3.5 hours late!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NYCHousewife, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCHousewife

NYCHousewife New Member

Today I have been ill myself.

I forgot to give my kitty her Lantus . I realized it 3.5 hours after.

My vet said if it is 4 hours or more to skip the dose, so I just made it with 3.5

Will it be ok to give her her 11 am dose this evening?

I gave her her morning dose at 2:30

Thanks in advance everyone.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Lantus needs to be 12hrs between doses. Your schedule is now off, so you can begin to adjust backwards each shot no more than 30min early I think.

What is your normal shoot time and when did you give the late shot? Do you have a spreadsheet with BG numbers from testing?

3. NYCHousewife

NYCHousewife New Member

So I have to give the shot at 2 am, 1:30 am, 1:00 am and work back till 11???? WOWWWWW!!!

Shoot time is 11.

I went from 8 to 11, vet gave the ok to change it last week or so.

I have a spreadsheet on my computer, that is not uploaded online here yet...

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It depends what the PS is. In the past because of my work schedule on the weekends I would dose on a 8/16 schedule. Not optimum but doable. Sometimes I had to adjust down the dose for the next short interval.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

this is from the lantus board:

Because of the cumulative nature of Lantus and Levemir:
    An early shot = a dose increase.
    A late shot = a dose reduction.

It is important to stick to as close a 12/12 schedule as possible.

Now you do have options - you can totally skip the next shot and call it a fur shot, then get back to your regular schedule with the following shot.

You can do as Gayle suggested, slowly working your way back to the ideal times.

Without knowing how your cat is handling the lantus or how much you are giving, it is hard to give more specific advice than this.

And you may want to set an alarm for when it's shot time, so that you don't miss it again. Just a thought.

6. NYCHousewife

NYCHousewife New Member

Thanks, Hillary.

I am going to check her sugar again before giving a shot tonight. I may very well end up just skipping it and calling it a fur shot...
    or,

depending on her glucose, i may give her 1/2 unit at midnight, and then back to 11/11 am/pm

Thanks everybody for the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.