3.5 years now

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Los Gatos, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

About 2500 injections later Fluff/Snowcone is still going along with the Prozinc and I wanted to get a new spreadsheet for 2018 to start the year. This last few years has been tough on him as he has had two bouts of Pancreatitis, one very severe and most recently Pyelonephritis.
    So now his kidneys are acting up and losing weight pretty fast.

Most of the time he has been on the Young Again food along with the Fancy Feast Classic and I can verify that his glucose numbers did well on that. His average was around the 250 range and he would have long periods where it went to 350 and also periods where it was in the 100's.
    Now since he is on kidney food and the vet wants to keep the insulin levels down his numbers are pretty astronomical for the last month. I told the vet I can't keep that up as that will cause so many other problems later on.
    I get my syringes from Cal vet supply and they are the Sol-M ones and I've probably used 2k. Nice and sharp.

FDMB is great and without the initial help and guidance I wouldn't be where I am at with Fluff.

Just checking in and giving thanks.
    Kevin

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin! I think I remember you popping in a time or two back in 2015 when I first joined! Welcome back!

I've never heard of reducing insulin because of kidney problems. Is there some other reason? That seems like poor advice to me which makes me wonder why the vet would suggest it? Sounds like a good thing you pushed back on that a bit.

I dont' know if this would be helpful to you at all, but here is a link to a food list that has foods that are good for both diabetes and CKD: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/112NvvzgxEBOtkb42rA0XR8GeShw9xXs9kccf9-olK7I/pubhtml

3. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

I probably won't do anymore food changes as it is too hard for me to adjust the insulin dosages for Fluff with new variations. He has always been in the .75 to 2.5 unit range and I can get him to react to .25/.5 unit doses. For awhile I had him sub-200 and it worried me as the lowest he went was ~65. I think I will be lucky if he lasts 2018 though.
    He does enjoy the Tiki cat though. Thank you for the list.

Djamila likes this.
  4. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I love his face! I hope he gets better and makes it through 2018.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Happy New Year! Sending vines of comfort and peace to you and Fluff.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin! Glad to see you again....it's been awhile. I'm glad to hear that Fluff is still going strong, but sorry to hear about his other illnesses. I hope this year brings you both peace and good times, for however long he has. :bighug::bighug:

7. Los Gatos

Los Gatos Member

Thank you all. He used up his lifetime supply of vet costs and a whole lot of the other cats just last year. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.