3/6 Alex PMPS 157,+2.25~244,+3.5~219,+5.5~165

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA), Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat
    Shouldn't have given even a drop of Karo last night I guess :?
    Man, does my boy like to bounce...!
    All P's are in order but Alex was screaming at me for food when I got up today.
    Now I know why <sigh> I liked yesterday's AMPS better :roll:

Happy Caturday LL :D

yesterday

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Re: 3/6 Alex AMPS 457

Hang in there Caryl. Things are looking better with Carolyn's help. You had a couple of beautiful days.

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Morning! LOL Liver training school, he's failing. Breathe! Niiiiiice run of numbers last night. Don't stress bout the Karo, you needed sleep right?

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

And remember the karo doesn't last long in his system, just long enough to give the rise you needed that's all. So, ok he bounced up to 400's, not surprising. Considering when we talked he was at 100 and we figured pmps would be in the same range. Not surprised he dropped to the 70's. But you handled it well and fed him correctly.

Don't feel bad or beat yourself up. this was expected. Now the question, is how quickly will he bring himself down from here and how much of a drop.

Again, keep the MC handy if you see him dropping like 200 points quickly - as Carolyn instructed - you want to slow and smooth the drop so he's not yoyo-ing and doing more like a tennis ball bounce.

Make sense?

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Good morning...
    Yeah I needed to get to bed. My back was hurting me and I needed to take a muscle relaxer so I could get up in 5 hrs to give him his shot :) I only gave him a drop of Karo mixed in to the food.

Do you want me to give Alex any bupe? If so, ya gotta tell me how to do it cause I can figure it out lol

6. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Hey Hillary :)
    How is Maui today?
    how did the bupe work out?

7. Carolyn and Spot

Oh cool, I forgot you got it.. damn I'm an airhead today. Just slide that syringe between his cheek and lower jaw and let 'er rip. Some of it may end up on his tongue but the majority of it will be where it needs to be. Restrain his head so he doesn't knock the syringe out of his mouth while you're doing it. Bupe squirted across the room doesn't work as well.. and don't worry: He won't drown. ;-) Then monitor.

If you miss or he knocks it out or you don't think he got any, don't re-administer for 8 hours, just in case.

Gotta go to the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken for Leo, be back in a bit. :)

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

I borrowed a condo today for Maui and gave an update there. check it out.

but she's doing better today.

for the bupe - it appears to be bit heavier (almost gel like) than lantus - not as thick as karo - so what I did was put the syringe into the upper cheek area (not sure if it matters upper or lower) - between gum and cheek and very slowly squirted it in - since I'm giving more than you - I did it slowly - so it was absorb more and not swallow - I think cause it's heavier, it doesn't just squirt and get swallowed.

I think that's the key between gum and cheek - since there is no needle on it, you won't hurt him by putting it in mouth.

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I gave it to him and tried to slide it down the side. I don't know how much ended up in the right place and how much went down his throat but I did see him swallow some. He kept moving his head around. None ended up in the air though. Then he got a little snack.

I'm so nervous I don't know why. I used to like stuff like that and probably still would if I could get my hands on anything I wasn't allergic to :D

356 at +3 eh eh

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Thanks! I didn't see you hiding there :mrgreen:

11. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 3/6 Alex AMPS 457,+3~365

Alex is very very quiet from the bupe. I can't tell if he feels good or bad. I know he's not asking for food right now so it is definitely affecting him :?

12. Carolyn and Spot

It was .1mL right? Give him a couple hours, it allows them to relax so if they are in pain, they get pretty chilled. He might take a nice deep nap too, but you should not see any real depressed lethargy, and as the cycle progresses you should see him be more active too. If he's been in pain a long time, it could take a few doses for him to get caught up on his sleep :mrgreen:

13. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

It was .1 ml the first line on the syringe. As a matter of fact as soon as I wrote the last thing, I went over to him and he started asking for food...not talking but purring. When I walked away, he started yelling at me and jumped on the counter, so he's not that tired. And when I put the food down he was doing the 'happy dance' so he's okay. Just a bit more mellow. He's a hard kitty to give that syringe to but I guess it went in ok? I didn't find it to be thick....

