3/30 SCRABBLE PMPS 107 +5 103

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's condo
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10512
    Morning! Scrabble has been staying pretty consistent with his numbers lately, today is day 6 on this dose. Still concerned about his sore on his flank, I may take him into the vets this week since she said she would like to see him since he hasn't been there since his diagnosis. He has been licking it and I think it makes it worse! Other than that he is his normal happy self! Any thoughts on a dosecrease after day 7????

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 SCRABBLE AMPS 122

Good morning. I haven't told you yet, how much I like your new picture :D
    If he was my cat, I would take him to the vet, since he's licking it, it bothers him. And, it's bothering you.
    And you can take a copy of your spreadsheet with you to show the vet how well Scrabble is doing.
    Have a good day.

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Dyana, he is handsome isn't he?? Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the vet, I hate to stress him out but he is stressing me out, hahaha!!

4. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

Mornin'! Scrabble is doing so well! Nice amps =) Is today your last day off? Poor Scrabble having to go to the vet. My kitties will be sympathizing soon. The original three are due for shots in May, Bella needs to get her ear looked at and Tugger is going to have to go in soon because we will be needing a new Lantus script. I wish I had known about the cartridges before I got his first script, but I guess better late than never right? ;) Dang, looks like Boomer is the only one who doesn't need to go visit the vet in the next little while. He's not due till the fall. That's some small consolation to my checking account I guess ;)

That spot might be trying to heal up and might be itching, causing him to lick it. I have no idea, really, it's just a thought. Maybe itch it for him and see how he reacts, when I itch Tugger and it feels good he does funny things like licking/chewing the air (or a body part of you get close enough) or he'll grab my hand as I try to remove it because he wants more itches nao! If the spot isn't actually itchy, he'll try to get away from the action. If it's a bruise, it might be tender to the touch so he'd be licking it trying to make it better. I'd keep an eye on the licking since that spot is shaved. Just to make sure he doesn't lick it raw. At this point though, now that you can see it's bugging him, I'd probably go ahead and take him in.

Hope y'all have a great day!

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very nicely said! Geez.. we cater to their every want & worry about upsetting them in the slightest.. too funny, but always well worth it. Good luck at the vet & wishing you & Scrabble a wonderful day!

6. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Marvie, I did not know about the cartridges either (neither did my vet!!) so I spent $115 on my first vial of lantus. When he was first diagnosed I was like holy crap that is expensive. The cartridges are way more economical!!! I ordered mine from Canada, way cheaper too!!! I will let everyone know when I take him to the vet!!

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,
    My Vet started me on the vial, too. I don't mind the vial, as it can last 4-6 months if taken proper care. I know some here say only a month, and others say it can last longer. Are the cartridges that much cheaper. I have pet insurance, so they pay 90% of the insulin. I do have a pet insurance payment monthly.

Scrabble is looking good, You seem concerned, so I'd take him in for a check-up on the ear. I haven't been asked to bring Maggie back since diagnosed January 4. Do the Vets normally see the diabetic kitties periodically or just for annual check-ups. My Vet is not pro home testing, but once he saw how well I was doing with Maggie, he was a little better, a little....

8. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Maggie, I sent you a message in your condo too, I was wondering myself if others know about how often the vet should see them once they are diagnosed? My vet wants to do a fructosamine test when I come in but I am going to tell her no since I think it is unnecessary since I hometest. I think she is used to that being the "protocol" when cats have diabetes to do that test. She does not have any other cats that hometest, I am her first (which is absolutely amazing to me!!) Damn Scrabble keeps licking his sore, damn him! Wish you could put a band aid on a cat!

9. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning Michelle and Scrabble.
    To answer your dosecrease question....hmm. First I would say do not rush your decreases because you do not want to lose momentum and Scrabble has been doing so well.
    You have had a lot of green and generally dosecreases are done when there is a number below 50 for newly diagnosed or you have 7 days of green including your ps's. There are always exceptions to these rules and sometimes the ps numbers can be higher when there is too much insulin.

See what other's think about this. I am sure Libby and Jill will give you more input....and Sienne usually comes on about now.

10. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Miriam, I would love to here what the others say about decreasing too, I want to make sure I do everything right to get him otj!!! I noticed his ps #'s have creeped up a bit in the past couple of days. I am nervous about taking him to the vet since I do not know how it will effect his numbers but he has a sore on his flank that he won't stop licking so I am concerned!

11. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 SCRABBLE AMPS 122 question about dosecrease?

