GA 3/4 Bella AMPS 210 Now refusing all food! Has been reluctant to eat past several days. Help!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JanetMR, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...o-eat-with-lower-numbers.192020/#post-2143108

Bella has been in lower numbers since her dose increase to 1.75 units of Lantus 3/2
    This seems great on paper,..however, she’s reluctant to eat.
    Refusing cat food for the most part, all I can get in her is routisserie chicken pieces mixed with bits of 6% carb and sometimes 15% carb fancy feast.
    Hand feeding her... takes a good deal of time
    It seems like sometimes the routisserie chicken gives her loose stools.... so
    I made plain chicken breasts, which she (of course) refused.
    I’m at my wits end !
    She’s already on cerenia 1/3-1/2 tab every day for retching/ nausea

She is sleeping a lot with minimal energy. Urine ketones negative .. checking as often as I can
    I can’t keep this up!
    Advice?

As of 3pm (+9) BG 259 refusing all food. I’ve tried everything.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added the GA prefix... (((hugs)))
  2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

The numbers are getting where they need to be and Bella obviously isn't too happy about it...yet! The sleeping a lot with minimal energy is exactly what Asia went through when she was getting used to lower numbers. This part is somewhat a waiting game until her body decides this is okay.

The super frustrating part is that she doesn't want to eat well either. You are doing a great job making sure she gets something, anything, in her tummy. Hopefully she will come around really soon. :bighug:

I think Bobbie And Bubba had some trouble with Bubba in lower numbers more similar to what you described. She is on vacation, but I will tag her for you when she returns. Maybe she has some tricks to share.

She also could be dealing with hidden infection (like her teeth). I can speak first hand about that, Asia had tooth resorption and it almost killed her, she had to have several teeth extracted. It took a good many weeks of her being ill and continuing to fade until we figured out it was her teeth. @Sean & Rufus recently had a dental too, even after more than one vet said the teeth looked okay. X-rays tell a different story. Now Rufus is needing a lot less insulin. I think Rufus is also still having some eating troubles as well which may or may not be related to lower numbers, could be allergies, etc.

Would be worthwhile to pop a ? in your title and ask for others experiences with inappetence in lower numbers. The best thing about this board is the massive amount of collective wisdom, leverage that. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's eating something, and that her ketones are negative.
    I guess you've tried the FF Chunky Chicken and the FF Roasted Chicken, and the turkey varieties.
    I'm sorry things are feeling difficult for you, right now.
    Sending eat your cat food vines to Bella

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magic Johnson likes this.
  4. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Rufus was miserable in lower numbers up until about 3 days ago, so about a week and a half. Slept all day, very inappentant. I was stressed too thinking why if he's in better #'s does he seem worse. How much does Bella weigh? Again, maybe try to get some ondansteron from your vet and see if that works.

5. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

She’s 11 pounds

6. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you
    Any advice appreciated.
    Heading out to buy another chicken...:banghead:

7. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

I have tried those and many other varieties...
    My kitchen counter was littered with can after can. I tried warming it, I sprinkled it with fd chicken pieces.... you name it I tried it.
    :arghh:

8. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Yum was also miserable and inappetent on suddenly lower numbers. I let it go for a while and then it turned out she had a kidney infection.
    I don't mean to scare you, but it wouldn't hurt to get some blood work done.

9. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

She’s had recent blood work done.
    This lack of appetite has been a past problem
    for Bella. She doesn’t like lower numbers....

10. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

3pm (+9) BG 259 now she is refusing all food
    I’m at my wits end
    What should I do?

11. Sean & Rufus

How much has she eaten today? Yesterday?

12. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

She’s last ate at 12 noon (+6) about 2-3 tbs routisserie chicken ( all I could get in her) she’s had probably half of what she normal eats yesterday and today.
    Hiding under the bed/no energy
    Refusing all food this afternoon
    I don’t know what to do
    What about insulin?

13. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Some questions to try and understand the situation better:

How long since her cerenia? Maybe up that dose?
    What proportion of her "normal" helping of food has she had over the last days?

I'd say you want some insulin, because not eating + no insulin + whatever else might be going on could be a recipe for ketones.

How much of an option is getting her to the vet to get her on a drip? would that be worse than how things are going now? (depends on how she copes with the vet and how the vet is)

When was the blood work done? Before the appetite problems showed up?

Is she overweight, underweight, or ok-weight?

14. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Do we know where the nausea is coming from? Was she tested for pancreatitis?

ETA: It could be possible that the "diabetes hunger" has been masking some other condition she has that is cutting into her appetite. Now that the numbers are lower the FD appetite is waning and we're seeing what's underneath. The first thing I think of, personally, is pancreatitis. Does she seem to have a tummy ache? To check for pancreatitis you would do a Spec fPL blood test.

15. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

She last had a cerenia last night at 7pm
    ( due in another 1 1/2 hours)
    The vet did a spl for pancreatitis last week it was normal
    She’s 11 pounds lost a bit prior to diagnosis 12/23/17
    She was 13
    She’s eaten mostly routisserie chicken mixed with small portions of her 6% canned food. I’d say she’s eaten half of what she normally does.. but it’s been a struggle
    Vet visit is out.. we’re finacially strapped at present
    ( my husband is completely done with all of this) I’m pretty close behind
    She has had blood work done At diagnosis and then about a month ago it’s with her spread sheet info
    If she doesn’t eat at PMPS give a lower dose?????

This is so discouraging after such hard work with this sweet girl

16. Steph & Quintus & L & O

If she’s eating half, then depending on her numbers shoot either a reduced or normal dose? She’s still in the yellows so has some way to go before ending up in the lime greens. Would you be able to monitor?
    Is she drinking enough?

I need to head to bed (11pm, up at 5.30) but I hope somebody can pick up and help you through this! Maybe @Stacy & Asia is around?

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you

18. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

At this point with any of my kitties I syringe feed chicken or turkey Gerbers 2nd baby food ... 2 teaspoons at a time ... slowly ... also slowly syringe water 1-2 teaspoons ...

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  19. Stacy & Asia

With ketones in the mix, I wouldn't risk not giving any insulin. @Sandy and Black Kitty might have a suggestion for how much.

Eating half of what she normally eats, while not ideal, is better than just refusing to eat. I hope when you can give cerenia again it may help. Have you tried meat baby food? That seems to work for a lot of people, make sure it contains no onions or extra stuff, just turkey or chicken or whatever.

20. Stacy & Asia

Also, while a vet visit may not be an option right at this time, can you call your vet and explain the situation? Maybe your vet could prescribe an appetite stimulant or some onda to help?

21. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Ondansetron and Cerenia target different nausea receptors. Sometimes one will work where the other wouldn't, or you may need to give both.
    Why are you feeding her after nadir? Feeding carbs after nadir can put the brakes on the insulin action. Let her go a little longer between feeds, and she may be more inclined to eat at preshot time.

Cat's undergoing anethesia, who cannot eat, usually get 1/2 dose of insulin. Not all the insulin you give goes to counteract the carbs in food. How much above that depends on how much more food you think you can get in her. When Neko was being picky and running in the greens, I'd sometimes give her 8% carbs instead of her usual much lower carb food. But not now, wait until PS time.

Can you assist feed? Sometimes getting a little food in the tummy will "prime the pump".

22. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Don’t criticize me. I am doing the best I can
    I feed her every three hours or so because she’s been needing that amount of food

She s now refusing all food
    I’m going to give her 1 unit

23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Not criticizing, just asking. Is she needing that amount of food because she's losing weight? I dealt with an inappetant Neko so just trying to give you tips that worked for me that maybe you haven't tried yet.

Good luck tonight.