14. Carolyn and Spot

Re: 3/6 Alex AMPS 457,+3~365,+5~237

Yeah mine is very thin in consistency, like water. Not sure what variation bupe Hillary's got but mine's not at all like gel. I can tell Leo is swallowing something when I give it to him but it could be an involuntary reflex so I don't worry about it because I can tell it's working pretty quickly. Watch him for 8 hours or so, so you have a detailed report to give to your vet.. his other kitty clients will benefit from it :) I usually find Leo upside down doing his "smile", looking all cute and content about 3 hours after I give it to him. A beautiful sight to see when just a few hours earlier he had eyes and ears at half-mast lookin' all sad and in pain. :)

15. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Mine is like water,or insulin..also.
    Well since I didn't know if Alex was in pain I guess I have to look for other signs like lack of growling; Alex giving the peace sign, and if he asks to listen to The Grateful Dead I'll know FOR SURE he's feelin' groovy :mrgreen:

how many more times should I check his bg this cycle? and am I giving him the bupe again tonight?

16. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I can personally attest to the fact that improperly administered bupe shoots across the room. :mrgreen: Congrats to anyone who avoided that! :D

I hope your back is better today, Alex. Maybe Alex should crawl on your shoulders on take his nap there. Nice heating pad. :mrgreen:

17. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Alex's back is fine..it's MY back that hurts haha :mrgreen:

as a matter of fact, Alex used to do that when I was watching tv. That's one of his behaviors that changed when he got diabetes.He stopped hanging out in some of the places that he used to hang out in and one of them is my back. Just this week he started to lie on top of my head for a few minutes before going to bed like he used to :)

How is Kitty?

18. Kathy and Kitty

Okay, it's settled, I need to go back to bed! :lol: Good morning, Caryl, I hope YOUR back is better!

19. Carolyn and Spot

How bout just once or twice more this cycle.. +8 - +10 area.. sound good?

Behavior check, what's he up to now and is it different than "normal" Alex?

20. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Interesting that your bupes are more liquid. I squirted mine a bit and it was more gel like - now maybe this guy has special bupe - and his is the higher quality, stronger stuff.... ;-) who knows, it was an observations that is for my bupe and not yours....

I was told to keep in fridge - maybe that did it, is yours in fridge?

the last time Maui had dandruff was before FD diagnosis - they are going to fax the report next week - I'll look at it closely when I get it and see what it is he was seeing. And no I'm not worried.

I think I tested her before we went to vet last month (maybe not), but I definitely tested her yesterday AM before leaving and she was fine.

21. Kathy and Kitty

Maybe the refrigeration is the difference. We were told to keep ours at room temp.

Any idea how long bupe lasts? Maybe refrigerating helps it keep longer?

22. Carolyn and Spot

I was told to keep mine at room temp. Haven't noticed any breakdown or loss of efficacy at all. Could be the refrigeration is doing it. If it's working for Maui I wouldn't stress too much about it :)

23. Kathy and Kitty

Question about bupe trial for pain.

Since bupe is not a longterm solution -- is that right, can't give bupe forever? -- then if you establish the cat has pain, what do you do next? Our vet said that there are few ongoing pain remedies for felines.

24. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Howdy I'm back :)

Was watching Project Runway and playing with Jackson
    Just did test at +7.5=115 Alex is all colors of the rainbow today
    He had a snack after and was very hungry
    He did the "happy dance" again but he's not jumping on counters for food
    He's 'mellow'...and nappy, but ready for a snack if I walk by
    He hasn't been yakking this afternoon, only a little chirpy
    He did growl at Jackson a little when he went to LB and Jack was in it
    but that coulda happened either way I guess
    Does this make any sense? :roll:

It's hard for me to know because I can't tell if he was in pain before
    his numbers are sure dropping today but that's happened before too
    even when he isn't so relaxed..but he IS very relaxed.
    I forgot who asked but Carolyn told me to keep the bupe at room temp not refrigerated.
    *******************************************************************************
    Kathy I don't really know anything about long term use, I hope that question was meant for Carolyn :D

25. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 3/6 Alex AMPS 457,+3~365,+5~237,+7.5~115

Yup. :mrgreen:

Nice +7.5 there!!

26. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I just hope he doesn't like it too much...my days lava lamps, VW Vans and love beads are long gone :)
    nap time yay

27. Carolyn and Spot

Nice!! I'd say that +7.5 is indication that the bupe is working! AND what a nice WCR. Do a second dose at +12 from the first dose.. maybe as early as +11 if the first one was so late that it will interfere with your sleep. Hold your Lantus dose tonight. This is really nice to see.. really! He's gonna graduate from LTS one day, I know it LOL

Goin' out tonight.. have fun with him!

28. Hillary & Maui (GA)

It's possible the cold made mine thicker. This is my first time using bupe and well, I'm just following dentist's directions. Oh and just so you know, I'm giving Maui 0.5 (but it really looks like 0.6) syringe full of bupe. Again following directions, was given 4 syringes and told to use an entire syringe each time.

It's interesting anyway, the different things we are told by vets. Maybe the fridging is to make it thicker and therefore, ensure more absorption rather than swallowing and not only did he tell me to fridge, they wrote it on the bag. This would make sense, at least it does to me.

Caryl and I talked about this last night and realized that Maui is getting such a larger dose is because she's had "trauma" and requires it, unlike the test going on with Alex to see if it takes the "chill" off our 70's throwback boy!

So does this mean I can start saying groovy and cool again?! :D

29. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Even "far out" is okay by me :)

30. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 3/6 Alex AMPS 457,+3~365,+5~237,+11~133

+11 is 133 here we go again .....
    ETA: bupe is all worn off at +11
    Alex is whiny and and pacing for food
    and I can feel that he is going to get a little growly
    I'm gonna check the litter pans and see if he peed as much

Nope..didn't pee nearly as much this afternoon the wee wee pad I put down at about 4:30 is clean
    (initially that was for Jackson but monkey see, monkey do..long story) :roll:

31. Carolyn and Spot

Holy cow, that's a MONSTER dose Hillary whew - I once gave Leo .25mL and he got so disoriented he slept in the litter box the whole trip to NY. from Maryland. And he weighs well over 20lbs LOL

32. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

should I give him HC if he goes below 70 again? is it a good idea to give the bupe if he's dropping without it?

33. Kathy and Kitty

Carolyn -- yep, that question was for you! :D Would love to know what you think.

Kitty was also sent home with large doses -- .5 (?) per oral syringe. He's 16 pounds, but I don't think I would have given it all. Of course, last time I gave bupe, 2/3 ended up on the wall behind us!

34. Carolyn and Spot

Yes HC any 200pt drops and also if he goes below 70. Yes, bupe has little effect on numbers, just eases the pain which drives numbers up. :)

35. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

If PS nmber is in the 100s hes not gonna have any 200 point drops :)

36. Carolyn and Spot

That's a question you should ask on Health.. I'm not a pro, just use one medication for pain often, but not daily, so if I were to go to a long term pain drug I would probably be asking questions about adequan I think it's spelled. There aren't a lot of pain meds that don't hurt cats so you need to ask a lot of people and do a lot of research but there's help out there. Kidneys and liver are the two things you have to be worried about with long term pain med use, so any long term meds need to be monitored closely via bloodwork.

And Caryl, if he drops 200 pts from 100, you should probably consider an ER visit :D

37. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Carolyn - I thought it seemed like a large dose, based on what I've read here and the dose that Caryl is using. And I did question the vet about dose, he was very clear on using the entire syringe. Maui weighed in at 13.2. The one thing I noticed today, it didn't make her loopy (at least I couldn't tell) and she stayed calmed. So, she must really hurt - glad this guy things pain meds are important and prescribes it - oh and I looked at the itemized bill - they charged a lot for that stuff! $50 per syringe!

