3/27 Bear Man update and test results

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last week's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9718

Bear Man has had a good week. I have been home sick since my vacation, and he does better with his eating and house soiling when someone is around to give structure to his day. I'm back to tbp tomorrow, so it will be up to Teddy to keep him on track. He spends about half his time in the blue. His morning amps is usually upper yellow, then he wafts down like a leaf during the day to a low blue for pmps. He starts back up about 2 - 3 hours after his evening shot and pred. I suppose he could use a bit of fat on his .5 unit. His appetite is pretty decent for him, and he is maintaining his weight with the help of his renal kibble. He sleeps a lot, but doesn't appear to be in pain. He moves very slowly and uncertainly. He is tolerating his phosphorus binder given twice daily, and his latest bloodwork was OK (for him). His creatinine was up a bit (US 1.88), his potassium has dropped again (4.1), his calcium was up (US 10.08), but his phosphorus has improved (US 5.88), so his calcium X phosphorus product was below 60. His T4 has dropped. USG is down to 1.017. His is still quite anemic, and there was still a lot of blood in his urine. This was confirmed by a free catch specimen, in case the cystocentesis caused any bleeding. Another urine culture was done, and was negative. He has had blood in his urine for months now. I have no idea why.

Link to bloodwork and urinalysis: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bwg ... OTll&hl=en

Miss Emily has started treatment with the phosphorus binder as well. The vet is talking about starting Calcitriol for her, if we can get her phosphorus down. My vet has never used it, and needs time to research it. I wonder if Bear would also be a candidate. Among my concerns would be the expense of the frequent bloodwork monitoring that has to be done after starting it, and if Bear really needs another drug in the mix. I have a lot of questions about Calcitriol, and I am really on the fence about it.

Teddy Man is still battling his URI. Yesterday was scare the civies day - I tested everyone's BG. Teddy was the highest in the 70's. I am concerned about his Dex causing diabetes.

I don't spend as much time on the Board these days, but I do lurk in look in on a lot of Bear's friends. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

On the whole, this sounds pretty good! Sorry you've been sick but staying home with the kitties sounds pretty good to me.

3. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty good, overall. I don't know how you manage three sick babies! You're a great mommy bean, that's for sure. I hope things will continue to go well. Sorry you've been sick - that's no fun! Hope you and your babies feel better soon and have a great weekend, Linda.

4. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Hope you're feeling better, Linda. Great to hear the Bear had a good week.

I doubt I could easily test my little girl civvies. They have tiny ears and one doesn't like to be handled much yet (I'm hoping she outgrows that).

5. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Overall not a bad report :smile:

Hope you feel better soon Linda.

6. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hope you're feeling better soon. Boo started Calcitriol 3 months ago...I should have results back on Monday. Will be interesting to see what it's done.

7. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Hi Linda and Bear! You always amaze me Linda. You never seem to complain and you have so much on your plate.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ah now I feel better; an update on Bear Man and it's a good update too!

Sorry to hear you were ill, but glad you are getting back to normal again.
    Wow, testing everyone! I would love to test Booboo, but tiny as she is, she scares the crap outta me!

I hope you and the crew have a great weekend, Linda.

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

So nice to hear from you Linda but sorry to hear you have been sick since your vacation.
    Could have been worse. Many years ago my DD and XDH got the chicken pox from Disney,
    now that was not fun.
    Nice report on all your kitties and Bear Man's numbers look pretty good.
    Bigs hugs to your gang and sending healing vines to all of you.

10. Lynn and Angel

Lynn and Angel Member

Linda, you are so devoted to those 3 special kitties. I admire you for the (seemingly) tireless way you take care of everyone. Hope Bear Man continues having those good days.

11. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I admire you too, Linda! You are so positive and loving always. Sorry you have to go back to tbp now....they will surely miss you being there with them all day. Great report!
    And please tell Bear Man that his stool at the bar is reserved as usual for the Full Moon fll_moon Party this Tuesday! Everyone is invited ---time for the ritual howling once again! Hope you're feeling good now....so great to see your post! HUGS~!

12. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Well, well, well Bear Man! Glad to hear you are enjoying a little extra time w/ your momma bean! Latte also does better when I am at home...lol, the structure...makes me think of kids. But it is so true!

it seems like good things are coming about by using the binder. Im glad he is not noticing it in the food.

Thanks for your thoughts in my condo today,and many of the other days in the last ummmm...how ever many months! :mrgreen: You are a great help, and very much appreciated Linda.

13. Denise & Oreo (GA)

Denise & Oreo (GA) Member

Hi Linda. I'm so glad I picked tonight to pop on while you are here. I've missed my daily Bear Man reports. But like you, I do manage to quietly keep up and hearing that Bear Man was not well made me so sad. I'm glad to hear he had a good week. I am not familiar with all the meds you speak of, but I truly hope they help him feel even better. As many have said before me, YOU are one amazing woman. You make dealing with 3 sick kitties and being sick yourself, sound like no big deal. I don't know how you manage it. But I'm sure those 3 kitties of yours are glad that you do.

I hope things improve for you and all your kitties soon. ((Linda)) Take care of yourself too. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.