3/30 Mr Barney got the shakes again +10 (139)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mr Barney, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

saw leg shaking as if cold or weak etc... this is what I thought the neuropthy was???
    not caused by low number

also this is what happens all the time a slight , slight decrease and the numbers jump???

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Please Please please take your cat to a vet-Moonie has neuropathy, but I never saw her legs shaking--It could be severe srthritis, injury, neurological, but we cannot diagnose this here! You need a trained veterinarian to take a look at this cat!!
    Please Please GO!!! I only have your cat's welfare in mind!

3. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Thanks for your concern,,
    He was just there 2 months ago,, Mr Barney gets COMPLETE blood work CBC etc every 4 mo... They dont know what it is they thought nerve issues related to diabetes which is why I was wondering dose , brand etc for Methy B-12.. to see if that works...... its a shake in is legs but he jumps and shows no weakness what so ever it is not life threatening no worries...

What dose Methyl do you give your cat? and does the Methyl B-12 pill have any folic acid in it??

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

neuropathy typically shows up in the rear legs (sometimes front) and the legs aren't shaking, rather it looks like the cat is walking flat footed - or on it's knees.

I am wondering if what you are describing is something other than neuropathy. Are there any other symptoms that you can see? How long does it last?

It's possible it could have something to do with the insulin - BG going too low, I see you've had a series of low BG's under 40 and honestly this could be what you are seeing, hypo shock - the BG's are dropping to low and the cat is reacting.

To answer your question about what methyl B12 to get - I used and recommend this one:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Vitamin-B-1 ... lcobalamin

I liked it cause it doesn't contain any sugars, easy to empty and mix into food. I mixed 1 capsule once a day into food.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hillary got me the best methyl B12 on the site she sent you to!!
    I had been using something else, but Moonie would always eat it, as it was cherry flavor--
    The one Hillary gave you just now is the best!
    It takes a while for it to work, but these are 5 mg & are really good!!--Make sure it's the NSI methylcobalamin..unflavored=5mg!!
    ingredients:gelatin, methylcobalamin, rice flour, magnesium streate--Believe me it wont hurt the cat-only help

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Ray

Your first Lantus forum thread,
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10459&p=103047#p103047
    you mentioned you feed beef.
    And in your spreadsheet, you mentioned he ate salmon last nite. Do you always feed beef and/or some fish flavours?
    What brands do you feed?

Did you know that some kitties have beef and fish allergens?

Because my kitty, Luna does.
    And shaking back leg(s), shaky paw(s) was always there anytime he ate a beef flavour or fish.
    Among other symptons he showed were, these little tiny black spots in his chin, plus some execessive licking of the fur on his sides,
    kinda like itchy/scratchy things.
    Some other things were - a few minutes of "crazies" like he had a bee hive up his butt, you know? :lol:

Do you use plastic bowls/plates? That too irritated my cat, the plastic gave him the "pimple" thing, so now we use clear glass, like Pyrex ware and feed strictly chicken and turkey flavours, some human tuna as a treat (and no shaky leg after! No reaction to people fish.)

I am curious because you have mentioned that Mr Barney does the shaky leg even in higher numbers, there is no sign of neuropathy that you can see nor does it sound like it.

So anyway, thought I'd give you some input, it sure does sound very similar to what I saw with Luna.

Anyway, nice to meet you Ray and Mr Barney!

7. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Thank You excellent good Info,,

I have taken him to 3 vets of course his leg never shakes there, and they all have said nerve issues related to diabetes so i thoght b-12...
    He has just started taking hypericum and iris versacolor homeopathic so we will see the results there...

Let me ask you a question.. Since he does print low at times would he have a reaction like that when his numbers are higher? he typically doesn't shake when he is low ever no signs of hypo except a bit hungry at times but nothing extreme..

went through a bit of this with Jill and Alex a while back Mr Barney goes low and stays there.. hopefully he can take a bit of a doseage decrease but I have tried it many times before..

8. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

RE: ronnie and luna

He has always been on FF tender beef feast no commercial fish foods only a couple tablespoons of Alaskan Salmon a couple times a week but i havnt noticed the shaking coinciding with that HHMMM will watch in the future..

Thanks for your help I am not sure about the shaking thing he always had it intermittent dunno...

One step at a time will keep plugging away for now hell get a sliver less lantus and hope his numbers dont skyrocket..

thank you for your input

9. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

The shaking I saw was always after eating, and here and there in between thru the day. It was never in relation to the current BG numbers, although I would test and see what it was - cuz I'm freaking out - why is he doing that? Is he hypo? High or low, didn't matter, in our case. Eventually, narrowed it down to the food.

Check him out next time he eats, see what he does, especially if there is beef or fish involved, and possibly wheat gluten.
    If you're feeding Fancy Feast beef - hmm, maybe could be it - BUT not all kitties have the beef reaction. I'm just suggesting it's possible.
    Mine began with FF and any other beef and fish brand.

I've never heard of a shaky back leg if numbers are low, although ECID - every cat is different, some react differently to low numbers, the "really hungry now!" is common

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

that's very interesting Ronnie.

so when luna ate beef and fish, he had that leg shaky thingy happening. interesting....I guess cats who are sensitive to these foods, have different types of allergic reactions and that's what this could be an allergic reaction.

so, it now becomes process of elimination to see if this is the cause.

oh and if you decide to get the methly b12 to try, you won't hurt the cat by giving it to him. however, before you do, lets see if this is a food / bowl allergy.

and please keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.