24. Stacy & Asia

Janet, I understand how stressed out you're feeling right now, but I promise Wendy is not criticizing you, I put out messages to get some experienced members to your condo to give you some ideas. It's a good idea to look at her feeding schedule to examine how and where you can tweak it to have it work for Bella. Does she eat more often because she vomits if she goes longer without feeding? Or has she just wanted more food than usual since diabetes diagnosis?

She may be slowing down appetite wise when her numbers get lower as a natural progression of diabetes being better controlled because she can utilize her food now and therefore needs less. Just something to consider and think back to long before her diabetes diagnosis, how much did she typically eat then? Like Wendy said, if she goes a little longer stretch without food, she may develop a better hunger response. These things are worth examining and playing with going forward now that the immediate threat of ketones and her wacky responses at first to insulin are further away.

I'm glad you gave her some insulin. I would still monitor her if you can, because of the depot, things may play out the same as if you gave the full amount. It will get better, Janet, you're doing great, some things just take a little more time.:bighug:

25. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

She had lost weight. What worked for her was feeding her what she wanted every three to four hours small amounts.. usually 1tbs - 1 ounce
    Sometimes the way things are written come across as criticism.. especially to a burnt out caretaker

26. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi there :cool:

Since you have successfully derailed the ketone development, I’m thinking now would be a good time to review her daily caloric intake (canned food only). Most cats do well with 150-250 calories per day.

Bella is at her ideal weight correct?

27. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

The vet techs got Yum to eat last week by using a tongue depressor to shove food into the top of her mouth.
    After she got a few mouthfuls that way she started to eat for them.

28. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Yikes

29. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Some people do a similar trick with their finger (if their kitty is the cooperative sort and not likely to take the finger off).

During all the time you've had appy problems with Bella, have you ever tried an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine or Cyproheptadine (most of us prefer the latter)? If not, would your vet be likely to give you some without a visit first, since I assume he/she is familiar with Bella's appy issues?

Janet, we totally get how stressed and exhausted you are. I'm sure your husband's frustration doesn't help you, either. Hang in there. We all want to help. :bighug:

30. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

I’ve used mirtazapine in the past ( I actually have some left over from a past loss of appetite experience with Bella )as I understand it, if you have a cat with nausea issues, an appetite stimulant is contraindicated. Is that correct?

31. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Hard to say.. she was 13 pounds prior to diagnosis.. she’s just over 11 pounds now. She’s “fluffy” medium haired so weight loss is hard to discern.

32. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

You might try finger-feeding meat baby food. Beechnut Stage 1 has no added onion; the chicken is good, as is the turkey; some cats like the ham. Bella might accept it from you feeding it to her, rather than just putting it into her dish.

Good luck! Rusty has never been food-motivated and I get him to finish his food by holding the bowl while sitting with him on the couch, watching TV.

33. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thanks
    I’ve tried all this and more
    She will eat out of my hand most of the time when all else fails....today, none of that worked

34. Sean & Rufus

So sorry she is not eating well. I know sometimes when Rufus isn't eating well, and I try and try to get him to eat it gets worse. They can sense our frustration and can get scared. I think that she has probably eaten enough to get her dose (or half) and I would let her come to the food. I could be wrong in assessing the situation, but just want to help :)

35. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you.
    I appreciate your advice.
    Yes, I think our cats do pick up on our “vibes”
    Hard not to get emotionally involved ( actually impossible) we do the best that we can.

36. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones gets cerenia and an appy stim every day.

You can space them out. Cerenia first then the appy stim an hour later.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  37. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Good to know
    Thanks

38. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I have some ondansetron and can mail you a few tomorrow . You can see if it makes a difference. send me a private message with your address. ( start a conversation by clicking on my name)
    Meanwhile....
    try to think out of the box.... ( er, can )

does she like cheese? scrambled egg? deli meat ( just no sugar ham) human can of tuna?

39. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Tried all those things.. routisserie chicken has been her “kitty crack” in the past... not today :(

40. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

what freeze dried do you have? Sometimes if you crumble something new on top, it will prime the pump.
    Guess I'll include a few things that I have in the mail.
    I hope she'll eat better tomorrow. I'm in NM so I'm not sure how fast it will get there. I will send it priority mail and maybe it will be 2 days , or 3.

41. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

I’ve tried that..freeze dried chicken dust on her food usually works as an enticement... not today

42. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there! And yes, Bubba ate less when he got into lower numbers than he was use to. But, then he soon picked up again because he is part hog. :rolleyes: ( I should say part pig because it isn't a hog until 100 lbs. )

Have you tried some of the appy stimulates that are non drug? Sprinkling ground oregano on the food worked well with Bubba. Also, the all meat baby food was always a favorite ( I liked the Beech Nut as they use no corn starch for thickening and corn is bad for kitties and us for that matter. If Bella is only getting chicken and turkey cat food, try ham baby food. Bubba went nuts over it!

Also, low sodium tuna juice poured over the food is usually a winner at our house. And even giving some of the low sodium tuna fish to eat. Also, try poaching some chicken breast in a bit of water and cutting it up for her. If she doesn't go for it, blend it up to puree it. Sometimes a differnet consistency is what will get them to eat. For instances, I was feeding all ground raw food and he stopped eating it after a GI upset. To get him eating again, I tried chunk raw food and Bingo! He started eating again.

Sometime, Bonita flakes sprinkled over his food would get him going and sometimes it was Young Again Dry food crushed up on top of the food to get him going.

Florti Flora sprinkled on top.

If I am being redundant to what you've tried, I am sorry. Just getting back from Vacation and didn't go back and read all the post while I am gone.

I sympathize with the no eating thing. Nothing makes me more anxious and upset. Sending lots of eating vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  44. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, the first vacation for just me and DH in 4 years! Wonderful and anxiety over being away from the fur gang.

Keep retrying what you have. What didn't work yesterday, might tomorrow. Also, I would freeze cat food that was opened and wasn't being eating and tjaw retry later. It can get expensive if food is wasted.

Sending appy vines! :bighug:

45. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Great advice...especially about freezing cat food! Thanks

46. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines to your beautiful girl. I know how frustrating and worrying it is when they won't eat. I recently (about a year ago), had a compounding pharmacy send me some chicken flavored liquid cyproheptadine. Of course, by the time it arrived, Ginger was eating just fine (many $ at vets later). I hope your Bella is soon eating fine too :bighug: I have spent so many days at grocery stores buying this and that and that and this hoping my cat would eat some of it. I know how you feel.

JanetMR likes this.
  47. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

hopefully she will have some ondansetron in 2 or 3 days.... new mexico to va , priority mail

48. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yeah ,Janet , on successful syringe feed !!! How blessed Bella is to have you going thru all this for and with her . :bighug: For my boys, the syringe feeding little by little almost always perks them up enuf that they will start to eat on their own AND makes me feel better to know a bit of food is getting in their bellies:) I’m praying she eats a bit more tonight and that you can get peaceful sleep and wake up to a Bella renewed appy :bighug:

49. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I recall, back when Trixie was having appy issues, Amy found that when she syringe fed a little food, Trixie realized that eating did not make her feel worse, and she ate some on her own. I totally get that. I know, after a night of over-indulgence in adult beverages, the thought and smell of food makes me want to head for the nearest restroom. However, I discovered that if I forced myself to eat a little, I actually felt better! Perhaps it's the same with cats.
    It is correct. If she is turning away from food and smacking her lips, she is nauseated, and that has to be addressed before giving a stimulant. However, if she is just turning away, without the smacking or visible evidence of nausea (and maybe if you've given Cerenia), then it might just be that she finds no appeal in the food and the stimulant might work. All this requires a great deal of attention on your part, and at this point you might be too exhausted for it. I used to give the Cerenia (or Ondansetron, or both) then wait two hours and give the Cypro. Worked most of the time.

