3/5 Sabrina AMPS 110, +3.25 102, +7.75 48, +8.75 60, +10.5 108, PMPS 142 Earned decrease

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Sabrina's 3/4 Condo
    Evening ! It's been a long & eventful day.....Sabrina earned her reduction & I'm now questioning whether or not the original injectable, (Covenia) did absolutely nothing during her dka episode....with that , I'll make this short & sweet....Sabrina is now getting her appetite back, BIG YAY!!! bg is awesome but nadir was below my comfort zone & just syringe fed her as necessary. I gave her a choice of foods...ff w/gravy, YA zero carb, Science Diet critical care(syringe)................omg just eat anything!!!:eek: On that note, I have to get up early for work & I pray to the sugarkitty gods Sabrina will cooperate & be a proper princess, but we all know...ECID:p Have a wonderful , non eventful night!!! Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

2/5
    AMPS 110 .75U
    +3.25 102
    +7.75 48 :nailbiting: ****!!!
    +8.75 60
    +10.5 108
    PMPS 142 .50U Dose reduction:D

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

what a nice cycle for Sabrina today! all that time spent in normal numbers is good for her.

Convenia is named for the word "convenient." It was developed for skin infections, and of course because none of us loves pilling a kitty, vets seem to give it for everything. Unless Sabrina had a skin infection it may/may not have done anything at all. Hard to say. Antibiotics are typically better with certain bugs than others.

One word of caution - she just had a dose decrease 2 cycles ago from 1.0 to 0.75u. Because of Lantus' depot action, a larger dose can still influence as many as 4-6 cycles AFTER you've decreased a dose. In other words, her 1.0u dose is very likely still involved in the 48 she got today. So as her 1.0 depot reduces still over the next couple of cycles, and if you're giving her 0.5u injections, it may be that adds up to too much of a dose decrease. Typically if people get numbers under 50 in the first 4 cycles after a dose decrease, unless the kitty was really going fast down the dosing scale (like a newly diagnosed kitty might do) we'd probably suggest that you not take another reduction so soon after the last one. She may still need 0.75u.

So that's a bit of a heads-up for you to be watching carefully in the next couple of cycles. If you see her blood sugar trending upward, you may need to immediately go back up to 0.75u in order to get control before she loses these great numbers. Remember, your goal is to get everything in the 50-120 range, rather than to decrease the dose.

Here's a little bit of information about a failed reductions. Take a look at the first and second posts in that thread.

And here's a reference from the TRP page:

• If an attempted reduction fails, go right back up to the last good dose as soon as you see kitty's numbers trending upwards. You don't have to hold the reduced dose for a certain number of cycles before taking the dose right back up. The guidelines listed under the topic "Increasing the dose" do not apply to a failed reduction.

Please use common sense in this situation. The "last good dose" is not the dose that just dropped kitty into the 20s or 30s. You want to resume momentum by finding a dose in-between the dose that dropped kitty too low and the reduced dose.
    • Since 2006 we've encouraged those practicing Tight Regulation to attempt reducing the dose from 0.25u to 0.1u before stopping insulin completely. During a two week OTJ trial, you want to see mostly green numbers (under 100) with only a few random blue numbers between 100 - 120 to help ensure a strong remission.

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

4. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Thank you Julie! I now understand a little bit more clearly. This morning her +11 was 254, dosed early @ hvy .5U, but will increase back up to .75U tonight. Also overnight she ate more ff chicken/cheddar, SD critical care, & I just gave her 1/3rd can ff beef/cheddar. Also she got her dose of clavamox & sub q..... I'll post the new thread later when I get more data on the way she's trending during the day. Oh, also on her ss I finally got her labs posted in the tab.......If you click on sheet tab at bottom it comes up......is this correct???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.