3/29 - Nova - AMPS=148, PMPS=108, +2=151

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dawn & Nova, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

yesterday's condo

Well last night was an interesting adventure.. it went like this:
    PMPS=83,+1=76,+2=56,+2.5=52,+3=49,+3.5=52,+4=56,+5=70 (sleeeep! :) ).

With a LOT of feeding (teeeeeny bit of corn syrup, MC, and mostly LC).. pretty sure she would have hit <40 without me intervening..

So the big question is.. skinny 1U or 0.75.. I was figuring skiinny 1U.. which best I can figure is half way between what I've been giving as 1U and 0.75..

The only thing that has me puzzled.. is I have left out food every night since this adventure began many moons ago.. and not once, not one single time has Nova woken up earlier then me.. but this morning I woke up in a haze at about PM+11 and she was eating, crunchy old food no less.. by the time it sunk in my brain (probably +11.25) she was still (or again) munching away.. so I grabbed an 11.5 and she was pretty "high".. 144.. but I don't know how much of that is food.. she's really not a morning cat.. and I can't figure out what would get her up so early and get her eating dried out nasty food..

I would be surprised if she wasn't "dropping" by AMPS.. but I'm guessing I ignore that and shoot anyways since I know where it came from..

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Re: 3/29 - Nova - +11.5=144

The change in her eating habit this morning has me thinking she does need a shave, they are very smart about feeding themselves to bring a number up. You may want to shoot through this cycle with 1u if she is still above BG144. Think I'll stick around and see what your ps is.

Someday I'd like to compile spreadsheets with cats who had a dental. I'd like to see how long after a dental did it took numbers to start to improve, or not.

3. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/29 - Nova - AMPS=148

Well AMPS was the same as 11.5.. I was upstairs with the s1.00U needle prepped.. I looked at the meter, looked at the needle and looked at Nova.. and aaaaalmost came back downstairs to top it off to 1U..

Fed her so freaking much last night I'm not surprised she's blue this morning.. her poor pancreas.. and I'm not surprised it's taking a teeny lil break this morning and I was so tempted to give 1U to help her through the AM.. but stuck with the skinny... and read your post afterwords...blah.

Kinda wishing that this morning I DIDN'T know how much difference a teeny tiny drop in her makes.. ah well.. I'm sure I'll have some fantastically wonderful hindsight later.

4. D and Noisy

You did good. :D

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

What D said. :D

6. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

We all have to learn somehow! Don't second guess yourself to hard, it's not a pretty path I promise nailbite_smile I'm trying to quit doing that myself.

I wonder if those tiny drops make a difference in bigger doses too or if it's only once you get down to these itsy bitsy doses that it makes such a big difference? I'm pretty sure we weren't all that perfect in those first few months, if it looked like it was there "close enough" I shot. Now I'm wondering if that might not have been yet another contributing factor to the number fluctuations etc we had in those early months. If that wee drop does matter at bigger doses, that's just another thing for me to add to the letter to the vet to be sure he tells people.

I hope you have a great day and stay green!

7. Dawn & Nova

I am trying to be slightly less neurotic about it all.. currently working on trying not to 75th-guess myself.. baby steps ;).

8. D and Noisy

If there was one (agonizing) thing I could remove from my FD journey with Noise it would be to stop 2-75th guessing myself.

9. Marvie and Tugger

Heheh ok well now I really don't feel bad. Some days or nights I sit there with the syringe in one hand, the vial in the other, the computer in front of me while asking myself "Should I post first? Do I know enough to handle it? What if I get it wrong again?" sorts of questions. Everyone has been so encouraging here though =) It's more than awesome to have this support and backup. I get a little braver every day I think. I'm learning to trust my instincts more, but I still find myself asking before I for for it a lot of the time. I guess we all go through it. Think about how easy it got to poke Nova's ears or give her shot after some practice. The more practice you get in different situations, the easier it will become until it's just routine. I learn a lot from reading other people's condos. I have files open in the background so I can copy/paste information I don't want to loose when I see something interesting or educational. I feel better having notes. Then if the internet is down, I have something to fall back on. It helps a little bit anyway.

10. Dawn & Nova

Ah over-compensating.. gotta love it.. None of us were born understanding FD.. (though some days I wonder about some of you ;) ).. and certainly not familiar with FD+Nova.. or FD+Tugger or FD+Noisy.. etc..

I'm relatively confident that I've got plenty of company.. when I look back at how I started this journey and think I'M SUCH AN IDIOT.. I screwed up my cat so bad!!.. Ok.. I'll make up for it.. I'll be freaking PERFECT.

The brain knows that it's all part of the process.. the heart has it's own ideas :).

11. Marvie and Tugger

Re: 3/29 - Nova - AMPS=148, +2=158

Well, heck, at least we're in good company right? I guess we can just yank on each others reins once in a while :lol: Nova has very pretty numbers today. Is she getting ready for the party tomorrow?

