3/29-ELLIOTT: OTJ Trial Day #7-AMBG=64..Would BG=47-64 be okay 1 year from now?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Hi, I want to thank everyone who follows and cares so much about Elliott..You ALL got him to where he is now...Now, I don't want to get ahead of myself but..say that the trial works and Elliott continues on his path in remission. Is a BG of 47, 57, and mostly 60's okay for a cat? I do understand that the AlphaTrak raises the values to approximately 50-90's for cats. I just wondered if others experienced the low BG's long past a trial? OR Maybe these values are not considered low? OR maybe I should not think bout these things at this time?

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/3-28-elliott-otj-trial-day-6-yay.155264/#post-1638631

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are some non-diabetic cats whose BG runs even lower. Fundamentally, if your cat's numbers are lower than 50 and you're not giving insulin, there shouldn't be any danger unless there is some other medical condition that's causing the low BG. If you have lab values for Elliott from before he was diagnosed with FD, you may be able to see where his numbers would typically fall. However, many cats experience stress and therefore higher numbers during a vet visit.

3. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

Thanks for this information. No, I do not have previous BG's BUT... because his brother (Trouble) seemed to want to bother Elliott while doing BG's, we performed 2 on Trouble, that were- 50 and later on=52..And so, you are probably right. We worried "why" Trouble's BG's were so low..but he seemed fine!!! Iguess because I have read somewhere..."We like to keep the Blood glucose between 100-200"..Maybe that was written specifically when treating diabetic cats!!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some vets will tell caregivers to keep their diabetic cat's numbers in those higher than normal ranges. Most likely, it's because the caregiver doesn't home test and the vet doesn't want the cat to have a hypoglycemic episode due to the vet's dosing advice. There are any number of vets who get upset with our having our kitties in normal numbers. IMHO, advising a caregiver to have their diabetic cat's numbers above renal threshold is a superbly bad idea.

5. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

I will look up what numbers are above the renal threshold..Researching that aspect of DM effects never crossed my mind..You all are really so well educated on everything..And I thought I was so smart..(Ha..until I met all of you) Thanks!!!!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 7! Halfway there!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Furball gave me a 66 Sunday and a 64 yesterday. She's not always that low, but if you're not giving insulin, it's nothing to worry about. Unless, like Sienne said, they are acting off and it could be a health issue.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with that!! I've seen numbers anywhere from about 150 to about 270...it's another one of those ECID things...as well as EWID (every website is different!)

One of my civvies is almost always under 50 when I check him...one day he was at 38!! I had to resist the urge to grab the syrup!

Congrats on day 7!! Half way to the promised land!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Again congrats on this for Elliott!!

9. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

O MY..Look at those kitties DANCE!!!!

sarahtee and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yeah Elliot, almost there! Love the dancing kitties.

11. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Happy day 7 ! Halfway there. You can do it Elliot!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Way to show us how it's done!:D

13. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Keep rockin' it, Elliott!

I visited my parents for Easter, never realized how much their Elliott looks like yours! His sister's name is Tess. I didn't see her on this visit. 20160327_145805.jpg
    Pimp's brother, who is not diabetic, usually tests in the 40's or low 50's on our ReliOn meter.

It's different for every cat. You could use urine/glucose test strips to compare what BG's cause glucose dumping, but I don't think you're going to have that opportunity with Elliott....:D:D

14. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Lookin' good, Elliott! Past the half-way point!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

wohoooo lucky 7!!! keep it coming....

16. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Trouble's blood sugar is great. Don't worry about it. And Elliott is also doing great - your house is batting 100%!!!

Congrats on making it halfway, little Elliott. Keep it up! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Congratulations on being halfway through! Should be party coming soon... (anti jinx!)

18. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

19. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

Your Elliott looks exactly like Elliott and his identical twin, Trouble. Some cats look like them from a distance but they have a different face on many of them. They are strange faces that I did not see years ago ...I'll bet there is a name for those faces. I would not claim the faces look humanish...but do make me look a few times....Idon't know if my cats have a breed. The DVM assessed that both have Siamese that are very "Yappy " and part of the cat that has extra skin underneath that allows them to run real fast....My cats barely ever meow and the skin that allows them to run fast seems to decrease a lot when Elliott lost 5 lbs...Fat !!

20. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

Where is the party page? That should be fun!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.