3/31 Pedro AMPS 76 No shot OTJ??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy and Pedro, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Yesterday viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10666

Wow, I am blown away here-So is Pedro OTJ? Seems like yesterday's comments are indicating "maybe". Last night after i gave him .25u he dropped to 58 at +3 and was at 67 at +4.
    Do i just do a skinny (couple of drops) .25?

Pedro doing well, howled around the house in honor of the full moom even tho he couldn't see it due to the torrential rain. He will stay on his reduced pred dose of .25mg 1x/day thru Sunday and see what vet wants to do then. I am trying to phase the cypo out - he is only on 1/4 pill 2x/day and I am going to 1x/day.

He seems to be feeling almost back to "normal"

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think the question was since you'd skipped shots due to low numbers and Pedro stayed low, you'd essentially started a trial. My only thought would be whether to reduce to less than 0.25u (like a 0.1) especially while Pedro is still on the pred. Let's see what some of the others have to say about an OTJ trial especially since you skipped this morning's shot.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Wow nice to hear things are going so well! Normally you want to to keep giving some insulin until you absolutly can't anymore. That means either after giving just 1 drop the BG drops to low (<50 usually) or the dose is so small you can't even measure it anymore (less than a drop) and the numbers are staying mostly under 100 for a week or so. The dose below .25U is often called .1U or "some insulin" or a FAT 0, it is basically just a drop. In the sticky is a picture of this, you can just barely see a hirs width of light between the plunger and the 0 line on the syringe. With such a small amount there is almost no danger of any "hypo" episodes, even when the BG drops to 50 there is little danger of it going much lower and with so little insulin just a lick of food will bring it right back up and so little insulin will not have any prolonged working. It's best to try and keep giving this dose every 12 hours for at least a week or 2 and making sure the BG stays in the green. When that happens it's time to attempt an OTJ trial (2 weeks no insulin and spot checks to make sure the numbers stay in the normal range) then it's party time! Good luck!

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Boomer is on a "Fat 0" and has been for over a month. He's still not quite there yet. I've found the best way to measure a Fat 0 is to draw up a .25 dose and then push the plunger and count the number of drops in the dose. Then do it again and leave one drop in and shoot.

5. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Thanks for the help-nice to have a plan again.
    Pedro will be so pleased that he still get shots. He is so grumpy now with his pills it's time to put on a flak jacket.

So we will start to do the .1/fat 0 and see where we go. I'll take a look at the sticky. Good thing I have that headlamp and magnifyer.

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

What happy news!!! Hope Pedro does well & is where you want him to be soon--HUGS~! Great Job!

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice going Pedro....and Amy....when you are giving him the "drop"...keep the plunger depressed as you remove the syringe. If you let the plunger go, the tiny insulin drop could get sucked up again. Try to keep the plunger depressed as you pull it out and that tiny droplet will get wiped off the needle. Does that make sense?

Good luck to you guys....nice to see you back!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.