardly any help at all!!! All I had to do was hold the plate! No forcing, no finger feeding, no baby food, no spoon!! Just holding the plate and saying encouraging things.. ugh it would be such a relief if he would start eating on his own again.

ALSO.. if that isn't enough to celebrate.. I think I found a trick for Hitch to be able to eat wet food without getting it up his nose and getting sick.. I plastered 1/4 can out on a small plate like a big pancake..and sat there for 15 minutes cheering him on every time he took a lick! Not sure if THAT will ever work again.. but here's hoping!

12. Sarah and Buzz

Woohoo, good news on all kitty fronts! I hope Jerry continues eating on his own; maybe this will help him remember how good food is. Poor little Hitch, getting food up his nose. :( That must be hard. I hope your new trick keeps on working.

13. Dawn & Nova

It's actually really funny at the time.. the next 2-4 weeks fighting the infection however.. NOT SO MUCH :).

14. Sarah and Buzz

If he likes his food liquidy, maybe you could make it pretty thin and get one of those water bottles for hamsters, you know the kind with the metal ball that hangs from the cage? You could rig it up somewhere and he could drink his dinner. ;)

15. Marvie and Tugger

Here's hoping the trick works! It doesn't sound at all pleasant to get cat food up your nose. Just the thought made mine wrinkle up in fear. Poor little dude. Yay for not having to assist the feeding too much! The things we do for our little furry butted kids. I've been there. It's hard. Sounds like all your hard work is paying off though =)

Pretty numbers Nova has today!

16. Dawn & Nova

It's so funny that you suggested that.. when he was a little guy.. I actually got so desperate I TRIED a hamster water bottle with him to get him to drink water.. didn't work so good.. his tremors made him bang his teeth on the metal it was awful :(.. 3 cat fountains later I found one he will use for water (and to drown his toys in)..

I think I may have enough tricks up my sleeve now to "make the move".. going to give it an honest go today/tomorrow.. because his kibbie bag is almost empty.. so before dropping another $40 on that garbage.. see if I can cut it out completely with a mix of this mornings trick, chicken, turkey, ham, and some HC meow mix wet chunks with gravy he does ok with (yuck but better then kibbies). 6-8 meals a day.. and each thing only seems to work for 1 or 2 times a day at most.. but maybe will let him get a little hungry ;).

I have to make it work.. can't risk diabetes with him because I have NO idea how I would shoot or test a cat that tremors like he does..

17. Sarah and Buzz

Oh, I didn't even think about his teeth banging. :( What about a small cake stand along with your mashing trick from this morning? Something like this is what I'm imagining: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Milk-Glass-Gold ... 27b0540916

If it were the right height, maybe he wouldn't have to put his face down like kitties normally do to eat, and then with you flattening the food too?

I don't mean to come along and sound like I think I have all the answers. I am sure you have thought of everything already and have tried most of it. ;) Sometimes I just can't get a puzzle out of my head.

I hope you can get him off the kibble and he'll get his appetite to stick around. You're a good mama bean for working so hard for your boys (and Nova, of course). :)

18. Dawn & Nova

Hmm you know what.. for a long time, before I found the "perfect" fountain for him.. he got the majority of the water out of the bathtub.. I'd fill it in the morning before work and let him drink before I washed up.. it was the perfect height so that he could drape over and his tremors wouldn't dunk his face.. but I hadn't thought of trying to come up with the same sort of deal with food.. hmm... going to have to think on that one :)..

Probably even the people around here think I'm crazy telling this stuff.. his eating/drinking is nothing.. took almost a full year to teach him how to litterbox leaning against the edge.. what a messy year that was for both of us..

His CH isn't even that bad.. he doesn't have much of the CONSTANT tremors.. and his gate isn't THAT screwed up..but if he tries to concentrate on something or gets excited..it's game over.

19. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Please make sure that you alert me when Nova is on the "FAT ZERO" dose...I really really wanna BE here to read about that.
    Oh...LOLOLOLOLOL....that will be a GOOD one indeed!
    Beautiful numbers!!! Yippee!!

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great numbers!

That was a great idea about a feeding station. I know there are some beans who have mentioned having a low bench/step/table that they feed their cats on that has been helpful with kitties with arthritis.

21. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133, +3=97, +5=81, PMPS=95

Nova decided that she wanted to have a green PS all by herself.. so I didn't muck with her dose.

If she has a green +1.. I may completely freak out. Blue +1 and green +2.. and I'll do a little dance..but not a big one! :)

22. CD and BigMac

Oooh, very purty PMPS! Don't freak out if you get a green +1, k?

[​IMG]

23. Dawn & Nova

Not a bad freak out.. it would be a really GOOD freak out!

24. CD and BigMac

[​IMG]

Good freak out... More like this?

25. Dawn & Nova

Pretty close.. maybe with some happy tears too.. about 20 mins after she ate she started doing her "SHOOGARS IN MY BRAAAAINS" spiel.. "caught" her "bird" (honeysuckle pillow) and just howling like crazy in the bathroom.. that usually comes at +2.. normally she goes for a nap after food.. right now we're playing bottle caps.. I think I might explode.

26. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/25 - Nova - AMPS=133, +3=97, +5=81, PMPS=95, +1=106, +2=67

Hmm could that +2 be a sign of what I was hoping to see at +1? I don't want to say it out loud :).

27. Marvie and Tugger

*tiptoes in to see how things are going, sees the pretty numbers and the quiet and tiptoes back out*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.