3 months after I-131, kidney issues?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Back in January my civvie Gett had the radio iodone treatment.

One month recheck:
    T4 - 0.4
    BUN - 38
    Creat - 1.8

Three month recheck from Tuesday:

T4 - 0.7 (normal range 0.8 - 4.0)
    BUN - 47
    Creat - 2.1

So, for now we're leaving the T4 alone, assuming he's fine. But the BUN.Creat has the vet concerened, however Gett was extremely stressed, he hates going to the clinic. She wants him on K/D canned, no sub qs at this point.

Any thoughts?

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

why no SQ yet?? would not flushing help some? I have no answers but fingers crossed and all that

3. tuckers mom

I should check with the vet on that. Maybe I could simply add water to his canned food. I do that for Lilly Grace anyway. Thanks for the idea.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

If they are the normal Antech/idexx ref ranges, that is so not ready for K/D numbers. The way I understand it, if the kidneys are going to fail post hyper T treatment, they do so dramatically. I wouldnt worry about those numbers too much at the moment... no kd for sure, sub qs only if hes dehydrated. Starting them too soon can overwork the kidneys to process the extra fluids..calcitriol couldnt hurt.

5. tuckers mom

Yes, normal Idexx range.

calcitriol - do I need a script for that? I see if can be compounded.

6. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer,

You do need a script for calcitriol.
    I know little about kidney disease (it's really pretty depressing), but my vets don't want to start Boo on fluids until absolutely necessary (I think she said when creatinine hits 4.0). They've recommended adding extra water to the food for now.

7. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Did he fast before the blood work? Phoebe's kidney values went up a little after her treatment. Her T4 stayed down, almost zero. So I am glad to see Gett's numbers going up. Did they do a usg? My vet does all of those on her to get the whole picture. Hope the extra water is enough to do the trick.

8. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Calcitriol is always compounded. The biggest compounder was Island pharmacy, but Francks bought them out. You might investigate other compounders, given all of Francks difficulties.

Not all compounders can make it because it requires extra small measurements, micromeasurements, to make.
    http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/calcitriol/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.