? 3/7 +11 328 AMPS 367, +8.5 84 +10 437 PMPS 383, +2 413, +4.25 385

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and Gato, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

OK her is yesterdays condo http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...36-3-72-3-5-58-4-70-5-80.153889/#post-1621766

I took her test 30 min before her shot this morning I did it twice to make sure. I was speaking with Chris and China and Julie and Punkin, they were saying since I am new and afraid of while her dropping while I am at work about possibly skipping this mornings shot if she is in the 200's, according to her number, what is anyone else's opinion?
    again I should be giving her a shot in about another 15 min?

she was 367 AMPS and I gave her .5 so hope everything is ok with her till I get home in about 8 hrs from now. I left some food in an auto feeder for her to open up mid day

should I test her when I get home? just to see?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Yes - all of the pieces of data (tests) you can get help to paint a picture. The more data you get the clearer the picture.

3. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

So it
    was good I gave her a shot this morning ?

4. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

I have a question, wit h gatos bg at 84 today +8.5 and I fed her spoonful of FF classic will that help her main that number? so as long as she under 200, should I not give her a shot at +12?

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Bump -

Lisa's next dose is due in one hour from time of this post. Is there any chance someone can look at Lisa's spreadsheet for her and check the dosing before her next dose is due, please? Gato is getting some very steep drops from preshot to nadir. (Lisa also posted on FH looking for help but it's quiet on the board this evening.)

Thank you.

Mogs

6. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

thanks!

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

I just tested her and she is way up! I took 2 readings, 431 and 441, what is up with that

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like she's got a big bounce going on from the green today. She may have dropped really fast and that can cause a big bounce. I think since she's so high you could shoot the 0.5 units. Will you be able to get any tests tonight in case she clears the bounce?

9. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

I will try, last night I stayed up to 1 am of course I will test again before I shoot the PMPS

10. carfurby (GA)

You may not need to stay up. I'd get at least a +2 tonight if you can. If she's still high, you will probably be fine to go to sleep. Can you leave food out for her to snack on during the night if you need to?

11. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

yes, I bought a timed feeder and I usually give her a bedtime snack

12. carfurby (GA)

How much longer until PMPS time?

13. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

30 min

14. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

by the way what of the 2 numbers I should put on my +11? 431 or 441?

15. carfurby (GA)

Either one. Or you can put something in the middle like 437. They're so close, it doesn't matter.

16. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok thank you, that is why I did a quick 2 tests just in case one was wrong

17. carfurby (GA)

It's always a good idea to get a 2nd test if you can if you think a number is wonky.

18. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@carfurby - Thank you for checking in with Lisa. :)

Mogs

19. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

yeah, cus it was so high from the +8.5 Number, I just tested her and she was 383, she went down, I gave her a .5 , should I test her at +2 or +3? she seems to drop around +3 at night I think

20. carfurby (GA)

I think I would get a +2. If she's dropping fast you'll catch it earlier and can give her some food.

21. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok u saw her numbers from last night, had to wait it out to see if she would drop more

22. carfurby (GA)

I saw her numbers from last night. It's better to catch a drop earlier so you can try to slow it down. That's why we recommend at +2.

23. carfurby (GA)

I'm going to be signing off soon for the night. If she's dropped 100 points or more at +2, give her 1 teaspoon of LC (low carb) food and post for advice and test again in 30 minutes. Don't forget to update your subject line if you need help. She may continue to bounce tonight and let you sleep.

24. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok thank you hopefully Chris and China chime in they helped me a lot the past few days

25. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

did a +2 up to 413

26. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like Gato has a heck of a bounce going tonight!! You may actually get to go to bed at a reasonable hour for a change!!

Now Gato!! You stop that!! Bouncing is not allowed in the house!! ;)

[​IMG]

Lisa and Gato likes this.
  27. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

so I fed her a bit is that all I do?

28. Chris & China (GA)

You didn't really need to feed her unless it was a normal feeding time....she's not in any danger of going too low

Remember the "+2 rules"?

If the +2 is higher than the PS, that usually signals a bounce and those are the cycles it's usually going to be OK to take a pokey break

How about grabbing one more test right before you are ready to go to bed?

29. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok, I feel bad her poor ears
    she was hungry, I only gave her spoonful
    i also give her a tiny bit as a treat to sit still

30. Chris & China (GA)

You might want to try to find something else to use as a "pokey treat"....using their regular food each time adds calories they don't usually need...You don't want her getting "too fluffy"

China's favorite was a little piece of baked chicken. She didn't like any of the freeze dried treats, but we did finally find one she loves....the Orijen Wild Boar...they're not as dry as the "freeze dried" treats are and she really likes them

Here's another list of Low Carb Treats...maybe you can find something she likes

Are you using a little Neosporin with Pain Relief ointment on her ears? It can really help heal them up

31. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

Ok I will try another treat, she is under weight and was losing weight the last couple times we went to the vet, so I was trying to put a little ore weight on her. She is always thinking she is hungry, She doesn't really like hard treats, so hopefully there are soft ones,

Neosporin!! I will try it!

32. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

have you heard of rachel rey simply nourish source? hey have flavors like chicken, duck and venison and it is 12% crude protein... oh wait I zoomed in on the label of the pic I took and it has potatoes and carrots and sweet potatoes, so not sure about those ingredients..but the first 2 ingredients is duck and chicken broth

33. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, just to clarify about what I said yesterday, was that here in the Lantus/Lev group new people typically shoot everything over 150. Oddly enough, the way Lantus and Lev works means that shooting lower numbers typically results in a flatter cycle. Shooting higher numbers isn't necessarily safer, as you've seen from some of her recent steep drops. Look at what happened when you shot the 103 on the pmps of March 4th. She remained flat and in blue numbers all evening. When you have opportunities to shoot lower numbers AND you're going to be home afterwards to monitor, consider doing so.

You want to use the food list at www.catinfo.org to find the carb value of foods. It hasn't been updated recently, but you can't get the info at all from the labels. I think the ingredients you are listing are probably too high in carbs, but i'm not sure.

We simmered chicken breasts, cut them into 1/2" cubes, froze most of it and kept a couple of tablespoons in the fridge. Those were a couple of days worth of pokey treats for punkin. He loved cooked chicken.

One more thought - most of the decision of Lantus dosing comes from answering the question "how low can this dose make my cat's blood sugar go?" In other words, your primary focus for the dose is not on the preshot, but on the low point. She had a low point of 84 today, which would suggest that you hold the dose.

Hope some of that helps!

34. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok I will try the chicken cubes, she loves those..
    so 84 is ideal?
    and so keep giving .5?

a friend likes the authority brand chicken

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  35. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

ok one more test for miss gato poor baby, gonna find the Neosporin first to protect her poor ears, then hopefully bed time

36. julie & punkin (ga)

yes, 84 is a good nadir, especially when you're starting out. and yes, I'd hold the dose for now.

just curious - your signature line says she was diagnosed March 1, 2016, but you joined Jan 25. How did that all happen? Did you suspect she had it?

37. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

OK final posting, going to try and get some rest tonight, typing mixed up words all night and having difficulty concentration on my homework, just tested her at +4.25 and she was at 385

38. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, I've heard of it, but you're right...when you start to see a bunch of ingredients like sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, other fruits & veggies, those are there to hook us humans....cats don't need them and it just adds to the carb percentage

39. Chris & China (GA)

Get some sleep Lisa!! Gato will be fine overnight

Hopefully she'll be down a little by AMPS, but it could take up to 3 days for the bounce to clear, so just hold the .5 dose for now

40. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

well I put the date I started her on insulin couldn't remember a date, vet has been talking to me about it because the last few times she been to the vet her BG was a bit high and was starting to get higher, started out in the 200's on their meter, then went to 300's and finally ended up being in the 400's once, so they vet talked me into this for her health and they talked me into going on the DM diet, wasted months of money on it, after being on her and the cat info page I switched her to all canned, then waited about 2 weeks or so before I took her back and had it tested gain, then went to insulin. I told the vet she was on all wet food, but she still kept her at the same dosage as if she was still on DM canned and dry

41. Lisa and Gato

Lisa and Gato Member

yeah i saw the protein % and the types of meat, but could't read the label in the store so took a pic and zoomed in

42. Chris & China (GA)

I bought a small magnifying glass and started taking it with me to shop for cat food (yes, you get some awfully funny looks!!)

It's really bad on those 3oz cans!!

43. julie & punkin (ga)

My understanding is that what you read on the labels does not give you the "as fed" amounts that we need for diabetic cats. That's why the recommendation is to use the lists. There are some other lists on the "New to the group?" sticky also. I think the labels give dry matter values, not the as fed values. There is a formula for converting, but I don't just know it.

Thanks for explaining. I was wondering about the date question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.