3/30 Kitty OTJ Trial Day 6(11) AMBG 70 PMBG 65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by worldtraveller, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Another beautiful start for the day: AMBG 70

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67406

As I am getting quite hopeful that this is going to the right direction, I dare to ask some questions about OTJ life:
    - does someone have statistics how many remissions fail, i.e. a cat needing insulin again later?
    - I suppose dry food is "no-no" for the rest of Kitty's life?
    - tips for canned food feeding when travelling... When Kitty was getting insulin, the pet sitter naturally visited twice a day and gave food in the morning and evening. When OTJ, the pet sitter visit need is just once a day. Do others leave out the whole day's food out at once, will the wet food stay ok on the plate for 24 hours? My cats have been free fed all the time, so they know how to pace their eating :)

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

- mia

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 Kitty OTJ Trial Day 6(12) AMBG 70 Questions

getting hopeful, eh? :lol: i'd be making the banner to hang out of my car for driving around town by now!

no dry food ever. Kitty is still diabetic, he's just diet controlled right now. you'll want to continue testing him once a week for some time, then once a month for the rest of his life. if he gets sick or develops an infection, it's possible (likely maybe? i'm not sure) that he will come out of remission.

he needs small frequent meals of low carb canned food for the rest of his life. and may it be very, very long, sweet little Kitty! cat_pet_icon

i don't know how long the canned food could be safely left out. you might look and see if you can find a timed feeder that will chill the food.

congratulations on another day down in the count!!!!

3. Tonya and Tiki

Tonya and Tiki Well-Known Member

I understand your hesitation in being hopeful...I don't dare be too hopeful for fear it will jinx things. And did I mention the guilt I feel that my kitty is doing so well when there are so many routing me on that aren't so lucky??? :YMSIGH:

Moscow, REALLY???

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Pssssst, Mia.... it looks like we will be having your OTJ party on the later date... I'm going to use today as day 6 instead of day 12.
    Dat's 'cuz I dun have no photos :shock: of Kitty.

I guess I could use dis here kitty in your party video - but I'd rather see YOUR kitty. LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

Let me know if you are having trouble sending to my email.
    -CD

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 Kitty OTJ Trial Day 6(11) AMBG 70 Questions

Hi guys .. you should take julie's advice and make a banner :lol: (and getting photos to CD!) Mocha is OTJ now for just over a year and we still test her .. you can check her SS for how often .. it's not everyday and not every week either, but I try to do it once or twice a month.

Soon after mocha went OTJ we had to go away for the weekend and unfortunately, mocha developed bacteria infections in BOTH ears nailbite_smile We had to use drops in her ears but thank goodness, no high numbers *whew*

OT, tonya, don't feel guilty, we love seeing kitties doing so well!

6. worldtraveller

worldtraveller Member

Day 6(11) a success: PMBG 65! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

7. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

Fantastic, yes, don't feel guilty, I just love to see kitties OTJ! I won't congratulate you yet, so not to jinx it, but really wonderful to see!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: dancing_cat

8. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Binks is the quintessential "FD Cautionary Tale"-
    his little 2 month return to insulin was ENTIRELY due to talking his "sitter" into giving him canned HC food and kibble. :sad:

CONGRATS ON DAY SIX, GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

keep up the good work!!!!!!!

celi & binks

[​IMG]

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 6 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Day 6 Kitty!

Hi Mia,
    Some beans freeze "pucks" of canned food (mix in some water) and leave them out in the dishes to defrost over the course of the day. The Cat Mate C-20 two-compartment feeder comes with a cold block that fits under the trays. How many cats do you have? You might need more than one feeder. You don't have to set the timers if your cats are used to grazing. In fact, Rusty uses his feeder as a tray and eats all of his food from it. I only set the timers when we are gone for the day. Here's a link to the Cat Mate on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ani-Mate-Inc-C20-Feeder/dp/B0013IX9YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333154969&sr=8-1

Looking forward to Kitty's OTJ party!

Ella & Rusty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.