12. Dawn & Nova

She's snoozing.. she's pretty worn out from last night and her STRANGE crazy this morning..

Her ears .. the last couple days.. been having problems.. lots of ouchies.. I always use polysporin.. but for some reason the last couple days just not doing well.. she's got such a TINY area on each ear that I can get blood from.. but she's developed little bumps (callouses I assume) in those spots.. so now it's just a total gong show..

Anyways.. she's worried the boys at the party will see her ouchies and she won't get any action :(. I've told her she's so pretty even if you could see the ouchies (which its tough to find with the black fur).. no boy would care bout some tiny bruises..

13. Marvie and Tugger

You should tell her the boys probably have the same bruises and bumps, it might make her feel better. Tugger has dark ears too so sometimes it's hard to find the spot I poked to try to milk it or it just won't give enough blood so we have to try again. He understands tender ears. Have you tried the neosporin with pain relief? Tugger seems happier since I've been using it. He even let me massage his whole ear flap today so maybe he's not as tender as he was in the earlier days, or else he's just getting used to it.

14. Dawn & Nova

Re: 3/29 - Nova - AMPS=148, +2=158, +5=49

I think Nova read her condo.. both last night (diet?? I KNOW HOW TO STOP A DIET!!).. and today.. she was very weirdly hyper as heck when I got up this morning.. and then she had a nap..

Now she's a total loony again.. I think it's all the talk of the party.. her and I just played upstairs.. then she teased her brother for a little bit.. doesn't matter how fat she gets.. she can easily outrun a CH cat haha..

Anyways.. with all her ear ouchies.. and her pretty safe PS/+2 numbers.. I let her ears have a break.. but she played so crazy .. that I looked at her.. "you're low aren't you..".. she meowed.. we tested.. 49 at +5.. what a goof ball..

Edit:
    Yeah I use the kids polysporin.. because it has the relatively instant ouchies be gone in it.. she likes it.. likes it as in.. we don't outright fight when I put it on but she does swear at me :) .. (she HATES her ears touched.. always has.. scratching the base is fine.. touching the ears is a no no.. she's such a diabetic dream :) )

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Dawn
    You are amazing!!
    We all second guess ourselves, 75nd guess and think boy did I mess up my baby.
    Well at least that's how I felt about Max.
    I ignored all of Max's signs, the biggy was peeing outside the litter box.
    I believed it was bullying going on with one of his sisters so I just gave up.
    Then of course we got up to 6u with no end in sight.
    All my vets told me I was a nutcase in what I was doing.
    Now, 4 months later, Max has about 3 drops (not 3 u) in him and showing normal
    numbers.
    I feel we were lucky but total devotion and hard work has paid off.

You can tell Nova that Max thinks she is a hottie, ear ouchies or not.
    It's a sign of being a part of the "club" they belong to. :D
    He can't wait to see his fellow Canadian at tomorrow's party.

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Nova, I have an "ouchie" too. Your face is beautiful, what do a few ouchies matter! See you at the party tomorrow!

Stu

17. Marvie and Tugger

Tugger gets frisky and hyper when he's riding the low 50's and high 40's too. I wonder what it feels like to them? Because when my blood sugar gets low I get dizzy and headachy and grumpy. The last thing I want to do is race around chasing a kitten or a feather.

18. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

You posted this in Shadow's condo:
    "Freeze dried treats.. most expensive part of FD.. any time I get Nova's diabetes kit.. everyone comes out of the woodwork.. Hitch starts meowing at me.. "my diebeeteez is low too mommy!".. this morning.. I could have cried.. I tossed the empty bag out in the garbage in the bathroom upstairs.. later on Hitch comes trotting down the stairs, the empty bag in his mouth (he carries things in his mouth a lot).. runs over to me.. drops it on the floor and meows at me (I'm not making this up.. I swear.. I went for the camera but was too slow)..

So what's a mommy supposed to do about cute like THAT? I did the only thing I could.. big round of treats all around.. man I need to go to petsmart again!"

That was just so precious....so cute....thank you so much for sharing that Dawn. I love it! :lol:

19. Dawn & Nova

Oh no.. I've created a monster.. My rewarding his uber cute earlier.. he sure is smart.. sure enough.. there was ANOTHER empty cookie bag in the garbage up there..and he trotted down with it in his mouth.. by the time I noticed he was really close to me.. so I got my camera and took a really quick picture but it's crazy fuzzy.. put the treat bags back up in the bin.. and eventually got a slightly less fuzzy picture..

Attached Files:

20. Marvie and Tugger

Oh that is just too awesome!

21. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

That picture of Hitch is adorable! :) They do have us trained, don't they? ;)

Buzz tells Nova not to worry about her spots. No one will notice, and even if they do, they won't care. Buzz is a little self-conscious about her ears, so maybe she and Nova could hang close at the party. Blackie will be with her, too, so there's safety in numbers, she says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.