Funny Carolyn - drops 200 points from 100 -- took me a moment to do the math and figure that one out!

38. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

That's why I said below 70..I was being specific :)

39. Kathy and Kitty

At $50 per syringe, darn well better use it all! :lol:

Thanks for the explanation, Carolyn. Cassandra has also talked about Adequan -- I think several people have gotten good results.

40. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Holy Kittens that's a lot of dinero! :eek:

41. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 3/6 Alex PMPS 157

Oh Rats! Here we go again ohmygod_smile

42. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

We did not avoid that with Logan! It was shot across the room, into my eye, into DH2B's face, etc...many times I don't think Logan even got any! He's a terror when it comes to liquid meds.

Looks like the bupe made Alex feel better. Hope he has a good night. You, too, Caryl.

43. Kathy and Kitty

What's wrong with PMPS 157? That's a beautiful PMPS. Did I miss something? You MIGHT have a very nice cycle starting here -- a shocker, I know, but possible! :D

44. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

if I have to give HC he'll bounce again :( BUT he's going the wrong way at +2 so perhaps I won't have to worry. Now I'm thinking maybe I gave a fur shot... nailbite_smile

I feel like you :lol:Time for bupe :)

45. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Re: 3/6 Alex PMPS 157,+2.25~244

Hi Caryl!!

What a great week for Alex..
    Pretty snazzy looking numbers (with a slight bounce in between).. but, looks like Alex is doing soooo much better :mrgreen:

Hope your back feels better soon!

46. Kathy and Kitty

Personally, I don't think you gave a fur shot. I think he's just rolling around. What I find so great is that he's rolling in a much narrower range. 80 points in two hours is a lot -- but it isn't 200.

I think I remember Carolyn recommending the HC. I wonder if you could move to a medium carb soon.

47. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Thanks Paula ..on both counts(Alex and me)
    Alex is going up a little tonight but he be groovin' from the bupe so all is well :mrgreen:

How are you?

48. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Why would I give anything other than low carb tonight? He's in the 200's? Am I reading something wrong :?

I have MC and HC in the house..I gave both yesterday

I think I know why Alex's numbers went up..I mixed some MC in with his LC at dinner to keep him from going too low tonight(maybe that could be it)
    OR more likely it's because of the stooooopid feud going on with ABC and my cable company.

ABC pulled itself off the air at midnight because they want 40 million dollars from cablevision in the NY area so we won't have the Oscars tomorrow and if this continues, any of my favorite shows and Alex's blood is boiling over it (Jackson too) grr_red grr_red grr_red angry(2)_cat angry(2)_cat

49. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Oh darn I didn't see this Kelly.
    I didn't have any trouble giving Alex the bupe. I thought I would, but I didn't.
    How's Logan doing? Is he feeling better? I'll check in tomorrow..

50. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Re: 3/6 Alex PMPS 157,+2.25~244,+3.5~219

Glad that the bupe is helping!
    Amazing stuff..

Pepper and I are pluggin along.. lol! Trying new antihistamines for his allergies to try to get him back on course.. We'll get there!

So nice to see Alex doing soooo much better! I knew that Carolyn and your loving persistence would get him there! :D

51. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 3/6 Alex PMPS 157,+2.25~244,+3.5~219

Maybe I'll try some bupe too :) I need to be mellow.
    Alex now has a crush on Carolyn..he loves attention and wants to please her :D

You and Pepper are always cool and you know it ;-)

52. Carolyn and Spot

DANG! What a nice string of numbers Caryl!

What a beautiful night!

Edited to add: please continue with 2 more bupe cycles tomorrow.. just wanna see what doses 3 and 4 do for him :)

And Kathy, for next time, I only recommend HC or MC for Alex during BIG drops.. like 200pts or more in the first 3-4 hours. I also recommend it only for him, no other cats, because Alex has a tendency to come crashing down from the stratosphere and then go flying right back up. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.