3/29 Smokey AMPS96 PMPS99 +4 71 OTJ trial starts tomorrow :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melanie and Smokey, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I was thinking that tomorrow would be our 7th day, but it looks like today is. Do we look ready for trial? I was thinking I should drop the spreadsheet off at the vets this morning and get her on board with starting trial in the morning. What say all ye?

We've noticed the pattern of blues comes after a day where they go longer periods without food. We leave some out, but with 3 cats and 9 hours, its doubtful she's getting enough to eat towards the end of the cycle. So we've started waking up during the night to give them a snak and are looking at timed feeders for the day. We are also within 3 weeks of me not needing to be at work so much.

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Re: 3/29 Smokey 96 0.0F- 14th cycle are we ready?

I would say it's worth a try! The "blues" you are talking about are barely blue (under 120) so I would think a trail would be plausible. You know how it works right? Measure your AM and PM shot times but don't shoot any insulin. If you measure green SMILE and have a good day/night :mrgreen: If you get a blue or higher don't panic just feed like normal and go about your buisiness then test again after a few hours to see if it returns on it's own to green. After 2 weeks we have a party!

3. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear what the word is.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

While I think it's likely, I'd encourage you to wait until some of the very experienced members here (e.g., Libby, D, , CD, Jill if she's around) have a look at Smokey's SS.

5. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

hey Mel-

We're watching you..!!! are you leading the way???

Anxious to see what you decide.

PS: All ye come visit us too! May be a busy week.

behind/beside you all the way,

b&H

6. D and Noisy

I'm curious why test at the old AM PM shot time? I've been away so I may have missed this. If there is no insulin on board it wouldn't matter when you tested during the day -- just need to test a few times. To me the important thing would be to note, in post and spreadsheet, all feedings.

7. D and Noisy

My vote would be give it a go and be ready to assist if necessary. What meter do you use? I ask cause some run higher/lower at double digits.

8. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Good question D? That's just how we have always done it. I guess the orginal thought was because that's the usually the time when the cat is "fasting" or hasn't recently eaten something, and perhaps in the event you measured something high and wanted shoot insulin it would be "on schedule"? In addition it's a time when most people are in the routine already so it's convienent. The idea is you are measuring a "without food" BG at shot time if it's green then your ok. If it's higher you then feed the cat which in most cases if the pancreas is healed and is working the food will stimulate the release of insulin and lower the BG, so when you measure a few hours later you can see that the cat was able to "correct" the higher BG and return to a green number on his own.

I suppose you certainly could test at any time, and it certainly doesn't have to be exactly at your old AMPS etc.

9. D and Noisy

Sort of takes some of the fun out -- having to stay at the old schedule.
    I mentioned in my previous post, you need to record ALL FOOD DATA. If it were me, I'd test whenever and then do periodic pancreas test -- get a BG test, then feed, and BG test again 3-4 hrs later -- doesn't matter what time of day you do that in (IMHO).
    Small frequent meals are better than big ones.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Thanks everyone.

Our meter is the Accuchek Aviva. We checked against the vets and their's said 61 when ours said 54. Not much of a sampling, but does give a bit of information. To me it says our meter runs a little bit on the higher side of most human meters.

With 3 cats used to breakfast and supper at a certain time, I don't think we'd be adjusting too much, though they'd love breakfast much earlier :twisted: . We do two main meals at PS time (two 3oz cans or one 5.5 split between the 3) then at least 2 snaks of one 3oz can split between the 3. We are finding that three to four of the snaks keep her flatter so when schedule permits (or Peanut whines loud enough at night) they get extra. They usually have some left from breakfast that they snak on through the day to.

Yup Betty, Smokey's thinks she ready to test the waters. She figures Hank will be right behind her.

11. D and Noisy

Cool cause that is the exact meter I have experience with .
    When I switched to the Accucheck Noisy's numbers ran higher but were fine, we had been using the TrueTrak.
    Anyway, since it isn't a True Track, which can run lower, I'd say you are in good shape. Might want to get some more blessings though. :D

12. bettyandhank

Ok Mel-

I've got every possible thing crossed for you. We won't be long. Love that you have a vet you can communicate with about this.
    do you love this is happening at tax time?

Want to keep up with all your steps...please keep updating.

b&H

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I say go for it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Congratulations and good luck!

14. Melanie and Smokey

Vet says the plan looks good so we go OJT in the morning :mrgreen: nailbite_smile

The plan I wrote up and dropped off along with the spreadsheet said for 2 weeks we'd continue to test with the AM and PM meals. If she shows blue, I will test again somewhere between +1 and +3 at to see if she brings it back down on her own. Over 200 we rethink the trial. If all goes well, after that 1-3 spot checks a month just to stay on top of things.

Now that I've put that in writing she'll go off on some wild run.

15. bettyandhank

Re: 3/29 Smokey 96 OTJ trial starts tomorrow :)

Nah....it's gonna be great. We're all rooting for you.
    Game on.

16. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Whooo hooo OTJ trial tomorrow. How exciting! I love this!

17. D and Noisy

Happy Day One Eve.

18. Melanie and Smokey

Re: 3/29 Smokey AMPS 96 PMPS 99 OTJ trial starts tomorrow :)

Little turkey decided she wasn't hungry tonite, got hubby worried 'cause she refused to eat after the shot. We test-shoot-feed so the shot was already in. I have an almost perfect angel for testing now and shots are a breeze..as long as we get our business done before the food comes out.

I said the number is good there shouldn't be a proplem and re-test in a half hour if she just doesn't eat at all, +1 if she at least takes a couple bites. If she's dropping a lot, pull out a 8-10.

No HC gravy food the night before gum day #1 little girl :YMSIGH:

She came back and ate, then went about stalking her little sis and yodeling and playing in the shower so the big softy let go without testing. I will test when I get home just to make sure we aren't going into tomorrow on a weird bounce.

19. bettyandhank

Re: 3/29 Smokey AMPS 96 PMPS 99 OTJ trial starts tomorrow :)

I see you there...you've been on alot today. Is your adrenalin going? So exciting!!!!! Does Smokey even know what's coming??

We had a bad shot deal tonight. I hope he's ok. He threw me an awfully low number to be this tired and wanting to go to bed.

It's like Christmas EVe for ya'll.... Gum Day Eve.

Go Smokey, Go Smokey.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.