What i do is test them before the stress of the carrier and the drive and the vet office. then, you will be able to roughly gauge how much increase of the BGs is due to vet stress. My Raj who is OTJ since Dec was 69 at home and 2 hours later at the vet's she was 160!! I knew she elevated when under stress and that trip is soooo stressful for her. She is a nervous wreck and I worry about her having a heart attack when going through that whole routine. Ugh! I hate it.

BUT, you have to put Scrabble through this is you want to find out about the spot on his flank. Is it open or is it a closed bump? Open wounds can get itchy when they are healing. If it closed, it might be infected underneath and have to be lanced (is that logical?) I don't know. But, it is good to have an in person evaluation of it. Something is going on cause he is focused on it...and so are you. Go as soon as you can and get it over with.....

One thing though...try to avoid any salves with cortisones...the vet should realize that he is diabetic and that he will lick it off so see if you can get away with something else.

You are doing a great job...and so is Scarbble!! :mrgreen:

12. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that his numbers may be creeping up a bit if there is an infection so don't worry about a higher bg when going to the vet it is only temporary.
    If he is licking the bump it may be causing him a little pain or itching so it is best to take him to the vet.

13. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Michelle, I'd also vote for a visit to the vet at this point for the bump/sore. If he's licking it, it's bugging him maybe as much as it is bugging you.

As for the dosecrease...I can't say anything. Max's numbers are dropping crazy fast, and he's scaring me a bit--I'm really at a loss as to what to do with his dosing. I went for a low low dose today to see if maybe that'll help decrease the shed and slow him down some. I do want him OTJ, but I don't want it to all happen in a week! My theory, tho, is that you can always try a dosecrease, and if his numbers start rising, you can go back up to the previous dose...but I know some who have been at this longer with a lot more experience than I have will argue with that. You're his bean--go with your gut.

14. Marvie and Tugger

This is something I've been curious about too. Tugger hasn't been back since his diagnosis either. Not a phone call to check on him, nothing. Not since I declined when they wanted to keep him all day to do a curve. After everything Tugger has gone through in his life, vet visits scare the p!ss out of him. Literally. I try not to have to put him through it any more than absolutely necessary. Which is why I haven't pushed the issue, because I really try to avoid taking him unless something is wrong or it's time for shot updates. I have wondered how much communication should be going on between the me and the vet. It sounds like other people are in very regular contact with their vets about their diabetic kitties, are they initiating or is the vet or what?

One reason I use this vet is that they have a mobile vet and ambulance. If something happens to Boomer and I can't move him by myself, they'll come get him or treat him at home. So if I really needed to, I could have them come here to treat Tugger. I'd pay through the nose probably, but it's an option I have available.

I'm very much considering a change of vet for regular maintenance of all these critters though. I understand that the one I use now has to pay for that pet ambulance and all the fancy pants stuff they offer but I really need to find someone who is less expensive. We've got several health issues going on around here that require regular maintenance, so I've got to find a way to make it financially feasible. I also want to be armed with knowledge and not be so passive. So I'm totally watching this topic to see what answers you get!

15. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Just curious what the deal is with salves with cortisones, is that bad for a diabetic kitty? I am worried that they may have to put a cone on him so he won't lick it. The wound is beneath the skin (like a blood bruise) but he has opened it by licking it. The bad part is I am the one that caused him to have the wound so I feel sooooo guilty!!!! I will definetely get a bg before I go to see how much going effects him. I am going to try and see if I can get him in today. Marvie, my vet has been pretty good about calling me to see how he is doing. I have dropped off a ss to her once a week so she can see his progress. She seems generally concerned for his case which I like. This is my second vet in this whole diabetes process, my first vet was an absolute jerk!

16. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Michelle, first, Scrabble looks so so gorgeous in his box!! He's so beautiful!
    Second, I was told that my cats should be seen every 6 mths, as they are older than yours, but I would go if there is a problem--
    Were you here when Moonie had that giant scab on her belly?? 2 vet visits later, we never found out what it was, but I had to keep the wound open to heal...If Scrabble's is an allergy, which is what it sounds like, they can treat it topically...Hope you find out soon & Scrabble is great again..Numbers looking sooooo great! Have a good day! :mrgreen:

17. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Marvie--I have to initiate contact with my vet. She has only two other diabetic kitties, and I don't believe they hometest. With Max's diagnosis, she did enough research to know that Lantus has a high rate for remission, and that hometesting would be a good way to go...but didn't show me how to test, and the tech was the one who showed me how to inject. She did initially want me to bring him in 2 weeks after starting the Lantus for a curve, but I talked with her last week and emailed his ss, and after chatting, she said she was fine with me keeping him at home and doing what I've been doing. I am trying to talk to her today tho because of the crazy slide Max has been on in the past week.

