? 30/12 Glen PMPS 205 +2 45

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Islandmomma, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

There are a few people online. The UK will be up soon.
    One day, your cat's diabetic patterns will be better established and you will know when you can sleep and when you can't. You did good tonight.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If he doesn't feel like eating, you could test again in half an hour to see if his numbers are continuing to drop. If so, I'm sure he'd eat a bit of low carb with a smidgen of gravy on top (not too much).

It's been a hectic night. I'm just being awfully cautious.

3. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

+8 252

Goodnight

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Ugh, I just read through your night! Good job bringing Glen up and what a ride you had last night! Everyone online who helped were fabulous!

ETA: Because you had skipped the shot the night before and he bottomed out on you last night, I would give anything over 1 unit for his next shot.

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Is that a typo, that you would give or did you mean would not give anything over 1 unit?

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Sandi! Typo: I would NOT give anything over 1 unit shot.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tammy (@Islandmomma) --

I'm going to respectfully disagree with @Bobbie And Bubba. Regardless of which approach to dosing you're following, when numbers drop into a dose reduction range, you reduce by 0.25u. The only time we've typically encouraged someone to reduce by more than 0.25u is when we have sufficient data to inform us that the depot is overly full.

At this point, you've not been adjusting Glen's dose based on a systematic method. You may want to review both the Tight Regulation (TR) Protocol and the Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) -- there are sticky notes describing each approach at the top of the board -- and decide on which method is the best fit for you and Glen. TR has research data to back up its use but is a more aggressive approach. SLGS was developed and used here for quite some time. If you're not basing dose changes on a method, the numbers can be wonky.

One question for you... I'm assuming from the last few days of AM cycle data that you are not always home to grab a test during the day. Is that assumption accurate? If so, is it feasible to adjust your shot time so you are able to get a test in addition to your AMPS before you leave the house? It's looking to me like Glen's numbers are signaling that he's dropping (e.g., during the PM cycle on 12/28 there was almost a 100 point drop by PM +2 and your AMPS the next day was was 243. His numbers continued to drop by PMPS on 12/29.) There's no way to know what was going on during the AM cycle on the 29th but I'm guessing his numbers were lower than what you saw at PMPS. My kitty, Gabby, was notorious for early, fast drops. As a result, I had the option of setting my shot time at 5:00 (despite my not being a morning person). This allowed me to get some tests in before I left for work so that I knew where her numbers were going. It may not be an option for you but it's something to consider.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Julie. It's her second pj party!

Sienna, she's following SLGS due to her schedule. Your suggestion about shot time is really good.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Wow, well done. You had a rough night. @Red & Rover (GA) you were great staying focused considering. I actually passed out mid post I was writing.

The only thing I can add... have plenty of strips at all times. I'd ordered 400 at a time, when down to 200 ordered another 400..

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Bobbie And Bubba

That is okay to disagree. The protocol is a guideline and sometimes I have deviated from it for safety sake. My advice is what I'd do after seeing how fast and how low a kitty went on a dose that was only 4 cycles of a depot and then a skipped shot the night before.

Your advice in changing the shot schedule to get more test in before leaving for work is a good one.

Critter Mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  11. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Thank you Sienna.

I've been adjusting his dose based on my own discretion and from the advice here.

I am doing SLSG but my vet started us on 2u BID without evening telling me that monitoring was required right away. I did monitor of course, and the numbers I was seeing brought me here.

I can get an AMPS but testing before heading out the door won't happen. I'm a full time working mom and deal with all of that (like others here I'm sure), but I'm also recovering from breast cancer and the chemo and radiation that resulted from that.
    I NEED my sleep! I may only be 37 but it takes a loooong time to recover from that!

I am doing my best that I can right now. Last night almost set me over the edge.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It sounds like your hands are more than full. I hope your recovery is going well. I lost my sister to breast cancer a few years ago and saw first hand how exhausting treatment can be. I offered the suggestion about shot time as just that -- a suggestion. There are many reasons that an early shot time isn't feasible for some people due to health, work schedule, etc. From experience, sometimes there are easy solutions that stare you in the face but you don't see them. When Gabby was diagnosed, she was getting one kind of food and my other kitty, Gizmo was eating different (higher carb) food.. Gabby was constantly shoving him out of his bowl. When I was asking for input about how to handle the situation, a number of people pointed out there was no reason to give Gizmo different food. Duh! I was so focused on Gabby's diabetes that logic completely escaped me!!

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Understandably that last night would unglue you. With all that you have going on, recovery for yourself and working full time and kids I think you are doing a great job. That is why I suggested a lower dose of 1 unit and working it back up if needed since you can't monitor during the daytime. It's your call though, you hold the syringe. We are here for you. :bighug:

Critter Mom and Shoeskitty-GA like this.
  14. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

I was thinking 1u as well. I am home for most of the day but not the evening.

15. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Luckily Glen took himself off kibble so the food part has been super easy!

Very sorry to hear about your sister :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.