? 3/26 Bronx vet visit, arthritic pain med options I should ask about?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bronx's dad (GA), Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morn all. Bronx has a vet appt in about an hour & wondering what pain meds I should ask about for his arthritis. Putting anything in his cheek pocket (like Bupe) won't work since he fights me real hard when I go near his mouth. I did ask my vet about Torb on the phone and she seems against that but will ask again. I did hear there is a form of Bupe than can be applied to the ear? Any other meds I should ask about that doesn't have to be put in the cheek? He is on Adequan right now and don't plan on stopping that. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I think there is a transdermal bupe and also a tramadol version.
    I found with Shadow that she needed her adequan shot every 3 weeks instead of the usual 4.

The other thing you might look into is a kitty heating pad. They have limits on how high they go.
    I had this one.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Thanks Rhiannon. He does have a heated tempurpedic pad which he does spend a lot of time on. Adequan is every 3 weeks but he was hurting more towards the 3rd week, I was going to ask about moving that up as well. I will ask about the different versions of bupe, thanks!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Acupuncture really helped Neko. As did Duralactin, an anti inflammatory. But you want to run that one by your vet before starting it.

Sending good vet visit vines.

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Vet thinks Bube SubQ will be better absorbed than transdermal so we will try that. 0.5ml to start 2x/day or maybe even just once a day in the morn depending if I think he needs it in the evening hours when he spends much time sleeping anyway. I will ask about Duralactin next if Bube doesn't do the trick. I will look into acupuncture, Bronx does not have any problem going in the carrier for rides to docs, thanks!

6. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

No experience with pain meds other than bupenorphine Post-op and years ago compounded Tramadol for cancer pain.

Have had good results with acupuncture over the years for cats with different kinds of conditions.

There’s also a Chinese herb combination called “Body Sore” that I think has helped Azalea some along with acupuncture. But idk if there are possible interactions with other kinds of meds.

Hope all goes well for you both❤️

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ah, good luck with the sub Q bupe and hope that Bronx gets relief! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Duralactin is a supplement, so doesn't require a prescription, but there are some contraindications, like high calcium levels, so definitely check with vet before starting. If you do want to try it I have an unopened bottle left over from my cats I'd be happy to send you. If you want it, PM me with your address.

Sending loads of pain-be-gone vines.

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s a great heated bed, I bought one for Harley and he never leaves it......don’t even notice any increase in my hydro bill since it’s just 6w

10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Poor Bronx. :(

I hope you find something that helps. Is the vet going to give you a script for the injectable bupe?

11. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Both Harley and Davidson have arthritis, which was dx’d from X-rays and I purchased a powered product that works.

Purica Recovery SA, which is similar to glucosamine and in fact one of the ingredients. It has no effect on diabetes as I’ve been giving it to Davidson for several years. I’m not sure if it’s availabel in USA, but I’m sure you can get a similar product. It takes a couple of months to work, and may or may not be helpful to you.

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

13. HWright

I add msm, too, it sez vegan, non-gmo kind.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I see in your signature you give your cat adequan, but how often are you giving it? Perhaps increasing the frequency would help.

15. jayla-n-Drevon

@JanetNJ has suggested the frequency of adequan can make a huge difference. When I started the boys years ago it was 1x a month fast forward to 19 and 20 years old it is 1x a week and even every 4 days if it is a very cold day or they seem to need a boost.

16. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Good luck with the arthritis meds! I'll bookmark all the responses you get.

17. Bronx's dad (GA)

Yep. Starting at 0.5ml 1 or 2x/day. She said it is the same compound as the one given orally.

18. Bronx's dad (GA)

Every 3 weeks but vet said I can up that to 2.5 weeks. He was getting worse towards the end of that 3rd week.

19. Bronx's dad (GA)

Vet was even leery of every 2 weeks and suggested every 2.5 weeks from his current 3 week interval.

20. Bronx's dad (GA)

So Cosequin can make #s skyrocket too? (it contains glucosamine).

I will look into MSM, thanks! How long does a 1lb last?

21. Bronx's dad (GA)

I will look into that, thanks!

HWright likes this.
  22. Bronx's dad (GA)

His BW calcium levels are at the high end of the normal-range scale. Would that be a deciding factor that my vet will use?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  23. HWright

NP! :bighug:

24. Bronx's dad (GA)

It is avail here, I will also look into that. Thanks!

25. Wendy&Neko

I also gave the Recovery SA Neko to start. It's a lot like Cosequin with MSM added. Get the extra strength version if you can. I just added it to Neko's food. But at some point, it wasn't strong enough to help her. Hyaluronic acid can also help (Hyaflex) is one brand. It's a tasteless liquid. My brother takes it (not the Hyaflex brand) for his knees.

26. Bronx's dad (GA)

Looks like the chewable tablets are avail here, is that what you used?

27. Wendy&Neko

I used the powder Recovery SA. The chewable tablets are huge (for dogs).

28. jayla-n-Drevon

The stuff I get has a loading dose of 1/8 tsp 2x a day for a month I think.
    Yhen 1/8 1x a day. It will last a long time.
    I put in the “everything “ capsule.
    I was shocked how fast it helped. I wasn’t using it for arthritis. My Shop cat went into kidney failure and was pretty bad shape even with all the stuff.
    Somehow I stumbled on that theholistichorse site and saw it.
    I was preparing to let her go but thought to try 1 more thing. She was noticeably brighter in about 12 hours.
    I guess it is helping the kidney inflammation and helping the blood flow to eliminate toxins.
    The stuff I use does have a slight taste. If you can’t pill I would look for one with no taste.

29. jayla-n-Drevon

I never used cosequen but I would do a trial and take him off it to see if he comes down.

30. jayla-n-Drevon

Lol
    Yeah I don’t know why vets are so afraid of dosing adequan sooner. The only side effects are good ones. My vet works with horses too and they often get weekly.

31. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, Cosequin doesn't seem to be a problem for most cats, but it did increase Alex's BG numbers. To minimize the impact I gave half the daily dose twice a day.

32. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

I gave Cosequin to both Harvey and Cinco, and never felt that it affected their BGs, but ECID.

33. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.