3/6 Bear Man update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last week's condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7584

amps 220, +3 153

I am trying out a lower dose in preparation for Bear's beloved DPS giving shots. Two nights ago, he gave me a +13 of 103, and I ended up skipping a shot. I don't really want him dipping deep into the greens these days, and especially not while Andrea is taking care of him, so I am seeing how the F.5U (down from .75) looks on him. He seems pretty stable and comfortable this week. If things hold, I should be able to get on my plane next Old Timer's Day for a short visit to Disney World with my sister and the kids. I told Andrea to just keep him eating, no matter what, and if in doubt, don't shoot. He will have more access to dry while I am gone, and will probably run a bit high. Andrea will have her hands full with the shot/binder/food/meds timing and everything else that needs doing here in the crazy house.

OT: Miss Emily had her abdominal ultrasound yesterday. Her kidneys looked pretty good. No mineralization. They were consistent with chronic past or ongoing pyelonephritis and interstitial nephritis. The IM vet does not suggest a change to a renal diet, or treatment with a binder. Having said that, I have been feeding her the same lowER phosphorus food that Bear is on, and will keep feeding that to her. The vet suggests rechecking a urine culture on her frequently. The bigger surprise was the evidence of chronic IBD with pancreatitis. We have sent blood out for PLI and B12/folate testing. The vet wants to consider treatment with Ursodiol and Prednisone and a hypo-allergenic diet (I think those are too high carb for her, though, as she is pre-diabetic).

Emily's U/S report: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bwg ... NzNk&hl=en

Teddy is feeling well, too. He has been taking Tylosin, which has helped a lot with his diarrhea and hematochezia. Here he is taking a nap on Bear:

[​IMG]

2. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Nice pic of your furries. Glad that you will get to go away. I love Disney!! Sounds like are pretty good as can be right now. Glad you have a dps you like and trust.

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I hope you have a wonderful time at Disney World! Love the picture of Bear & Teddy. Glad Miss Emily's kidneys look good.

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Beautiful babies there!! Enjoy your time at Disney, I'm sure your babies will be well while you are gone!
    You are still best momma bean around--Hugs~! & Happy Caturday!!

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Great update on the kitties, Linda (and thanks for my update too)
    You will have an amazing time at Disney, weather getting warmer by then end of the week.
    Safe travels, kitties will be fine but I so now how hard that is to beleive.

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Linda,
    You are remarkable! I dont know how you juggle so many issues with so many animals! And here I complain about being overwhelmed with one. Not only that, but you find time to go on vacation?!?!?! Gosh, now I feel like I should give that a try...its been 3yrs!

Im glad you seem to have somewhat of a happy household right now. I hope you are able to find a time this weekend to snuggle with one or all of them, as you enjoy their presence.

((((((Linda)))))))

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to see his update and how well he's doing. and of course the rest of family.

8. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Overall, a very good report for everyone. Hopefully, the lower phosphorus food will help Miss Emily. Sorry about the IBD/pancreatitis. You do an amazing job, Linda. You deserve a little vacation. And I love the pic of Teddy and Bear Man. They sound like they love each other very much...prob not as much as you love each of them, though. :mrgreen:

9. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Such a magnificent looking Bear Man! Does sound like overall good reports for the babies. Have a wonderful time at Disney!!! You sure deserve it.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks for the picture! They look so sweet..makes my heart get all warm inside. And Bear looks so fuzzy, I want to kiss him :mrgreen: .
    I'm glad things are stabilizing. You're such a good good mommabean Linda. You're an inspiration. (((hugs))).

11. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Bear and Teddy are so sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy your vacation Linda!

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

What a gorgeous picture of the kitties!

I am so glad you got a decent report at the vets, but sorry about the IBD/p-titis.
    I hope it all works out well and you have a fabulous time on the trip.

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Bear and Teddy look FABULOUS! The Whole House Report sounds pretty good too. You totally deserve a vacation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

bear and teddy look so cuddly!
    have a wonderful trip, linda... you so deserve a break!

15. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I love seeing the new pictures when you get them. So nice they cuddle. They look like they're feeling pretty darn good, too.

16. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good to see the update....enjoy Disney....I was there in December and it was wonderful! Enjoy it, you certainly deserve it!

Sherry & Zoe

17. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

We haven't been in LL lately, but I've been thinking of you and the Bear Man. Glad things are going well enough for you to take a well-deserved vacation! Love the pic of your furbabies!

18. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Yay for no mineralization :) Lower phos food - is that Friskies? I wouldn't go rx with her, since she is easygoing food-wise.

Yes, Denosyl is SAMe. i'd ordered a box last year after the VIN pharmacologist had recommended it for her, but then we got sidetracked with her UTI-CP flare in Sept and I forgot we had it till I saw her b/w on Friday. How interesting, I hadn't known that it supports brain health, but it does say so on this site.

Yes, I saw Cheryl's post - she'd sent me a PM to alert me too.

Have a wonderful time at Disney World! Will you be bringing back any new hats for Bear?

19. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

What a great report Linda and I am so happy that you will be getting away for yourself....Disney...so great...!!!
    Love to take a break form the real world and go to Disney World!!! Perfect!!!
    thanks so much for sharing the pix...adorable!!

20. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great update and I love the photo!

Bring some of the magic back to your kingdom. You and the kitties deserve some magic.

21. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice photo! Every time I see a pic of Bear Man I am reminded of how much he looks like Mannie, right down to the fur color and texture.

Enjoy your vacation - much needed and deserved I am sure.

22. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

"The bigger surprise was the evidence of chronic IBD with pancreatitis."

hmm...you had an u/s on her in 2003 that said that too, so really nothing new there as far as that with her. in other words she has had those issues all this time, i do not know if i would jump on giving her steroids for that issue bearing in mind that she has other issues now and unless there is a QOL change in bowel/CP symptoms with her that are severe enough to warrant putting her on steroids now, and even then i would try to manage with other means first and see if that effects enough of a change before going to steroids. not looking to have a 2 cat condo here with both on insulin since she is pre-diabetic already. kwim? jmho.
    like that they sent out the TAMU tests right away. good.

bear~ she will be able to contact you via cell phone all the time right? you'll show her how to post here in case she can't reach you for some reason and needs help? (and show her how to FB PM, k?) just in case. have you had some trial runs of her preparing and giving all the meds while you silently watch to get her familair with what/how much/who/how to give all the meds? migth not be a bad idea, can't tell ya how many times i've den pet sitting jobs with major meds and have gotten stumped due to owner leaving out a detail (like yeah okay no problem, give 1/8 tab of blahblah..where the heck does this person keep the pill cutter? or would be thinking good thing i'm a tech and know that that med is kept in frig since owner did not write that detail and someone else might have gone nuts looking for it. or where the heck do they hang the SQuids in this house? or cat is used to getting all med while on kitchen table and freaks out when DPS tries to pill cat on floor. little stuff like that).

hey all in all, pretty good week/report on everyone. love that teddy is doing better too. he is my hero. :)
    and very glad you get to go have some fun and relax next week! (you need anything before then you know where to find me).

23. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

hi Linda I hope this week goes smoothly so you can leave on your vacation w/o any glitches.
    It sounds great. It sounds warm. can I go? lol

couple questions/ comments.

read the u/s report cause I was a little confused with the urodiol for CP. but then saw there were some liver abnormalities, including a small cyst and some gallbladder issue ( distended w/ sediment )
    Just curious if she explained that more about that? Have you ever used urodiol before ? yes i am fishing for info for my civie :smile: as well as curious about emily too !!
    I did read a bit about it on marvistavet

as for hypo allergenic diet...... I do know there are some single protein, single carb type diets that can be experimented around with that aren't horribly high in carbs. I tried some RC canned Venison and peas w/ Winnie. She wouldn't eat the Rabbit or the Duck. If they aren't on janet's chart. the website has the ME calculated out. sometimes you have to dig a little there for it.
    also natural balance has some single pro. single carb source diets too. The company has been reluctant in the past ( few years back ) to give out numbers. maybe better now? something else to check out if you are thinking an elimination diet might help.

Best of wishes for your trip !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.