I did find, when the Cerenia seemed to no longer be helping, that giving both Ondansetron and Cerenia did the trick. Hopefully, when Rhiannon's package arrives, you will find the same. I would try the Ondansetron on its own first, and if that doesn't work, give both. It is safe to give both together. You can give up to 4 mg of Ondansetron a day. For my cats, 1/4 of a Cerenia tablet and 2 mg of Ondansetron was the key, but ECID.

Sending more appy vines, as well as lot of :bighug:s for Bella's stressed-out bean.

50. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I know that burnt out condition. It's so hard, especially when your DH is no longer able to be hopeful. You're doing a good job, and it does not yet look hopeless to me. Get some sleep, try to relax -maybe some wine?
    hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. Sean & Rufus

How are you and Bella doing today?

52. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Janet just informed me that Bella had a rough night and they let her go at home in the morning surrounded by her family.
    I'm not sure if she will come back and post that info so I thought I would let every one know that
    Bella is at the rainbow bridge.

[​IMG]

53. Sean & Rufus

Oh, I'm so so sorry to hear that. Rest in peace, sweet Bella.

54. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

55. Stacy & Asia

56. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry, Janet.

cat_wings>o Rest in peace dear Bella...

57. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry:bighug:
    Rest In Peace Sweet Bella:rb_icon:

58. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

So very, very sorry it was Bella's time to go to the bridge. :bighug:cat_wings>o

59. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I’m so very sorry :bighug::bighug::bighug:...

60. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you

61. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you

62. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Fly free Bella. Sending prayers.

63. AZJenks

AZJenks Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet Bella. :rb_icon:

64. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet friend.
    Rest in peace, beautiful Bella :rb_icon:

65. Bobbie And Bubba

Janet, I am so sorry to be reading that sweet Bella is at the bridge. I know you heart is heavy and that you loved Bella very much.

Fly high, land softly Bella cat_wings>o

66. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Fly free little one and land softly. There are many who are well loved to greet you at the Bridge.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  67. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Janet, I am so very sorry that you lost sweet Bella!

68. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you had to let your kitty go. :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

69. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

No more pain for sweet Bella. Fly free sweet kittycat_wings>o.

70. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss Janet. Fly free Bella :rb_icon: 22051.jpg :rb_icon:

71. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. :bighug: cat_wings>o

72. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

73. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

74. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

75. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so, so sorry to hear that Bella has gone to the Bridge. She will always be with you in your heart.

Fly free, sweet Bella, and land softlycat_wings>o

76. Steph & Quintus & L & O

I'm so sorry to read this sad news. My heart goes out to you.

77. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you. I’m missing her so much.

78. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you
    Thank you. I am very greatful for all the support.

79. Dimmu & KL

Dimmu & KL Member

She left for the bridge knowing she's very loved. My condolences.
    No more suffering, no more pain. Fly high and free, sweet Bella. cat_wings>o

JanetMR likes this.
  80. Moose (GA) & Rae

Moose (GA) & Rae Member

:bighug:cat_wings>o Big hugs for you, I am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

JanetMR likes this.
  81. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

At the Bridge your sweet Bella will be with all our Guardian Angels, who will keep her company until that wonderful day when you will meet again. Fly free, sweet Bella cat_wings>o. You are much loved.

In deepest sympathy,
    Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

JanetMR likes this.
  82. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Ah Janet. So very sad to read that Bella is gone from you .
    She had the very best of a person in you.
    Much love.

JanetMR likes this.
  83. LeeAnn (Lannie)& Freckles

LeeAnn (Lannie)& Freckles Member

I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.:(

84. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry-

85. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss Janet. Bella could have been a stray and unloved. Instead you gave her everything. And she knew it.

May she have a safe landing at the Bridge and wait for you there. She was a good kitteh.cat_wings>o

Beth 73 likes this.
  86. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thank you

87. JanetMR

JanetMR Member

Thanks

88. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I'm So Sorry for your loss Janet.
    Fly Free Bella
    :rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon: