3/6: Cosmo (oldtimer update)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

sneaking in here.

I can't remember how long ago (2 weeks? 3? 1?) that I last posted about Cosmo.
    About 2 weeks ago, I took him in after FB chatting with Jojo b/c Cosmo was vomitting and had diarrhea. Not sure if he was constipated or a p-itis attack, but when he was lethargic too, I panicked and took him in. They gave my poor baby a small enema, and sent him home with me. He was still pretty lethargic and inappetant, so I threw the CP toolbox at him. I was really worried b/c later that night, when i gave extra SQ (with the cerenia in there) he growled at me, which he's never done. The cerenia stings, but I thought it would be better in the SQ fluids instead of directly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to give to cat with least amt of discomfort? Mind you, he's not going to take it orally (if that's even an option).

He slowly recovered, and we started giving 1/8 tsp of miralax in the food AM and PM. The litterbox has had lots of large presents ever since!!

His tummy is still distended from the ascites, and the IM vet is checking in via email or phone every week. He was not the vet who saw him for the constipation/CP (his off day) but he talked with the vet we did see before our appointment so I wouldn't have to sit there and talk about C's extensive history.

Ugh. I just remembered I need to buy some more accucheck strips. My vial is expired.
    He's been super snuggly, appy is good, pee, poop is normal, and coat is soft and shiny. He's been happy to nappus with me today, which i love.

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

do you warm the squids, let it run into him for a bit to provide a bit of a fluid bubble/cushion, then inject the cerenia into inj. port so cerenia doesn't go in right at once? (i'm assuming you can give cerenia in squids - we just gave it straight).

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

no advice, but am so glad you stopped by to update and LOVE the WCR!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Cosmo is more himself. I miss having my snuggly kitties around. (I'm still in Baltimore.)

5. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

"Anyone have any suggestions on how to give to cat with least amt of discomfort? Mind you, he's not going to take it orally (if that's even an option)."

i'm assuming you mean the injection of cerenia? yeah, you can give it into the bubble left under skin after giving the SQuids. that should cut down on sting factor. also scratch the skin surface of where you are going to inject for a few seconds first, that tricks nerve into not feeling sting as much.

another case of the chart not matching the cat. his WCR sounds lovely. :) having lived years with a cat those chart could not belong to him, really is the WCR that is the one that counts.

very nice that you have such a great vet place that cares and keeps your cat in mind. did the new vet you saw have any more thoughts about what is causing the ascites?

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

the medical stuff is over my head, but I always love to read good Cosmo WCR's. :mrgreen: Nothing better than nappussing with snuggly kitties.

7. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Hi cyn !

i'm glad to hear that cosmo could care less about his labs and is a happy cat cat_pet_icon

wondering --question for other cerenia users ( I always gave sep from squids and yep a little meowch but not much-- but then nothing much phased Winnie) If cat is in process of lots of vomiting, will squids slow absorption time of cerenia? curious in case I ever need to use for Wolfie. Thanks !

nice to see you and cosmo !

8. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Thanks for stopping in with suggestions!

WCF- i injectted the cerenia into the upper port, thinking we would have a bubble first then the meds would get in. But i'll try it your way next time. I hated that he growled at me (but my good baby didn't try to bite me or anything). BTW, I asked the vettybean if I could give the cerenia with SQs and she said that it would probably be a good idea b/c of the sting factor.

Sienne, Jill, & Libby - his usual days, I can not complain. He nappuses, comes to snuggle and gives many headbutts and kissies and loves for me to rub his belly. I love it!

Jojo- he doesn't have a bubble. We only give 50ml and the bubble is so small. Maybe when he needs the cerenia, I give more SQs? Thinking if he needs cerenia, he's probably pretty dehydrated anyway. Covering vettybean did not have any ideas about the ascites, someone mentioned hemmorhage. I have the latest path report... you want it? What I understood from it is that they don't know what is going on. And yes, I love my IM vet. He's def. a keeper.

Cheryl- The first time I gave him a shot of cerenia, I did it direct. He only got maybe 1/2 the injection b/c I shot through the tent (so out of practice I am!) and he seemed to still get good effect from it (at least, he stopped vomitting... so....). What I'm trying to say is that I think even if the SQ slows the absorption, I think it works fine. We need a club. a WHCPALOC club (we hate cp and love our cats).

happy sunday to all!

9. WCF and Meowzi

Upper port? Am a little confused. We have two injection ports, one into the bag (port is attached to/part of bag), and the other is lower, into the line (port is attached to/part of line). We start the flow, let it run for a bit, then inject into the line-port, and as it's injected it's mixed/diluted with fluids to lessen sting (from the B complex), and there's already a bubble ahead so we've really minimized any sting.

Only used cerenia for a few days, so not a consistent user, but curious about your question. Not sure why SQuids would slow absorption time? I'm thinking back to Jess' excellent thread on buprenex on the old board, where she had posted that SQ meds may not be reliable in a dehydrated kitty. From that, I had assumed that adequate hydration is a factor in SQ meds reliability - so my guess would be that SQuids, which would hydrate a vomiting kitty, would actually help with the meds? (that's what I've based my insulin-fluidage assumption on). Or am I off base? Maybe I should confirm with her, instead of just assuming.

10. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

I have two in line ports. One closer to the bag, and one closer to the end of the line (needle). Since I gotta handle SQs on my own, I injected the cerenia into the top port then sat and gave SQs. He was ok for a bit, but I could tell when the cerenia hit, b/c he got squirmy and growly.

I would wonder if you gave a lot of SQs that didn't immediately get sucked up, if the absorption time for the med would be slower. I only give 50ml, and he doesn't really have a bubble for more than a couple minutes (and even then, the bubble is hard to see. black cat!). But were I to give him 150ml and we had a baseball and he carried that around for a few hours and it had the med mixed in... wouldn't it be like taking time released capsule or something?

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad he's feeling better. Nice to see an update.

12. WCF and Meowzi

Thanks for the clarification on the injection ports. I hadn't realized there were two-port lines.

Ahh, that must have been what Cheryl had been wondering too. I hadn't thought of that. I really don't know the answer. What we've seen is, we add famotidine in the morning SQuids (usually 75 mls, until this week: 100 mls) - and some mornings, when Meowzi's pretty inappetant, we do SQuids first, wait 20 mins, and then she'll eat more willingly. No idea if it's the SQuids, the famotidine, or just her - and I don't think she'll tell us. I think we may have to ask Jess or Jojo this question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.