3/29 Logan AMPS 369, PMPS 312

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Last Post (Sat):
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10358

Logan did not have a good weekend. He hasn't eaten very well, at all. Yesterday, he barely ate anything and tried to vomit at PMPS but nothing ever came up. He also had some liquipoo over the weekend. He started getting fussy about eating on Friday night so we gave him the stimulant. He started the Leukeran on Sat morning. I think he's having an IBD flare up (his numbers are also up) and the leukeran on top of that made him super nauseous. His AMPS yesterday was 350 and his PMPS was 327. We didn't do any spot checks since he was feeling so awful already.

His internist is out of the office until tomorrow so I've put in a call to his regular vet about getting something else for the nausea. I've been giving him the metoclopramide but it doesn't seem strong enough. It did help him a little last night. I laid on the kitchen floor with him for well over an hour last night. It finally kicked in and he was able to fall alseep on his blanket. It looked like he was feeling better. He finally tucked his head under his body - a sure sign he's feeling better and is relaxed.

All I can get him to eat right now is dry core with baby food mixed in. He needs the calories, though. Hopefully, he has a better day today and is feeling better tonight. He's due for the appy stimulant tonight.

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/29 Logan AMPS 369

((Kelly)) I missed you yesterday and was concerned...my hopes are with yours that Logan will feel better and begin to eat with more enthusiasm.....poor lil guy....HUGS to you both! :YMHUG:

3. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

((((((((((kellly)))))))))) ((((((((((Logan))))))))))))

I only have a moment before running out the door....

You want to ask for ondansetron (for nausea). Pills are more expensive than injectible. Injectible - like you would for insulin may sting, but its better than nothing. Latte tolerates it better as time has gone on.

You also want to ask for cerenia. See if they will give you pre filled syringes for three days. If not, I would recommend going in and paying for them to do the stupid shot (frustrates me when I have to pay 20 bucks for something I am capable of doing). With IBD, there may be less ability to absorb and logan NEEDS to keep food down right now. A shot will probaby have better absorption than a pill. Get a good start with the shot and then go with pills if you cannot get pre filled syringes.

If Logan is vomiting, not eating or drinking well, has liquid poo...you may want to have them look at his hydration. If he becomes dehydrated, he will only feel worse. You may need to consider sub q fluids at home for a short while. If you do this, the ondansetron can be given via injection port in the sub q's (then you dont get that sting).

The leukeran is probably a big cause of the problems you are experiencing this weekend. It very well may pass. But it may take a while. So you need tools, like the cerenia and ondansetron. Most using leukeran on their cats use these. You may also want to consider a different protocol of the leukeran instead of the e/o day. Again, the yahoo lymphoma group can give you those protocols and discuss the pro's/con's.

I gotta run. Big hugs to both of you. It will be okay. Its just going to take some time.
    I will check in on you two later this afternoon!

Try and have a good day.

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly, We hope that Logan will feel better soon. Sounds like you got lots of good advice. Have a comfortable day! Stu says to tell you that he will cook something special for Logan to eat at tomorrow night's full-moon party.

Ella & Stu

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Kelly))
    Oh I hate hearing that Logan did not have a great weekend.
    Hugs to both of you guys.
    Just to let ou know that in case he is feeling up to it and
    wih your permission, Nax has plans to excort him to the moon party
    tomorrow over at Shadow's and Raja's
    You know how Max hovers over him and Raja is eagerly waiting as well.

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing well. I agree with Carolyn's comments. (((Logan))).

7. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that Logan isn't feeling so well. I hope this phase passes soon and he starts to feel better. Poor baby...poor you!

(((((Kelly, Logan)))))

8. Kelly & Logan

Re: 3/29 Logan AMPS 369, +6 349

Logan didn't eat much at lunch time. DH2B finally got him to eat some Whiskas - about 3/4 of a pouch. He also ate part of a tuna/chicken FF appetizer. He wouldn't even eat the dry this afternoon.

His regular vet is giving me some cerenia - that's all she had at her office. I'll see how that works tonight and will call his internist tomorrow to see if she has any other meds we can try. Dr D said they should have a lot more options drug-wise since they're a specialty vet's office and will most likely keep more drugs on hand. Dr D said I could bring Logan in, but I could also just give him the injections myself. So, I'm picking up some pre-filled syringes tonight. I don't want to take him in if I don't have to. He's been drinking a fair amount of water and doesn't seem to be dehydrated. I think he's definitely having a flare up since this started Friday night before the Leukeran. I do think the Leukeran is making things worse right now.

Have I mentioned that IBD SUCKS?! I'm so frustrated and so tired of seeing him feel like crap. Is this ever going to get better or is he always going to feel this bad?!

Sorry, I'm not having a good day!

9. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots on your plate Kelly but I know these kitties read their condos.
    I think it's a great idea to remind him of the party and what a great time he had
    the last time.
    I hear if he does not show up, Raja is going to come looking for him.
    Stu will be preparing another surprise too.
    Max is also planning on getting Oliver so Logan will meet him.
    I know he loves seeing the girls lined up for him and all the boys want to
    chum around.
    Paws crossed he will be up for it.
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

10. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Oh Kelly,
    I know this is so hard. I wish I could come over and give you a big ol hug! Thing is, Logan is relatively young. There is so much hope you will find the right combo of treatments and Logan will have more better days than not, for the rest of his life. In the meantime, you are right...it sux big time!

The cerenia is great. Glad you are getting some. It is only 1 time a day...3 days on, 3 days off. You will need something for those days off - like ondansetron. Possibly in addition to the cerenia as well.

You can call your vet and ask them to write you a script for the injectibel. Im on my phon, at work so I do not have it on front of me. If you look at thrivingpets.com and search for iit on their website you will see what you need the vet to write the script for. You should then be able to fill the script at walmart or costco. It will be much cheaper to do it this way. Most likely you will need some .5ml syringe/needles for the injection.

Hang in there! We are all rootin' for Logan.

11. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

When Bear and teddy get into the really bad IBD flares, my vet has me treat with injectable Dexamethasone. It's a big gun steroid, and I know you have concerns about the steroids, BG's and how he tolerates the steroids. It has always worked for us with the very bad episodes. Also, do you have anything for pain around? There can be some pain and cramping involved with IBD flareups. It totally sucks! I'm so sorry he is going through this.

12. Kelly & Logan

He came down a bit for PMPS. I gave him the cerenia and the mirtz tonight. He still won't eat his normal foods. He ate a FF appetizer, a whiskas pouch, and some dry core/baby food. He ate about 1/2 can of FF, but it took a few hours to get it down. I think he's feeling a little better, but he's associating the bad feeling with the FF now. No idea what I'll feed him now! We've been through so many foods with him.

I'll talk to his internist tomorrow about other meds for the nausea and maybe some pain meds, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.