3/28 Sabrina AMPS 505, +2.75 356, +4 315 ????Help..WHERE DO I GO WITH DOSING????

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Sabrina's 2/24 Condo
    Good Morning Lantus Land!! We've been M.I.A. for the past month or so.......Sabrina was fighting a URI 3 weeks ago & was prescribed Clavamox, which upset her tummy & she refused to eat.....out comes the syringe feeding, got forti-flora, continued with the Sub Q fluids....OMG I also had a very erratic work schedule so our whole routine has been upset & Sabrina's bgs are all over the place...........:(

*****PLEASE EXPERIENCED EYES******* :(I need advice on where to take her dose to get that nice curve each of us is looking to achieve. I have updated her ss through this morning & posted on the tab her labs for dka dx plus follow up Lytes panel. I will be picking up more fluids today ....Do I continue to administer her fluid therapy & is there something else I'm missing that might indicate another health issue lurking that my veterinarian has neglected to mention????????:confused: Please let me know if there's any info needed that I forgot to mention....... Thank you from the bottom of our hearts... Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

3/28
    AMPS 505 1.25U - 100ml Sub Q
    +2.75 356
    +4 315
    +7.75 198........slowly going down:woot:
    +9.5 169
    PMPS 198 1.25U
    +2.25 185
    +4.5 116......going to set my alarm, hope to wake up & get overnight bg..:facepalm:
    ...................Nope, never happened!!! @7:30 amps 268, time to start a new day

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Reason for edit: add info
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Cindy.

One quick thought... When you get a number like that 505, do you re-test? Whenever I get a number that seems totally out of context, I will retest. Sometimes, it's a wonky meter reading or a bad strip. I would see what the AM cycle looks like and consider raising the dose tonight. Remember, you can raise the dose every 6 cycles -- sometimes sooner, if need be.

I didn't see anything on your SS about a DKA diagnosis. Was Sabrina recently diagnosed with DKA?

On her labs, it looks like the WBC is elevated. If she is recovering from DKA, this is especially concerning. DKA results from not enough insulin, not eating, and an infection/inflammation. I'd call and ask the vet about the WBC value and if Sabrina needs to continue on an antibiotic and whether the clavamox is the right AB -- especially given how miserable it made her. As long as you're concerned about DKA, fluids are OK -- they help to both flush out ketones and to "dilute" the blood which can lower BG.

If you're not already doing so, get some Ketostix so you can test for ketones at home.

3. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Yes Sienne she was Dx Dka 2/10/15......was given Covenia @ hospital, then dx with uri ....clavamox for that. yes I have been testing for ketones & have been coming up trace or negative.......I am keeping on top of that. I'm picking up sub q now & will grab one of the techs to see if another infection might be brewing.....maybe another office visit..... Thank you
    PS I also retest 2 or 3 times if #s are wonky.....gone through strips quickly in the last 2 weeks

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

She's really had a rough time of it - which i know means you have too. :bighug:

Today's curve suggests to me that the lowest this dose is getting her is into blue numbers. If your goal is green, she probably needs a dose increase.

It would be helpful if the ketone tests were added to the comments section of the ss. You're obviously doing everything you can to help her. The one thing i don't see mentioned on the ss is Vit B-12. It can be very helpful. My vet says it often will perk up a senior kitty. It might be worth asking your vet about it. You use insulin syringes to give it.

5. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Hi Julie! ketones are negative.... just didn't comment as this is the 1st update in about 1 month, omg! I have Sabrina on Zobaline which also I forgot to mention on the comments. I'd love to get Sabrina back in the green but I'm a bus driver who has a dedicated run Tuesdays-Thursdays but Mondays & Fridays I cover runs that needed to be covered & they send me 1-1/2hrs from my base, which is 40 minutes(average) from my house....sometimes I'm gone 14-16 hrs a day & I have no pet sitter to give Sabrina her insulin.:( Right now I want to keep her safe & just purchased an auto feeder. I leave food out for her to free feed(ff classics & friskies sd) I'm going to play around with the feeder & see if she'll go to it (very skittish) & maybe regulate her food intake throughout the day. Suggestions???? trying my best for almost 3 years.....she's alive & I count my blessings with this insane schedule of mine!!!!:rolleyes: Thank you for your reply......appreciate it very much! Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.