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Miriam is correct -- it's 7 days with numbers that are overall, less than 100. I see what you mean about the PS numbers creeping up. Hopefully, a trip to the vet to sort out if there's an infection, allergy, etc. will help.

Steroids, like cortisone, will raise BG. However, if that's what is necessary for treating a problem and there are no equivalent alternatives, insulin dosing can be worked around the steroid.

19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, I agree that you should take Scrabble to the vet to get the sore checked out. Now that you have described it, it does sound like something that needs to be addressed. Before we started home-testing in January, we used to go to the vet about once a month to have Stu's bg tested. He had been on PZI Vet for years, and the numbers never changed much, but after the switch to Lantus the numbers were wacky (undoubtedly owing to initial overdosing). We have been to the vet once since I started to home-test and began the Tilly Protocol. I brought him print-outs of the Protocol and of Stu's SS. I also gave him the read-only URL for Stu's spreadsheet so that he could look at it online whenever he wanted without having to go through the FDMB. He was supportive about the home testing. And he chuckled when my DH said that we hoped he wouldn't charge us for a consultation each time he looked at Stu's SS online! We don't intend to make another visit to the vet until the usual annual exam/shots this summer unless there is a health issue. Good luck today! Stu is looking forward to seeing Scrabble at the party.
    Ella & Stu

20. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

+4 64
    so if what you are saying about the 7 days, his overall number has been less than 100 so would we attempt a dosecrease on Thursday then? Just curious, or should I wait until after I see the vet to see if he needs any treatment. I am almost positive it is a blood bruise from when I shot him a few weeks ago and he jerked away (I think I either hit the muscle or a capillary) but the problem is he will not stop licking it, it is probably itchy or something.

21. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/30 SCRABBLE AMPS 122 +4 64 dosecrease?

Hi Michelle, I see you're on right now, so wondered if you had gone to vet.

My vet likes me to email the link to Checkers' SS. He complimented me last Sat., on our progress, so I know he looked at it.

22. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

+5 77 no Barb I have not gone to the vet yet, my hubby thinks I should wait to see if it goes away but I am probably going to take him in the next day or two. My vet is not savvy on the computer so I just drop off a physical copy to her

23. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

By the way, Michelle, I too, love the new photo of Scrabble. What a beauty!!!

24. Roni and Moonie

Moonie's Scabby thing was caused either by her dragging herself belly down across the carpeting(she loves to do that & yes could be rug burn) or I have radiant heat & the tile floors get very HOT, & she may have gotten a burn--We still dont know for sure--
    BUT if Scrabblle's is from an injection site, you should have it checked out..Poor Baby, I just hate to see wounds of any kind on my furbabies!!
    Did you try any compresses-warm water washcloth? Does it have a center?
    Best bet is still the vetty! Hope it's nothing & can be easily treated!

25. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

+9 111 Yes Roni I did try a warm compress but the problem with that is when I do it, it draws attention to the site and makes him lick it. It seemed to help with the warm compresses but then defeated the purpose! The wound does have a center. I talked to the vet this morning and she is so impressed with his progress, she can't believe how well he is doing and she wants me to bring my meter and show her how to test at his appt. I couldn't get an appt til Friday morning because she is off the next couple of days. Hopefully he will be fine until then, I just have to try and keep him from licking the area, the vet said he will probably need a cone so he does not aggravate the area. Poor baby!!!! I feel kind of defeated today because his numbers have gone up a bit (not much) but I really want to get a dosecrease after the 7 days but I do not know if this wound is going to hinder his progress. Tomorrow will be day 7 so I will ask about it again tomorrow. Just wondering if the wound is driving his bg's up a bit? Just feeling a little depressed, sorry!!!

26. Marvie and Tugger

{{{Hugs}}}

I have no answer, just hugs. Here's a silly question, but could it possibly be a spider bite? You said it is a shaved spot, which would be easy access with no fur to protect the skin. I've been seeing spiders in the house here lately, that's why I thought of it.

We've had loads of rain and it's spring, I've been killing them left and right. I live in a house of arachnophobic (spell check doesn't think this is a word) men. There is a special tone in their voices when they scream like girls for mommy to come kill the skeery spider ;)

27. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Marvie, no it is definetly not a spider bite, it is def from that day I shot him incorrectly. I blame myself and feel soooo bad. I am sure he will be fine, I just feel depressed that I could have ruined something with Scrabble. It doesn't seem to hurt him because I can touch it and it doesn't bother him. Just hoping it won't make any difference in his great progress. Thanks for the hug, I needed it, hubby thinks I have gone crazy and keeps telling me not to worry about it and says I am obsessed with the cat! LOL! I am but that is besides the point!!!

28. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll send some hugs to you too.
    And don't worry about your DH thinking you are crazy.
    I think all the DHs thin we are. :lol: :lol:

That's okay. It is why we are the mama's and they aren't.
    Scrabble is doing great and I am sure you will get some answers.
    Max is looking forward to seeing Scrabble at the party.

29. Roni and Moonie

Not to worry, if it has a center, it could be a little irritated or infected area, which would drive bg's up, but not those beautiful bg's he's having now!!!!
    Moonie licked hers a lot too..But once she got meds, it was just fine & healed pretty quickly..
    My vet said cats get skin thingys pretty easily, but heal well..

30. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 3/30 SCRABBLE PMPS 107

PMPS 107, VERY happy with this, his spot looks a little better this afternoon than yesterday. I don't think it is effecting his bg's since he has stayed very consistent since decreasing to .75, tomorrow will be day 7 on this dose. I would love to try decreasing him on Thurs morning assuming his numbers are still good. Roni the vet did tell me also that cats get skin things often too & it might just take putting an ugly cone on his head to make it go away & she also told me diabtic cats heal slower, so hopefully it will go away on it's own, if not vet on Friday! DH testing tonight because I am off to tbp!

31. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm sure the spot is nothing to worry about, hopefully it will get better on its own, if he's stop licking.

About the dose reduction, we have to let the numbers tell us what to do. If you try to plan ahead, you'll just drive yourself crazy (spoken as one who has let this dance drive her crazy on more than one occasion). You know how cats are about plans, just go along for the ride.

32. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Libby was hoping to hear from you, well we will see what he does in the next day or two!!! You are right, I am just anticipating it too much & I don't want to be dissappointed if he doesn't cooperate. Tonight he is off to the full moon party!!! Hopefully you will stop by tomorrow night and let me know what you think, thanks so much!

33. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I have bloodwork (a Total Health Plus is what they call it) done on J.D. twice a year. He is 15.
    J.D. is very good with the vet. All vets love J.D. for some reason. He is scared and crys, but he is good as gold.

My vet also had me show him how to test J.D.'s ear. I think we're his only clients that home test, too. The first time, he asked me how I tested and I showed him J.D.'s ear and said I poke him with a lancet. He didn't ask first, and all of a sudden he just poked a syringe needle into the center of J.D.'s ear, and said something like "like that?". I must have nodded and said, "well sort of", and then we each took a dip of our meters and compared numbers. The second time, he let me poke with a lancet like I normally do, and got enough of blood drop so we each could dip and compare numbers again. Each time, his glucometer and mine were very close (like maybe 10 points different). I think he thought my glucometer was going to be way off.

J.D. can't wait to meet Scrabble, tonight.

34. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

re frequency of vet visits, when first diagnosed i might bring him in in about 6 months, then once yearly for bloodwork and urinalysis. really helps if you have a baby scale to keep checking his weight at home. we tend to worry more if they continue to lose weight. i got a digiweigh baby scale at ebay for around $25 including shipping, which is a phenomenal price, and it's been very helpful to weigh all my cats about once a month.

my vet suggested a different trick for those who don't want to buy a scale: bring him in a box or sportsbag and weigh him on the postal scale at your post office (many have mailing centers so you don't have to stand in the line but can handle your own mail). if you weigh the bag first you'll know how much extra weight the cat represents. i thought that was a pretty smart trick.

i wouldn't bother with the fructosamine either. all the spreadsheet data you have should be good enough, plus most meters will show a 14-day or 30-day average BG. if you're having a urine test done they'll check for glucose in the urine anyway so the fructo is really overkill for us hometesters.

35. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 3/30 SCRABBLE PMPS 107 +5 107

I am really confused, dh just called me & his +5 is 107, same as pmps, how could this be?? I asked him to retest in an hour, I don't understand??? This is weird right?

36. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Michelle -- NOT weird, that's the beautiful Lantus curve we desire! It's just a coincidence. Scrabble is flat. That's nice!!

37. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Weird for scraable though!! Dh just did a +6 and he is 119, weird! I am wondering now if he has an infection? Vet appt is fri morning

38. Marvie and Tugger

Oh Michelle, honey you are a worrier =) It's ok, we all are! I think your little guy is just fine. I think he's testing the waters to see what it's like in the calmer part of the pool. Maybe he's tired of surfing the big waves and he's ready to chill in the shallows for a while. But whadda I know? (Besides the fact that I need more coffee and that my backspace key is getting a lot of use this morning lol)

{{Hugs}}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.