3/26 Willow ~ Vet visit (long) +16~431 Shot Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Complick8d, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Last post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10138

WCR: Preshots have been high the last few cycles.

Vet Report: Weight has gone back up to 11.22lbs since his February visit, so his weight loss is no longer a concern. Temp was normal at 100.5

Upon exam:
    -BAR (bright and alert)
    -Nuclear Sclerosis O.U.
    -Walking down on hocks; weakness in rear legs
    -Cardiac auscultation shows NSF (nothing of significance found) and there are no obvious pulse deficits in rear legs

Diagnosis:
    Diabetic Neuropathy
    Cardiac/circulation problem

Recommendations:
    -Cyanocabalamin therapy (Vitamin B12 injections) .25ml/weekly (1000 mcg.ml concentration)

I discussed methyl B12 versus B12 and she is going to research it further. If anyone has any good medical links I can pass on to her, that would be great.

She went ahead and gave him an injection of B12 to get something in his system until I can get the methyl B12 if I choose to go that route instead of the B12 injections.

She also inspected and tried to aspirate the bump but the placement makes it hard to get the needle to it. She agreed is does feel like a fatty tumor and wants me to watch it for any growth or changes.

WBR:
    I haven't been around to post or update Willow's spreadsheet and I haven't been doing much testing the last couple of cycles. I spent yesterday dealing with last minute preparation for the unemployment appeals hearing that took place this morning. The hearing was horrible. My employers lied on many points and also included letters from people who had no first hand knowledge of the case. It's likely to go in their favor and even if it doesn't, I assume they'd appeal the result. Too much stress!

2. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Re: 3/26 Willow ~ Vet visit (long)

Nope, Cyanocobalamin won't help -- the molecule won't get past the blood-brain barrier into the spinal cord where it's needed. Gotta use Methylcobalamin (though that's easy to dose by mouth) See

http://drzarkov.com/delano/Articles/Met ... -pets.html

and also this article and the (VERY MEDICAL) links it points to, for your vet.

http://www.laurieulrich.com/jasper/

The need for the methyl form in treating neuropathy is still not well-known to most doctors and vets but as you can see from the studies, there is evidence for it already.

See also the first comment on http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/B ... n-and-b12/

An important point -- the fact that most of this evidence mentions cats rather than humans to me increases its credibility. Humans are subject to placebo effect; cats are not.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Jordan & Willow)))
    Thank you for the update, I am so happy you were able to make it to the vet, at least now we know what is going on with wonderful Willow :YMHUG: I am thinking of you both & pray everyday for both your strength to get thru this trying time. I know you are going through a lot & so is Willow. Please give him a big hug & kiss from Baby & I.

Happy furbaby Friday & hang in there.. he needs you & you will succeed eventually! :RAHCAT

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thanks for the update.

I use this type of methyl-B-12. Unlike many of the varieties available, it does not contain sugar and is in capsule form so it's easy to mix into food.

5. Complick8d

Is this where you order it from as well?

I just got home from a babysitting job and since my mom is on a cruise and not here to give shots, Willow is at +16~431. I really hate not giving him any insulin until morning shot time 8 hours away and am tempted to give just a tiny dose of .25u and then resume normal shot time in the morning. Should I give a mini dose or just skip shot entirely until morning.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I wouldn't shoot a partial dose. It will muck up the shed. Remember that Lantus doesn't act like a bolus (short-acting) insulin.

And yes, that's where I order from.

7. Complick8d

Didn't shoot. I just hate when I have to skip a shot when he's in higher numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.